999madtom

Your emergency stories

March 15, 2012

Dispatched code 4 (lights and siren) to roll over on Highway 1 (trans-Canada highway) near Chaplin.

Dispatch information: "You're responding for a single vehicle rollover, bystanders state there are bodies in the ditch"

All 5 occupants of the truck were drinking, they were driving ~150km/h and rolled their truck

Upon arrival there were 3 DOA, 2 still alive were ejected from the truck. First responders still had not found the 5th pt, who was still alive.

Spinal immobilized the 2 alive pts, load and go, go them to the regional hospital where they were stabilized, and then sent code 4 to the trauma center 50 min away.

Both pt's lived and are (surprisingly) both able to walk

2 most memorable parts of that call:

- all 5 of the pts weren't wearing footwear (they were thrown so fast their their shoes and socks came off)

- my partner and I stopped on the way back to base to watch the northern lights which I had never seen so bright before.

http://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17390&Itemid=33

December 2012,

I was working night shift in the communications center. We we're working a 3 person shift (1 police dispatcher, 1 fire dispatcher, and 1 floating dispatcher-ME). It had been a quiet Sunday night, and we were just abut to put in a movie and make some popcorn... The fire dispatcher takes a call, the guy on the line says he's on his roof. It sounds interesting so I jump on the line, assuming it's an attempt. When I click on I can hear a beeping in the background, and he repeats he's on the roof and the building is on fire. He can't get out the door, the hallway and the stairs are on fire.The building was a mixed use ,a store front with apartments above. Suddenly every line lights up in the center, and there all people stating they're trapped by the fire. The 3 of us start grabbing them while we started the dispatch.

One of our county sheriff officers is just down the street. He gets on scene and advised multiple subjects jumping, and the building was well involved with fire blowing out alpha and the roof. second unit on scene was our full time EMS unit. A film crew that was down the street had pulled a van in front of the building to help people out of the windows. The EMT driving gets out and catches a baby thrown from the second story. They then pushed the van aside and used the larger box on the ambulance to get people out of the second story. They scream out on the radio declaring an MCI. The volunteer department just a few blocks away ran the tower out the door first to help effect rescue. Every LEO in the area responded to help assist with the rescues.

In less than 15 minutes we had stuck the box for a 5th alarm plus the MCI incident, with fire and ems crews from 3 counties. We had over 20 fire trucks and 23 ambulances on scene, treating about the same number of patients. The bulk of the incident took place over 4 hours, but still feels like it took 25 minutes. Despite some serious injuries, no one was killed in the incident. The arsonist, who lit the fire in the buildings only hall and stairwell, has yet to be caught.

That will remain one of the finest and most terrifying nights of my life.

December 2012,

I was working night shift in the communications center. We we're working a 3 person shift (1 police dispatcher, 1 fire dispatcher, and 1 floating dispatcher-ME). It had been a quiet Sunday night, and we were just abut to put in a movie and make some popcorn... The fire dispatcher takes a call, the guy on the line says he's on his roof. It sounds interesting so I jump on the line, assuming it's an attempt. When I click on I can hear a beeping in the background, and he repeats he's on the roof and the building is on fire. He can't get out the door, the hallway and the stairs are on fire.The building was a mixed use ,a store front with apartments above. Suddenly every line lights up in the center, and there all people stating they're trapped by the fire. The 3 of us start grabbing them while we started the dispatch.

One of our county sheriff officers is just down the street. He gets on scene and advised multiple subjects jumping, and the building was well involved with fire blowing out alpha and the roof. second unit on scene was our full time EMS unit. A film crew that was down the street had pulled a van in front of the building to help people out of the windows. The EMT driving gets out and catches a baby thrown from the second story. They then pushed the van aside and used the larger box on the ambulance to get people out of the second story. They scream out on the radio declaring an MCI. The volunteer department just a few blocks away ran the tower out the door first to help effect rescue. Every LEO in the area responded to help assist with the rescues.

In less than 15 minutes we had stuck the box for a 5th alarm plus the MCI incident, with fire and ems crews from 3 counties. We had over 20 fire trucks and 23 ambulances on scene, treating about the same number of patients. The bulk of the incident took place over 4 hours, but still feels like it took 25 minutes. Despite some serious injuries, no one was killed in the incident. The arsonist, who lit the fire in the buildings only hall and stairwell, has yet to be caught.

That will remain one of the finest and most terrifying nights of my life.

Wow! Good job!

I was in a park when my brother had a big seizure. It turned out his medicine didn't dissolve all the way. When he fell, he hit his chin on some mulch, and it was bleeding where he hit it. I got him on his side and we called 911, a few minutes later the local fire department's ambulance, and another ambulance service pulled up and took vitals. He had to get 6 stitches at the hospital for his chin. It's not the biggest story, but it's all I got.