Yeah, if you're going to join a department they'll have gear for you. And besides the helmet isn't the part you would need to practice with anyway, the bunker coat and pants along with the SCBA are the things that you need to train for/with.

Some departments or firefighters can choose to have designated training gear, apart from their field gear. I know in my department we train with our field gear, but we're all free to purchase our own gear for either purpose, training or field. So long as it matches everyone else's and is NFPA Compliant. All depends on the department or firefighter. To answer the OP, yes they are the same company. MSA acquired CGF a while ago, as explained in this article: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/msa-completes-acquisition-of-cgf-gallet-of-france-77289757.html

He's from the Uk i believe, and if so you have no need for this, stop wasting time buying helmets you'll never ever need. Get out and train your ass off and work hard to make yourself the best candidate possible. Physically and Mentally.

PPE and a helmet is useless and not to be to harsh but out of firefighters recruited in the uk in the last 10 years I have never ever ever heard of someone who went out and bought gear.

You are wasting your time and money, get cracking on relevant stuff, PQA's, and cardio + upper body strength training.

Best of luck.

And on the note of purchasing your own helmet:  It's extremely common here in the US for a firefighter, especially volunteers, to purchase their own helmets if they so desire.  For instance, a friend on a neighboring department to mine purchased a new helmet for himself--an all-leather New Yorker with a leather shield, because he wasn't satisfied with the helmet his department provided.  It's rather common to purchase your own helmet here.

I am not in the fire service but I train company employes how to use fire extinguishers on live fires and we wear a tunic and gloves for starting the fires