Guest e34p

.v3o files

Hi all

Currently in the process of making a new model. I've made it in zmodler and saved it as a .v3o file and put it in the mod files. But when I load up the editor the model has a missing object box instead of my new model.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

problem one:

if you export to v3o, always do that twice in a row!

otherwise it will occur that zmodeler just creates an "empty" file. if you export again and overwrite the empty file it will work!

you can see that if you open the folder where you save it to and check the file size, it will be 0kb's (empty) after the first export and will gain size (file with data in it) after the second export.

problem two:

if you add parts/new meshes to a vehicle via zmodeler, let's say a lightbar, they will not automatically be "a part" of the original vehicle structure!

every seperate "model" will has it's own texture(s). but several do not necessarily have the same... lok don't know how else to say this :P

anyway, the key is to actually link those two modelfiles by making it ONE.

if i'm not completely mistaken you do that in "object mode", select the first model.

then "modify" -> "attach" -> and select the other model to which it should be attached.

then you should have one model to which all previously used textures should be assigned!

BUT, just as a tipp...

i would recommend to add lightbars, push bars, antennas etc as childs to the vehicle model with the editor, makes stuff a lot easier imho ;)

hope i could help

greetz

rett

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to duplicate PNG files so you would have multiple units with different roof numbers and colors for the unmarked units. I am not good with changing files v3o. For light bars still can't figure out how to get them to work in objects file light bars all have a black box. The light bars I down load only have the v3o, PNG dds files not the e4p file. I have read on the files but still I am not getting it thanks Finn.

don't get me wrong, but you should REALLY read some modding tutorials!!

if it's hard for you to distinguish between file formats and what they contain you miss some basic modding information.

again:

.PNG is for graphics (= texture = skin

.V3O is the model file (= wireframe = objectmesh)

.e4p is the prototype file, can be found in the prototypes folder of any mod and basic EM4. all information on lights, etc. what you adjust in the editor will be saved in this file.

prototypes can be created with/in the EDITOR! it's necessary to create a prototype file if you add in a vehicle/object/house and while you are trying to do that the editor will automatically show a dialogue where you can enter a name for it and save the proto.

for everything else, first read the tutorials you can find on this (or other) forum(s).

if you can read/understand german, this would be the best thing to start with

http://www.emergency-forum.de/board41-emergency-4/board135-emergency-4-moddingteams/board172-irc-modding/board112-modifikationen-und-downloads/31303-download-anf-nger-mod-eine-mod-zum-nachbauen/

advice if you can't -> google translate ^^

one last thing...

most beginner problems have been discussed here A HUNDRED times, so i'd suggest that you should read through some older threads in this modding help section to find your way!

this might help you answer some questions yourself, if in doubt, post again.

that's all what - at least - i can do for now ;)

greetz