firefighter111

the Future of Police cars

Finally, someone has come up with the idea that since fire fighters' have custom fire trucks, and EMTs' have cutsom ambulances, maybe police officers' should have custom patrol vehicles, rather than modified sedans. I really hope that this new car takes off, because other than having the light bar built into the roof, they look and sound awsome

car_photo_222850_7.jpg

Carbonmotors.com

its a very nice looking car, but MikeyPl commented the car yesterday in another thread and it wasnt the nicest of words he used

Hate the be the bearer of bad news, but the Carbon Motors vehicle is still in prototypical development. With it's price tag and the lack of available parts and other issues, they will be lucky if a small agency somewhere in the world with deep pockets picks it up. It simply does not work for large agencies, so they can't buy it, the production capabilities are not there, let alone the logistical support for the vehicles. Why do you think police agencies purchase fleet vehicles? Interchangability, should one get damaged and they have a disabled one laying around, they can cannibalize it for parts. With the Carbon it will take probrably close to a decade to fill out your department if you could afford to order them and if you had any problems the parts are not readilly available for it. It is Litterally a special purpose built vehicle for law enforcement, which is ironic considering other than appearance it has very little in mind for practical law enforcement uses. While everyone may think they want it, the people that matter and purchase the vehicles will never go with that thing. It is just too impractical and too expensive to justify purchasing even 50 units, which would take over 3 years to deliever from that start-up company. A department would switch to GM or Dodge before they went with an unknown like Carbon for their product, since with the other Big 3 Members they can still purchase fleet vehicles such as the Charger or Impala. For those of you familiar with the companies' claims of a competitive price, take a step back and check the features versus the "competitive" price tag, on materials alone they can't afford to be too competitive.

but i would still love to see that car in production :D

I think it's the ugliest thing around. the vehicles currently used by the police forces around the world are what we should stick with. crown victoria's are beautiful vehicles, and so are dodge chargers. the one here looks like a piece of shit. I personally hate it. plus the lights are brutal. oh, and this isn't that new, its been around for a few months.

I would not even want to guess what the average maintainance fee would be on something like that, just the lights alone are not very accessable to change should one go out. The problems I see with it are as already mentioned maintainance issues being highly probable with this thing, along with the fact that flat out armor is not cheap at all. For Level III which I think they are proposing you'll be spending in the neighborhood of 20,000 dollars to apply it. That alone throws out the window the "competitive pricing" unless the car only costs them an additional 5 thousand to make.

The problem with these start-up companies are they just flat out can't compete. It does not matter what market you apply the model to, these guys NEED more revenue than the established people do, it costs money to do R&D, which is why custom-purpose cop cars are not pursued by any large manufactuer. Check out Fire Departments, or Medical Services, how big is the fleet they are required to operate? That is why they have custom vehicles compared to police that have hundreds of vehicles in their fleets that they are required to maintain and purchase. Thus they buy fleet wholesales, which essentially means very little profit margin for the manufactuer. Unless this company is trying to do a community service I highly doubt their car will make it out of prototypical development and into service in any major city. Either way I honestly could not care, I like some of the features but I think it's hideous, but that is my personal opinon.

I kinda like it. Provides more officer safety, and that's just the thing we need. I doubt this will completely replace the Ford Crown Victoria, but it will probably be used like the chargers.

well, for me, i find that the coolest cop car ever. Crown Vics look like crap; i dont care what they do to it or what year it is, it always looks old. cars stopped being good after 1969 and didnt get good again till around 2000. i much rather prefer Impalas as police cars, and right now, the coolest car is the Charger.

this car only costs $100000 dollars now because its in prototype phase; if it reaches full production in 2012, it should go down to around $30000

well, for me, i find that the coolest cop car ever. Crown Vics look like crap; i dont care what they do to it or what year it is, it always looks old. cars stopped being good after 1969 and didnt get good again till around 2000. i much rather prefer Impalas as police cars, and right now, the coolest car is the Charger.

this car only costs $100000 dollars now because its in prototype phase; if it reaches full production in 2012, it should go down to around $30000

According to what I've read, they're expecting it to cost between $25,000 and $75,000, depending on how its configured. That's about what a current modified sedan like a crown vic would cost, so if they're right about the price, then I think it'll come down to the vehicles features.

well, for me, i find that the coolest cop car ever. Crown Vics look like crap; i dont care what they do to it or what year it is, it always looks old. cars stopped being good after 1969 and didnt get good again till around 2000.

I know its offtopic, but does that quote mean that you dont like a Corvette from the 70ties?!? like those on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C3

:scared:

not really. only Corvette Guldstrand and Lingenfelter are good to me. but 1969 Dodge Charger is awesome.

now, when i join STlCoPD, imma get that and a Charger and customize the crap outta both. Charger: Arjent, mirrors, grills, heads, tails, the works and give it some nice sirens. Carbon Motors: same as there, with a little more LEDs everywhere, and give it rumblers :P gonna be awesome to chase after ppl like Team Polizei in the Gumball 3000

Your Pricing sounds more on keel for what it should be, the armor package alone they are trying to sell with it will rake the price at least 20,000, possibly more depending on how complex it is. This thing won't be replacing traditional vehicles, though it may be a gateway for other developers to attempt at a later date. Though few fields have had a knockout with a single manufactuer of their resource, I bet this will be the same thing in this case. For a good example, see MICROSOFT! Their control of the market worked well for us, a single supplier for a cop car will work well for the criminals too:)

According to what I've read, they're expecting it to cost between $25,000 and $75,000, depending on how its configured. That's about what a current modified sedan like a crown vic would cost, so if they're right about the price, then I think it'll come down to the vehicles features.

I personally think that that police car is ugly. Probably has more benefits than current police cars, but still...

I like the one Ami posted, very kickass :P

Sure, if your intentions is to destroy the target...

I prefer more 'traditional' cars (60's, 70's 80's i think), such as the Dodge Diplomat, although the older looking vauxhalls that the British police use look good, especially with the orange stripe.

where did you find that, cause it doesn't even have the right paint scheme for a NYPD vehicle.

@Newfound King: what are drug sniffing horses?

Google => Images => Advanced Image Search => Ford Interceptor => Search.

it doenst have the right paint scheme cause the cars still in developmental phase and thats just a concept drawing

Google => Images => Advanced Image Search => Ford Interceptor => Search.

it doenst have the right paint scheme cause the cars still in developmental phase and thats just a concept drawing

the concept drawing was done back in 2002, acorrding to where I found it. Based on the new look of Fords civillian sedans, and the fact that they're pretty much bankrupt, I don't know if well eve see that car

the concept drawing was done back in 2002, acorrding to where I found it. Based on the new look of Fords civillian sedans, and the fact that they're pretty much bankrupt, I don't know if well eve see that car

Ford is not in as bad a state as Chrysler and GM are, they dont really need money, only credit so as long as they still can get the credit they will probably survive (that is if they learn to make cars people want outside Europe (ford in europe dont have more problems than any other european factory))

In GM and Chrysler's case they need money, credit, new cars, customers that want to buy their cars and basically everything else :)

Guest chevyrulzs2010

The crown vics are traditional, when people think of cop car they think crown vic. The chargers are nice. Also a custom fire truck ranges between 300000 and 1million dollars. Now a cop car is alot smaller but that dont mean its going to be close to a base price of a Tahoe. Even if prices came down they are going to be no less the 80,000 dollars. And say they did come down to taht and eveeryone wants one. Then because they are custom the waiting list is out 5 years and they lose business. Not to mention supply and demand concept. Everyone wants one, they can only make so many at a time. The price goes up.

not really. only Corvette Guldstrand and Lingenfelter are good to me. but 1969 Dodge Charger is awesome.

now, when i join STlCoPD, imma get that and a Charger and customize the crap outta both. Charger: Arjent, mirrors, grills, heads, tails, the works and give it some nice sirens. Carbon Motors: same as there, with a little more LEDs everywhere, and give it rumblers :P gonna be awesome to chase after ppl like Team Polizei in the Gumball 3000

hate to brake it to ya, most police departments dont allow vehicle customization. and if they did you would be completely stupid to put all that money in a car u could just destroy in a chase. And dont say i would just take the items out, cuz odds are it would get destoyed.

wrong, a fully modifided crown vic only cost about $35,000 to $45,000 with top of the line equipment

Guest SHERIFF05

QUOTE (Ami89E1234 @ Dec 15 2008, 12:21 PM) *

Try driving an Impala after driving a Crown Vic for so long...

Regardless of what you may THINK, The crown vic is a proven warhorse, of which i have grown VERY fond of,

The Impala's cannot keep up with it and the looks are traded in for faster acceleration thats about it.

Granted the Impala may be more attractive to the eye, But I am not here to Impress anyone..I am here to get there as fast as possible.As safe as possible.

Id much rather drive the CV any day..

SHERIFF