bossman

Starting and stopping Mods on em4

There are many reasons as to why people start and then stop mods. It could be because of time constraints with work or personal life or school, it would be that they lost interest or simply didn't have the skills/confidence to produce a full mod. People don't get paid to make mods, its a hobby or something they do if they have spare time. Also have you tried making a mod for EM4? Do you know how long it takes to make one?

Using the Fairhaven City mod I was working on (edit of Bama's Montana mod v1.2) as an example, when I started it I was unemployed so I had all the time in the world to do it, but I started a new job where I was working full time on shift patterns and I didn't have the time to finish it.

But I can understand your frustration though, especially when you have been waiting a while to play said mod and it gets abandoned and never finished. I can name a few but I won't lol. Just keep in mind that people do have lives outside of this game/forum, real life comes 1st before a mod.

Aside from working a full-time job or being involved in the military/other government services you also have to bear in mind some people are of an age to have families of their own, children for example and spouses.  The reality is that everyone's available time is going to vary, the things that ultimately occupy their time is totally up to them.  Being that this is a hobby, just like watching tv is for some people, you kind of have your own level of interest in your respective hobbies outside of obligations.  Things you gotta do have to come first, be it school/education, medical issues, familiy related issues, work-related all should come before a hobby.  

So it is understandable that this hobby isnt a critical priority for everyone around, but someone should reasonably assess their available free-time that they are willing to devote towards this hobby prior to starting a mod.  As it really is, you have to be willing to put in a good bit of time and effort to make a proper comprehensive mod, if you don't have that type of time to give it really is unwise to start a public mod and instead keep it private..  People kind of forget you don't have to make a mod for other people, but instead can work on your own projects for your own intentions and ultimately, when it's completed decide later to share it with the community.  I think people would be quite pleased and surprised to see completed projects appear in the first post of topics as opposed to a to-do list for a WIP in every case.

Aside from working a full-time job or being involved in the military/other government services you also have to bear in mind some people are of an age to have families of their own, children for example and spouses.  The reality is that everyone's available time is going to vary, the things that ultimately occupy their time is totally up to them.  Being that this is a hobby, just like watching tv is for some people, you kind of have your own level of interest in your respective hobbies outside of obligations.  Things you gotta do have to come first, be it school/education, medical issues, familiy related issues, work-related all should come before a hobby.  

So it is understandable that this hobby isnt a critical priority for everyone around, but someone should reasonably assess their available free-time that they are willing to devote towards this hobby prior to starting a mod.  As it really is, you have to be willing to put in a good bit of time and effort to make a proper comprehensive mod, if you don't have that type of time to give it really is unwise to start a public mod and instead keep it private..  People kind of forget you don't have to make a mod for other people, but instead can work on your own projects for your own intentions and ultimately, when it's completed decide later to share it with the community.  I think people would be quite pleased and surprised to see completed projects appear in the first post of topics as opposed to a to-do list for a WIP in every case.

I agree with you - but my decision to arrest was made only by the fact that I got bored Modding

I'll just add that there is hope that something demented mind that this time that I spent was not wasted.

When I was 20 years old and in college I had all the time in the world. No worries and just mod. Then life hits like a ton of bricks and alot of the younger crowd here does not understand it, like how I did not when I was there age. When you are younger you don't realize how much responsibility and time wasted there is. I am married now. Active duty military and I am getting my masters degree. I still mod on the side but the nights of 6 hours in front of the computer making lights or a model are long gone. I am lucky to have an hour set aside for my wife. But I still mod. It's slow as shit but I do it. So to answer your question on why people like me stop a mod before it starts is not because we don't know how big of a process is or not, but we are sick of the community bugging us every hour about progress when we barely have time to our families. That is why. Mods can be worked on without you knowing about it and that is in my opinion better because you have no community member bashing you or sending you tons of messages asking for updates. And that reason in itself is a good reason to hang up the mouse and stop. Why would you want to create. Mod for people who just bash you?