ChrisF202

NYPD Emergency Services Unit

Does anyone know what weapons are issued to NYPD ESU officers? Ive seen them on the news with Glock pistols and M4 carbines but I recall that they previously used the Ruger Mini 14. Is the Mini 14 still issued? Do they have shotguns?

Now that I asked my weapons questions. Are all ESU officers certified as EMTs or paramedics? The Suffolk County Police Department (where I live) also has an Emergency Services Unit and all their officers are certified paramedics and everyone going through the county run police academy is a certified EMT (I believe). Like the NYPD ESU they handle both heavy rescue/confined space rescue/car accident extraction and tactical/heavy weapons support.

Does anyone know what weapons are issued to NYPD ESU officers? Ive seen them on the news with Glock pistols and M4 carbines but I recall that they previously used the Ruger Mini 14. Is the Mini 14 still issued? Do they have shotguns?

Now that I asked my weapons questions. Are all ESU officers certified as EMTs or paramedics? The Suffolk County Police Department (where I live) also has an Emergency Services Unit and all their officers are certified paramedics and everyone going through the county run police academy is a certified EMT (I believe). Like the NYPD ESU they handle both heavy rescue/confined space rescue/car accident extraction and tactical/heavy weapons support.

No, not all NYPD ESU dectives are EMTs or medics, since the NYPD doesn't do anything with medical calls besides crowd control, taking reports ect.

If you watch the National Geographics channel, they just did a special on the NYPD Counterterror Task Force. However, not all of the ESU officers are EMTs, (as said above), but the are trained in many ways like a firefighter, they can respond to car accidents, Haz-Mat, building collasps, water rescues along with all the other police responses. But many of their weapons vary,

post-16958-0-53032500-1296610510_thumb.j

post-16958-0-32416400-1296610520_thumb.j

The NYPD is one of the most known for their weapon variety, it seems like not one officer will carry what another has. In all seriousnes though, if they did use it once upon a time, they probably still have it somewhere, though it's getting phased out by the newer better weapons

As for EMT certifications, most departments do not require it unless it'll be a medical unit, and keep in mind EMT is pretty lowly trained, and some people will just choose to do it, even if it's not required. Paramedic certifications is a little more in depth, some places having 18 month courses on it, if not more, so not many people will take Paramedic as an elective course for them, then again, some people will just for the sake of helping others. I know here if I wanted to certify myself in Paramedicine, it's an 18 month course costing roughly two grand

Not to be mean or any thing its that Sawdbuster's 2nd pic is LAPD SWAT look at the patches and you will see. As for ESU EMS cert it depends on the person if they want it they can have it. Also I found out that NYPD has its own fire department for its tranning grounds.

Picture that I see of verified ESU officers, verify they're carrying M4's. They started testing them in 2002 and as of 2009 they were definitely carrying them. However, mini's were still in the mix for non-ESU officers in 2009 according to this article:

http://www.crownheig...hp?itemid=15718

Still, I from what I've found, ESU officers are the only ones to carry M4's, and it appears to be their primary weapon.

ESU Examples:

http://www.flickr.co...shi/3308673262/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...shi/3523692337/