MountainMan90

[About to enter BETA][Updated 4/24/16] MontScriptIDE (MSI) 0.0.1 ALPHA

Important: This IDE will be open source and anyone can feel free to add and remove features how they see fit as it complies with the GNU GPL V2 licensing on release.

Introduction:

Hello everyone, I am MountainMan90. I have been lurking on these forums for years before I decided to make an account. I am a freelance software engineer and volunteer firefighter here in the state of Vermont.

About:

The motivation for writing this software is simply because the current IDE's for writing mods currently is below standards(little to no documentation, little to no intellisense, ect). I did find one IDE for writing scripts on the German forum, however I speak very little German and I didn't want to reverse engineer the IDE to only rename everything into English as it was a waste of time and would violate the programmers work.

Current features:

- Basic syntax color/highlighting

- Basic project tree navigation

Planned features:

- Advanced intellisense

- Basic script 'compiler'(parser to ensure script will work)

- More eye candy (UI more easier on the eyes)

- And anything you guys would like to see added.

- Debugging variables and allowing you to trace them.

Current state:

PRE Alpha (0.0.1)

Licensing:

GPL V2(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.en.html)

Update 4/23/16:
- Code completion
- Intellisense
- Multiple tabs
- Ability to start a new mod project within the editor
- Ability to open a existing mod project within the editor
- Basic parsing to ensure that the mod will run without error
- Tracking of variables within the mod (int, double, String, ect.)

What I am still working on:
- Parsing the mod to look for memory leaks
- Advance parsing 'compiling' of the mod.

New pictures will be coming tonight!

Pictures:

7pljz1c.png

Depending on how advanced the program perhaps a similar feature to programs like Visual Basic where the program predicts what you will likely type and offers suggestions? That speeds up my programming hugely not sure if it's possible though would require some advanced stuff

Depending on how advanced the program perhaps a similar feature to programs like Visual Basic where the program predicts what you will likely type and offers suggestions? That speeds up my programming hugely not sure if it's possible though would require some advanced stuff

Yeah Intellisense, that is being worked on right now as we speak. It would have other features such as refactoring(renaming). The part that will be the most difficult will be the script 'compiler' - the amount of time that will take is going to be pretty big because I have to make sure that it is working 100% or it will give false positives.

This gonna be the greatest thing ever if it does come out, for one simple reason: No more need to load the mod to know if everything is correct syntactically.

If it is a logical error, then there would unfortunately be no way to test in a compiler.

I've tried the German SDK previously. It was very helpful in assisting my understanding of Em4 scripting, and helped me apply my computer science background into the game. I suddenly understood what were variables for the game, functions that the game used, and that I could create structs, custom functions, and enums too. Really helped me start my freeplay based mission script.

The feature I'd like to see would be the ability to 'trace' (debugging is the proper word I think) variables and their status for example. I'd like to be able to keep track of them so I can see if there are any possible logical errors in the script. It would work well for instances where 'common' variables like int and float would be used. Int values especially for me are something I'd like to see being traced, due to how often they see use in for-loops.

Well, I was starting to try to learn scripting but ill just wait till this version comes out first then :P

But, is it possible to have it like sublime, you can type a few basic things, and then press a key (for example tab), and then the long version comes, would work with a if for example,

Edit:

So for example "if"  would go to

if (condition) {

}

"elseif" 

if (condition) {

} elseif (condition) {

}

Etc.

This gonna be the greatest thing ever if it does come out, for one simple reason: No more need to load the mod to know if everything is correct syntactically.

If it is a logical error, then there would unfortunately be no way to test in a compiler.

I've tried the German SDK previously. It was very helpful in assisting my understanding of Em4 scripting, and helped me apply my computer science background into the game. I suddenly understood what were variables for the game, functions that the game used, and that I could create structs, custom functions, and enums too. Really helped me start my freeplay based mission script.

The feature I'd like to see would be the ability to 'trace' (debugging is the proper word I think) variables and their status for example. I'd like to be able to keep track of them so I can see if there are any possible logical errors in the script. It would work well for instances where 'common' variables like int and float would be used. Int values especially for me are something I'd like to see being traced, due to how often they see use in for-loops.

I can guarantee that this is going to be released. I will add the feature to the list, it shouldn't in theory be hard but as you know: If it seems simple - its not. 

Well, I was starting to try to learn scripting but ill just wait till this version comes out first then  :P

But, is it possible to have it like sublime, you can type a few basic things, and then press a key (for example tab), and then the long version comes, would work with a if for example,

Edit:

So for example "if"  would go to

if (condition) {

}

"elseif" 

if (condition) {

} elseif (condition) {

}

Etc.

Yeah that wouldn't be hard at all, it is almost like how the intellisense is. 

Best idea ever! 

I have no experience with scripting outside of Emergency but if you need something I would love to help 

You can find the Emergency 4 SDK here: http://www.emergency-forum.de/filebase/index.php?entry/1658-emergency-4-sdk/

Off topic: I am a fan of your work! I really wasn't expecting this to catch your eye,

On topic: Thanks for linking me the SDK, would you like to test the pre-release? I would send you the source code and you can review it to make sure nothing malicious is in it and compile and test.

UPDATE:

I honestly never expected to get this kind of good response so the development will go into full force adding features that you guys would like to have. The intellisense is starting to take form as we speak, probably a few days eta so that I can ensure there is no bugs.