Newfoundking

New York Stuff Topic

About FDNY:

How many volunteers as a percentage of the total number of firefighters in NY?

Currently there are 10 volunteer fire departments in NYC, but they are not part of the FDNY

How many engines respond when reporting a fire? 2? 3? Or in each individual case dispatcher decides individually?

Depends on how the call comes in. If it's for an order of smoke or something burning, it's usually an engine, ladder, and a battalion. If there's multiple calls or the call is for a working structure fire, then it's 3 engines, 2 ladders, a rescue or squad, and a battalion, a first alarm

What is the highest fire ladder?

100 feet

What is the average height of fire ladder?

tower ladders are either 75 or 95 feet and rear mounts and tillers are 100 feet

How many fire ladder in NY?

FDNY runs 143 ladder companies per shift and I believe there is 1 volunteer ladder

Heard from an American friend that in NY there is a special fire department that responds only when the firefighters got into trouble - for example, were buried under the rubble. Is this true? Tell me more about this pls.

I believe you're talking about FAST (Firefighter Assist Search Teams) or R.I.T (Rapid Intervention Teams). They are exactly the sams thing though, just different names. What happens is when the IC (chief in charge of the incident) arrives on scene and the companies begin operating in IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) situations, one of the ladder companies will be held outside of the incident and they only do anything if a fire fighter goes down, otherwise, they are on stand by. This is originally what the rescues were developed for, but they have now developed into technical rescue companies, so now the FAST/R.I.T. is almost always the extra ladder on the first alarm.

FDNY EMS has Rescue Medics too and they could kinda help in that situation. High Rise units and DEFINITELY Rescue guys. That's what they're there for! Uh I believe there are 253 ambnulances on call in teh day and a little less at night. I could tell you that much. I rode with them (FDNY EMS) and we still got bashed with calls lol. love your questions man, keep 'em coming!

Heard from an American friend that in NY there is a special fire department that responds only when the firefighters got into trouble - for example, were buried under the rubble. Is this true? Tell me more about this pls.

I believe you're talking about FAST (Firefighter Assist Search Teams) or R.I.T (Rapid Intervention Teams). They are exactly the sams thing though, just different names. What happens is when the IC (chief in charge of the incident) arrives on scene and the companies begin operating in IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) situations, one of the ladder companies will be held outside of the incident and they only do anything if a fire fighter goes down, otherwise, they are on stand by. This is originally what the rescues were developed for, but they have now developed into technical rescue companies, so now the FAST/R.I.T. is almost always the extra ladder on the first alarm.

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe like a Technical Rescue, or maybe even the Rescue Company in NYC

Also, found this while trolling the interwebs :D FAQ's of FDNY

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=1273.0

They operate a pod system in the Special Operations Command similar to what agencies in Europe do with the WLF's. From what I've seen they're primarily collapse rescue pods, I can see several other pods at the SOC station on Roosevelt Island on Google Earth, but can't read them. I'd imagine they have WMD supplies etc. I can only find picture of two transport units for the pods, and it looks like the 1 may be a replacement for the first. I can't imagine they only have one transporter though.

Stupidly enough I didn't check the FAQ on nycfire.net apparently there are only 2 carriers...but I keep finding pictures of them on Roosevelt Island, where they aren't stationed. I wonder if they've moved them or added a third since then.

I do believe that is highway patrol. I'm almost sure of it since they wear those boots. The stripe down the side though, I don't recognize but the boots tipped me off that they're highway patrol.

NYPD Highway Patrol

3072138490_9b3716167e.jpg

Schutzstaffel uniform

SSAllg400.jpg

Very similar effects uniforms.... Do I sense a coincidence? Seriously though, as soon as I looked at those pictures, I recognized them as looking very nazi-chic. Not that that's a bad thing, I mean the nazi's had some of the best looking, and most commanding uniforms I've ever seen.

I'd venture to guess The uniform style for that probably either predates WWII or was an attempt to get a vintage feel. It

s kind of weird they get away with such an intimidating uniform in modern COPS and customer relations focused policing. I mean uniforms generally have a much more subtle intimidation factor.

It's a subtle link, most people don't make it, but it's there none the less. The nazis chose their uniforms because they looked powerful, commanding, intimidating, and stylish (okay, I made that last part up) and the NYPD says theirs is partly for safety (leather protects better than nylon on motorcycles). I think the other part is the intimidation thing the nazis went with as well.