FlareRaxer

Better performance for laptops

Hey guys, i have a Lenovo Y510P with an Intel i7 haswell, and a Geforce GT750M graphic card.

My problem is that EM 5 is very heavy, on the lowest graphic settings (it's not better when i set it on medium or high).

Any idea have to improve the games stability? 

I can play BF4 wwith medium graphics and it works smooth, but not EM5...

Don't expect magic to happen, but there are a few simple and standard tips to improve performance.

Firstly, some laptops have power modes which can be used to prioritise performance or battery. Check these are set to give you maximum performance.

Closing down as many background tasks and services you can will help - personally I use task manger for this, but only do that if you feel confident with it.

Check all your games and all your drivers are updated to the latest patches. Also, reduce your in game settings. Lower graphics settings and resolutions mean better performance generally. Find the right balance for you between quality and performance. Sometimes this involves me setting custom resolutions for games.

Finally, you could always consider hardware upgrades. This costs money and laptops are all different in the ways they can be upgraded so be sure to do your research and feel confident before buying something. I recently upgraded my own laptop which made an improvement. Some people would argue that laptops are never worth upgrading as gaming platforms, however.

Hey guys, i have a Lenovo Y510P with an Intel i7 haswell, and a Geforce GT750M graphic card.

My problem is that EM 5 is very heavy, on the lowest graphic settings (it's not better when i set it on medium or high).

Any idea have to improve the games stability?

I can play BF4 wwith medium graphics and it works smooth, but not EM5...

Go in nvidia control pannels and add em5 and face to uses the gt750m

I have laptop with a gtx970m and em5 tried to run on Intel HD instead of the 970m

^That only occurs on laptops which have the switchable graphics cards, mine does the same on some games with attempting to use the intel instead of the amd dedicated, so verify that if that is applicable that your laptop has multiple video cards it is indeed using the dedicated one instead of the integrated one.  Not all laptops have multiple cards in them, some will only have the higher end dedicated card.

The other key thing is to make sure that the power management setting is set on high performance, not balanced or any other setting. Wkboy is correct in suggesting that option, it is by far the most effective option to improve gaming performance on a laptop, with it set to balanced or lesser than that you WILL notice a performance drop vs high performance settings.  Realize this setting will chew through the battery extremely fast, so be sure to not leave it on that setting when you're on battery and not gaming.

The above two items are the largest impact you can expect to see in changing your performance within gaming, there are other things you can do that will help some depending on the game that you're playing. Better games have more options to adjust and fine-tune for your hardware, budget titles generally don't have these options which is why alotta people have issues with games like the EM series... The more options within the game you can adjust, the better performance you can expect.  Turning down things like shadows, reflections, smoke/particles has a massive impact on the GPU load it is put under. Yes it does take away some of the pretty graphics of the game but it will improve your frame rate and reduce lag greatly to turn them down or off.

Laptops are not exactly ideal for gaming platforms, because of the limited space and abilities to dissipate heat, they are designed to not have quite the same performance as their desktop counterparts. That being said, it is not to say that a laptop cannot be capable of playing very intensive games (usually you have to go to medium settings for the best performance, though some can do full).  My laptop for example can play the latest games that came out for the holidays without issues, including EM5, but most the time you have to fine-tune the settings for the rendering to make the most of the game's framework.

What most people forget is that usually performance issues that are the result of the game's coding makes it to where a good deal of machines will struggle to play the game without experiencing the defects that result from the game not being properly optimized.  Having the best performing hardware according to a "benchmark" test, does not in any way translate into real-world performance being the same as those benchmarks... Think of it just like what a car manufacturer claims their car is able to do performance wise vs. what it really does in real-world driving.  Generally what they claim isnt what it actually does when outside of controlled circumstances, hardware in machines suffers the same flaw.  Games that have proper optimization and plenty of options for graphical settings are the ones that cause the least problems when it comes to fine-tuning for your machine's specs, the ones that lack that sometimes can be adjusted using the software included with the card, but generally it has limited effect where the in-game setting options will have the greatest.