Semper Fidelis

International Affairs Homework. I Need Help please ?

Hey guys, I have a homework. Unfortunately we are having Int Affairs lessons in 9th grade (after having a prep. class). Our teacher wanted us to;

1- What's the situation in Syria ?

2-Find a solution for Syrian civil war ?

3-Describe the Syrian civil war with the 3 main thoughts of Int. Affairs; Idealizm, Realizm and Pluralizm ?

4-What's the role of Turkey in this situation and what Turkey can do (Bcz,I'm from turkey and the teacher asked that too so had to ask) sorry ?

5-And who are the sides ?

yes, these are my homework. I need serious help guys. I have to pass this class so I can go to study abroad with AFS (I know it has nothing to do with it but I think I have to pass this). Thank you!

yours faithfully,

Emre

1. The Syrian people were inspired by the Arab Spring to rebel against their oppressive government.

2. The Syrian president steps down or flees the country also the government could defeat the rebels and restore order in the country (doubtful)

3. Good luck!

4. Turkey is currently sheltering refugees from Syria and is most likely supporting the rebels with aid and supplies.

5. Currently it is the Rebels against the regime. Russia has provided supplies to the Syrian government and blocked major sanctions in the U.N. China has blocked any major sanctions against Syria in the U.N. The U.S. and assorted N.A.T.O. countries have attempted to level sanctions on Syria but have been stopped by China/Russia they have also "condemned" the government killing of civilians. "condemned" means essentially asked them to lay off in a non-threatening way.

Hope this helps.

i was being serious im not good with the Syria thing lol :holdglass:

nahh, I'm not good at it too, and trust me, if I fail from this I'll go there kill as much as guilty people I can, even obama and megan fox won't be able to calm me down

Idealism, realism and pluralism

I don't know anything about the syrian war, but given that it's arabian, and probably like the rest, here's my guess:

Idealism: People had the idea that it would be great to overthrow the government, and create this big ruckus, simply because they didn't agree. Now you have rebels trying to create a utopia, but instead creating a dystopia.

Realism:

They're going to replace Hitler with Stalin. One bad guy for another. Or on terms everyone will get, you've started the switch from brand name lard to store brand lard. It's the same crap, just with a different name, and maybe a new picture

Idealism, realism and pluralism

I don't know anything about the syrian war, but given that it's arabian, and probably like the rest, here's my guess:

Idealism: People had the idea that it would be great to overthrow the government, and create this big ruckus, simply because they didn't agree. Now you have rebels trying to create a utopia, but instead creating a dystopia.

Realism:

They're going to replace Hitler with Stalin. One bad guy for another. Or on terms everyone will get, you've started the switch from brand name lard to store brand lard. It's the same crap, just with a different name, and maybe a new picture

Thanks king! I've talked with a guy from the MFA. He helped me. I almost got the same answers if we discount the fun facts. I won't get a 100 (A+) from that work. Maybe 85 (A or B+). Anyway I still couldn't get an answer about the pluralism. Maybe the description is that, arap spring effected on syria and people wanted to overthrow the dictatorship. Anyway I wished a good world when I was 7. But now I think the world would be a better place to live if we kick a few politicians. :)

Realism:

Stalin Bin Laden.

In other words, you get the added bonus of gradual religious extremism. I'm not saying dictatorial regimes are any good (Al-Assad, Gaddafi, Mubarak, Hussein, etc), but for some reason they usually go easy on enabling and enforcing religious laws - if you want to preach your own cult of personality, it gets hard to preach obedience to another god (lest you claim yourself to be said god's envoy, but then people seem to realize much quicker that you're missing a few nuts and bolts and show you the door)

The problem is that when the dictator is ousted and people get a chance to vote, the more progressive option is almost non-existent - or forgotten. People usually have to choose between a party that rallies members of the fallen oppressive government (yeah, trustworthy guys, aren't they?) or a "party of the people" that just so happens to preach religious values (separation of church and state, anyone?). Guess who always ends up winning.

Sure, the evil dictator is gone and people get to vote. But then what happens? Women start wearing shrouds, prayer becomes mandatory, and so on.

Remember, as weird as it may sound, Iran is a democracy (a shifty one, but hey). Thing is, Westerners wished that the Arab Spring countries would become more like Turkey, but they're rather turning into Iran. Look at how things are doing right now in the Middle East and tell me if we need more Irans.

I just don't like Iran having nukes. It is bad enough that most of the world already has them but the more petty dictators that get them the more dangerous the world is going to be.

I personally think Iran knows better than to use them. Lets say they ever got one off, that would be the end of their country and I think they know it. Each country is concerned with self preservation and I think they know that the retaliation would wipe them off the map. The the dangerous part is the nuclear weapon getting into the hands of some extremist group. That is something to be very concerned about.

Personally, I don't think us Canadians mind the Iranians doing there thing, so long as the price of oil stays low. Now the Americans... They aren't exactly besties with Iran

I guess you missed all those times lately where Harper openly voiced his support to Israel. Canadian delegates are known to walk out of the room when the colorful Iran dude speaks at the UN. We do mind, it's just that whatever happens, we don't really have our own means to do something about it - adding the "Royal" prefix to our military doesn't make them suddenly more awesome. At the moment it's just an expensive taxi service for VIPs and/or sandbag laying service in case of flooding...

I just don't like Iran having nukes. It is bad enough that most of the world already has them but the more petty dictators that get them the more dangerous the world is going to be.

If they ever make one (emphasis on "if" and "one"), I'd say it's more likely to blow up right in their face than ever being used against someone else. Worse case scenario, they might make one that works and just use it as a madman's leverage tool ("Tsk tsk tsk, no you don't, we have bomb!")

So our problem is, we don't want them (Egypt,Libya,Alberia,Syria) to be the new Irans. They would allow us to check their facilities if they are not building one. In my opinion, even they do one they would only target Israel and Turkey. It means death of a country. In that time I would like to join one of the armies of NATO to take a hot revenge. They are already threating to strike turkey, israel and the hosting US bases in the region. :)