mrdavid1984

Sixteen Ton Entertainment, any chance for the rest of the Emergency games on Steam?

Hello, Sixteen Tons Entertainment, if you are reading this, any chance you guys/gals can bring the rest of the Emergency games on Steam? I notice we're missing Emergency: Fighters for Life, Emergency 2: The Ultimate Fight for Life, Emergency 3: Mission-Life, Emergency 4/911: First Responders on Steam and would be nice if you can bring them before the release of Emergency 5 next year or so, at least Emergency 3 and Emergency 4..any chances of this ever happening?

Hello, Sixteen Tons Entertainment, if you are reading this, any chance you guys/gals can bring the rest of the Emergency games on Steam? I notice we're missing Emergency: Fighters for Life, Emergency 2: The Ultimate Fight for Life, Emergency 3: Mission-Life, Emergency 4/911: First Responders on Steam and would be nice if you can bring them before the release of Emergency 5 next year or so, at least Emergency 3 and Emergency 4..any chances of this ever happening?

You do release the newest game on that list is one over six years old. While em4 would not have issues there may require work to work on modern operating systems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

IMO its a classic mistake of the gaming companies to not alter the framework to work within newer computer systems and re-release the games with such compatibility.  For the MS-Dos based games yeah that's a great deal of work, but on others it's as simple as making it 64 bit compatible for newer systems, granted you can't charge the original retail price of the older game, but i find most people would pay 10 bucks for a re-release where the game was optimized for newer machines.

IMO its a classic mistake of the gaming companies to not alter the framework to work within newer computer systems and re-release the games with such compatibility.  For the MS-Dos based games yeah that's a great deal of work, but on others it's as simple as making it 64 bit compatible for newer systems, granted you can't charge the original retail price of the older game, but i find most people would pay 10 bucks for a re-release where the game was optimized for newer machines.

there a company doing that.  called GOG

The problem is it takes time a money to make some of this game run on newer OS. it not as simple as adding a 64bit mode.  Do you know if example DirectX 1 function still work in Direct x 11?   Most windows game require Direct X to work.  Do you know what the cost of upgrading direct X and any software code to a newer system is? 

In reality.  A Dos game is way easyer to port because you can make a DOS Box emulated stick in that emulate. and your done.  

now let say direct X is not issue.  There there clock speed of the CPU.  Most cell phones have a processor way after then the typical desktop these days.    So if the game is hard code to have the cpu check on it x cylce .  Instead that happening once every 100ms it might know happen 1ms.  Em4 and em3.  would likely be no issue but 1 and 2.  May not work without a lot of work.   Which means they have to take developers off em5. 

MY computer has windows 8 (yeah I know I know) in order to give it backwards compatibility all I had to do was install several of the Direct X versions in order to get the files that older DX have that the DX 11 or whatever they are up to doesnt have within it, and to install the Visual Basic distributables for several of the packages from I believe 2004 on to today both 64 and 32 to get all required for them.. Now I can run everything without issue EXCEPT any dos game, even trying to shell most of them they don't like to run anymore on this.. However, 32 bit and 64 bit games that aint dos games I can get to run without issues.. One game that is old required a special app because my vid card couldnt render it, the rest have taken very little effort to run..

In truth 8 is easier on compatibility from my experience than the vista/7 were.

MY computer has windows 8 (yeah I know I know) in order to give it backwards compatibility all I had to do was install several of the Direct X versions in order to get the files that older DX have that the DX 11 or whatever they are up to doesnt have within it, and to install the Visual Basic distributables for several of the packages from I believe 2004 on to today both 64 and 32 to get all required for them.. Now I can run everything without issue EXCEPT any dos game, even trying to shell most of them they don't like to run anymore on this.. However, 32 bit and 64 bit games that aint dos games I can get to run without issues.. One game that is old required a special app because my vid card couldnt render it, the rest have taken very little effort to run..

In truth 8 is easier on compatibility from my experience than the vista/7 were.

Yes but only a small percent of people are running window 8. Most have windows 7, vista heck there still people running XP. And just because your able to do those not mean joe with no real computer skill buying on steam can get it working. So that means all that has to be test for various systems.

I could get any game I want running my system. Or any other system. But then, I only have a BS in Information Science and having fiddling with computer since before EM1 was released. Before the days of the 386.

Yeah but that's kind of my point, the majority of the games out there in order to be forward compatible really have only required VB versions and DX versions to go forward on new operating systems.  I skipped win7 so idk how much better/worse it is on that one, but i went through vista and 8, in both cases most older software ran into problems because the OS did not ship with the versions the programs required.  Once I put in certain versions of DX and VB on both they became able to run much more older software, for a good deal of games out there it is just that simple to include the required vb/dx versions instead of assuming as the original versions did that a user will have some of the updates required.

For whatever reason MS with both VB and DX in later versions omit a great deal of required content for programs, that are not even really that old.  I find that the reason most people struggle with installing things is because the installers do not push for them to run and verify their required frameworks are up to date, in alot of cases they just see DX11 and go oh ok that should do it, sadly it doesnt and you have to manually do it yourself after the fact.

I am aware I am in the very small minority in running windows 8, but in the end if anything were to be more difficult to run backwards compatible, it really should've been this one, not 7 which is basically the polished version of vista, but in my experience using vista it was more prone to hitting a wall on older applications than win8 is.. The exception is MS-Dos based apps do not like windows 8 one bit.  

What I'm getting to is what was required to "fix" the compatibility issues for most of the software I have installed on my computer was the DX versions/Visual basic versions, once they were installed (ironically the VB I had to do for Z2) every other game since has given me no issues once those changes were made. When I had vista it was usually as simple as the same issues that caused problems for that as well.  I just have experience using computers, I do not a formal education for computer development or anything of the like, so if I can figure out how to make these things work with minimal effort so too could developers.

Thank you, I've went ahead and message him, hopefully he sees it, I'm hoping they can at least try to bring those games to Steam, it'll be truly wonderful. 

I believe somewhere in here they said they would be bringing it forward to steam as they have with previous releases of the game.

I believe somewhere in here they said they would be bringing it forward to steam as they have with previous releases of the game.

Really? That's awesome if it's true, well so far I haven't seen Turk check the message and I haven't seen him sign on since almost 3 days ago, does he usually frequently go on here or just once in a blue moon kind of thing?

Hello and sorry for my late appearance here.

No, we are not planning on releasing older games on steam.

As stated above, it would cost us more money to rework everything, than we would get out of it.

Meaning, it is a simple financial decision, even if we would like to bring all our games to steam.