helljumper51

creating models or using other models?

So i have been thinking of this. I noticed since hoppah released his mod for public use, there sprouted alot of new mods. The majority use the la mod models. There are a few where they use their own they made but the majority use models from other people or other mods. Now i want to know what you all think about this. In my opinion i wish more people would make the effort to use new models and learn. Its not like making scripts which is pointless. There is only a few ways to make a script but you could have hundreds of different models. Plus it is what you see and what you interact with the majority of the game. I feel it also helps you immerse in the mod. Why should i play a mod that just uses la models and the la map when i can iust play the la mod? What do you all think?

I moved your topic since it really isnt a mod in development nor a concept, but the point you bring up is rather valid IMO.  Being that I took the time to create new content I tend to agree with you that it would be nice to see people take the effort to create their own for the custom type of rigs.  When it comes to things where a suitable base exists, I feel it is a waste of time to re-create the wheel if it already exists... But alotta times people are just reskinning vehicles that do not really apply, or could be done custom for the mod to give it a unique feel.

I completely agree about the models and would love to create my own, however I don't know where to start!! I have read most of the tutorial info, but I don't really know where to actually begin.. Mainly in relation to what programs are most commonly used to create the models, how or where do you actually start getting a real life vehicle into a program to then build a model, animating the model etc.. If someone has a few minutes (figuratively speaking) to point me in the right direction, that would be awesome or if there is any other info, that would be great also.. I would really like to learn and make my own, as some of the models other people have made and amazing.. A big thank you to everyone who continues to make EM4 mods and to those who will help make EM5 amazing as well..

I agree with your sentiment. I only came along to make models because I was getting bored of the LA Mod content being thrown around along with bits and pieces of the Montana Mod and Nnico's 3d Models.

But I do not agree that scripting is useless. The other side of those models would be to make them functional ingame. That's where scripting comes along.
As someone who can do both, I'd say that they are of equal importance.

I can see your point, it does get a bit boring seeing the same models being used throughout different mods. But not alot of people know how to model, only a select few who have the skills and knowledge to make new models can, and because reskinning is the "easiest" part of modding alot of people do it. Now if I could make new models I would do it, but like Cola75 said, I don't know where to start. And scripting isn't really that pointless, I mean without all these new scripts such as all the LAmod ones, Limited water supply, etc we wouldn't have all the new features which we know and love today.

Learning to model is not necessarily easy. There are barrier to entry:

1. Cost (Zmodeler costs money and zmodeler is needed to make models for em4 at one point or another.

2. Learning curve. The concepts of modeling, terminology, and how to use your given program can be a bit overwhelming for a first time user. Downloading blender and opening it up for the first time can be quite intimidating and discouraging.

3. It's an art, and not everyone is artistically inclined. It's just like drawing. Everyone CAN do it, but not everyone can do it WELL.

For me it was hard to self-teach myself basic modeling. Videos kind of helped but the best way was to get with someone who knew how and spend some time watching him do stuff over TeamViewer.

Most people who get their feet off the ground and can get to a stage where they can edit existing models and make tweaks or even create basic objects (like myself) never progress beyond that stage, because honestly, making a vehicle from scratch is difficult, especially if you're not artistically inclined in 3D modeling.

Very few people get passed the initial barrier of starting and as a result reuse existing models. Casual modelers like myself are able to make new things with existing content (a concept I call "asset shuffling"), and others like my modding partner are capable of creating new things from scratch. Luckily I'm able to contribute scripting which my partner knows nothing about. While Scripting may not be an art, it is a science which requires no less amount of practice to master.

1. Cost (Zmodeler costs money and zmodeler is needed to make models for em4 at one point or another.

You make me laugh  :laugh:  :laugh: I have full version of Zmodeler 2 and I did not pay a single crown.

You make me laugh  :laugh:  :laugh: I have full version of Zmodeler 2 and I did not pay a single crown.

Piracy is illegal, and you brag about it, so for a parting gift for the rest of the year you are suspended.