Guest imprezzed

LA Mod Strategy guide for n00bs...

Guest imprezzed

First time poster, somewhat new user.

First off, let me say, that this game is wonderful, but the LA mod really takes it to the next level!

Dealing with traffic:

I've found that blocking off the entry point near the wal-mart in the south west corner with one officer stopping traffic has completely solved the traffic jam problem. It's not entirely realistic, but it stops traffic from coming onto the map and it seems solves the traffic problem throughout the city quite nicely. I've been playing my new endless game for over 400 minutes with that officer there, and there is still enough traffic on the map to make it realistic.

Setting up for success against pickpocketers and violent offenders:

I generally have about 10 patrol cars (Usually Chargers :P) with 2 officers each deployed in standby mode throughout the map. I generally don't use patrol mode, because it can cause bad traffic jams in the northwest corner of the map. Whenever an incident happens, I can generally have an officer on scene within seconds. I then send a LAPD slicktop with one officer from HQ to pick up the perp after the arrest, that way if the arresting officer has been slightly injured, I just swap the officer out after putting the perp in the back of the slicktop. Send the slicktop to base, put the new officer in the patrol car, return the patrol car to it's standby point.

Dealing with unauthorized demonstrations:

Again, I have a patrol car nearby that can be on scene in seconds. I arrest the 1 or 2 people there, and deploy a slicktop with 1 or 2 officers to transport them to HQ. If I miss the target, I load up 2-4 SUV's with SWAT officers, the MCU and a sherriff's van to a point near the scene. And a melee ensues. If there is a lot of demonstrators, deploy a cruiser to the end of the streets and block traffic from entering. Also, have the officer get out of the vehicle and use the "block civilians" command. It prevents the demonstrators from getting reenforcements.

Arsonists/Gas explosions:

These events usually send me into heart palpatations. Getting the arsonist is usually pretty easy. But putting the fires out afterwards really raises my blood pressure. Usually a rescue engine and a foam tender is what I use to put the fires out. Ensure at least 2 personnel in your rescue engine are equipped with BA...one to handle a hose inside a building and one to extricate casualties. It took me a while to get used to using the personnel in the engine to attach hoses and get more water on the fire...I was getting comfortable just using the deck gun.

Fires near the dockyard to the north:

One of the first things I do is buy and deploy the fire tug. You'll usually need to send more units, but it helps for a quick initial attack.

Traffic accidents:

Initially, I thought the bad one with 7 crashed vehicles requires a stupid amount of resources. I've trimmed it down to 2 patrol cars to block traffic, 1 heavey equipment squad for extrication, (with 2 extra FF/EMT's) and the Mass Casualty unit. It can be done.

Hostage situations:

Police SUV or FBI SUV loaded with armed officers storming the building. I can usually get the perp arrested or needing an ambulance before anyone gets shot/killed.

Vehicle fires, random discarded cigarettes, fireworks incidents:

Again, I use a patrol car with 2 officers and fire extinguishers. Very rarely have I had to call in an engine to deal with one of these.

Earthquakes:

Rapid deployment of rescue ambulances is key. I find all the casualties first, send ambulamces to them, then look at where the fires are. I start deploying mostly Foam Tenders to these big fires. While the Tenders are deploying, I start getting the Ambulance personnell to look at the casualties. As long as you get an EMT on the casualty, they'll continue to work on them and keep them alive long enough for you to put out all the fires.

Fires in the Suburban Neighborhood in the southeast corner.

I cheat a little here. I have a rescue engine deployed in standby mode down there. I just find the fires get too big too quick there for me to effectively deal with it.

Issues with gameplay:

Still have yet to learn how to effectively and quickly employ the Bomb Robot

I've never gotten so enraged at a video game before when trying to deploythe flatbed tow trucks. I practically have to guide them to the accident, lol.

Again Hoppah, thanks for the stellar mod. It's really taken this to a whole new level. And thank you so much for coming up with the chase command. It gives me something to play with while i'm waiting for something to happen.

Quick question: do the hazard lights actually do anything? Or are they there just for show?

Anyone else have strategies for dealing with stuff they'd like to share?

You don't need to deploy the bomb bot, a Bomb Disposal officer can disarm just as effectively!

The Hazard lights are just for show.

My preferred strategy for Hostage situations is one SUV with scout, 2 x SWAT and a profiler. Scout looks in building, negotiator talks (not really necessary). One SWAT grabs a Shield, runs in and stands in front of the hostage taker so he can't shoot the hostage. As he's merrily banging away at a bullet-proof shield the other SWAT can arrest him. You can give the other SWAT officer a stun grenade if you like!

The OC-D

That's all way too much for hostage situations. I have never seen one where I can't deal with it with two officers. Most days, I pull it off with a single one. It can be done very easily, just enter, and arrest. Yes the other ones use plans and the new objects, but they aren't needed.

I put out 4 patrol cars, send two out from the station, with about 2 minute delay between them, send one to the south east corner and send on patrol and one in north east, and patrol The rest is all merry. I have three games running, my overkill game where I station units all over, and it's very much overkill, then one where I'm a minimalist and don't barely run anything, just what's on the map and two police cars, that's it aside from an engineer and tows as needed, as well as once I needed a crane. Then there is one where it's like minimalist but with around 4-6 police cars on map.

Also, for the fires, foam tenders are sort of useless.. one truck with two FF's spraying, or one engine with 4 FF's spraying, what does more damage? This is why I almost always use engines only :)

Guest imprezzed

Also, for the fires, foam tenders are sort of useless.. one truck with two FF's spraying, or one engine with 4 FF's spraying, what does more damage? This is why I almost always use engines only :)

Makes sense. I guess i like seeing the big cannon on top of the foam tenders. I also kind of like the reach the foam tenders have.

What's your strategy for dealing with the large fires that occur in the south east corner, in the densely vegetated suburban area? Sometimes, i find that even if I cheat and preposition an engine down there the fire just spreads too damn quick to effectively deal with it. I pretty much lose almost an entire city block to fire, literally within a minute. I have to empty the fire halls to block the fire in on all sides...around the entire block...it just doesn't seem "cost effective" to preventing loss to property.

If you're talking about around the cul-de-sac then what I do is respond engine from station two, a light force and another engine if it gets big. I position units around.. If it still goes really bad, I'll call in a brush truck and maybe an LEV...

This way I still have 2 engines at station 1 free.

Guest imprezzed

If you're talking about around the cul-de-sac then what I do is respond engine from station two, a light force and another engine if it gets big. I position units around.. If it still goes really bad, I'll call in a brush truck and maybe an LEV...

This way I still have 2 engines at station 1 free.

Yep. Right around the cul-de-sac.

I'll give this a try next time...do you still lose most/all of the block to fire?

I only play with three police cars with two officer each patrolling the map. One for each patrol path. I only staff station one with two ALS RAs, one task force, the USAR and the BC.

I also have a helicopter staffed with one PM stretcher team at the hospital, and one empty police helicopter at the police station. I also usually have a LACo sheriff's car with two deputies at the hospital to provide security there.

For medical runs I usually dispatch the closest ALS unit and a BLS RA. The ALS unit treats the patient and the BLS RA transports the patient to the hospital. If the BLS RA is tied up on a call, I have an ALS RA transport but I try to avoid having the ALS RAs transport.

For fires it's usually a task force and sometimes an extra engine. I usually send a BLS RA as well for extra manpower. I'll have the guys drop the stretcher and grab hoses or something.

For traffic accidents it's usually a light force and some ALS RAs. I only call out the USAR for large traffic accidents or large fires.

For water rescues it's a light force, an ALS RA, and the SWR truck.

The HAZMAT squad over in station two runs even less than the USAR. I'll only call it out for HAZMAT incidents. I would call it out more if the guys were regular FF's that could change into the HAZMAT suits though,

Typically the busiest units will be the light force and the BLS RA, with usually the assessment engine at station two being the third busiest. The ALS RAs from station 1 are usually pretty busy as well. I rarely call in units from outside the map, unless I need extra RAs or the SWR truck or something specialized.

Guest imprezzed

Nope the trees and maybe a house. Tops

Just noticed your location...had newfie beefsteak for supper. It was delicious. ;)

I guess I need to work on my personnel management a little more. Thanks for the tips.

Dealing with traffic:

Nothing, I seriously dont know what every one is complaining about. On rare occasions a cop car will get stuck making a turn and cause a small traffic jam but I just move them out of the way(the cop) and send it on a ptrol.

Setting up for success against pickpocketers and violent offenders:

I use about 9 cars total. 2 for each path. This gewts great coverage with out overdoing the units on patrol.

Dealing with unauthorized demonstrations:

Depends on how bad it is. Some times I attempt to block off the area with guard rails. Then send a SWAT SUV with 4 SWAT officers. Grab a flashbang, and toss it. Then grab the person with a sign.

Arsonists/Gas explosions:

Nearest patrol car responds to the arsonist. Lightforce from either station with a BC. Then the back up can call for an additional lightforce or two if needed. Depending on traffic a patrol car or two will respond as well.

Fires near the dockyard to the north:

Lightforce from FS1, BC, and Hazmat squad stages.

Traffic accidents:

Depends. If its near FS2, usually the a light force and the EMS Supervisor I have at FS2. If FS1 is closer, ALS Engine and the Large Rescue Ambulance(which is strictly a rescue truck in my mod), and sometimes an EMS Supervisor. That gives me 4-6 medics on scene. Atleast one patrol car, maybe two depending on how bad it is and where it is.

Hostage situations:

1 or 2 patrol cars depending on where it is. They do traffic control. Then one SWAT SUV. Send in two SWAT officers, one with the riot shield and one with a flash bang. Usually this results in no one being injured. 1 or 2 ambulance if by chance something goes wrong.

Vehicle fires, random discarded cigarettes, fireworks incidents:

If its a little bush on fire, i send a brush truck. Vehicles fires, one cop car, Large Ambo, or USAR depending on whats available at FS1, maybe a BLS Engine. If FS2 is closer, ALS Engine and a petrol car. A tow truck goes out no mater what of course.

Earthquakes:

ALS Ambos, EMS Supervisors, maybe a Heli, the BLS Ambo, and usually a light force for each fire. May send ALS Engines for medical if needed.

Fires in the Suburban Neighborhood in the southeast corner:

Light force and BS From FS2, and sometimes brush truck from FS2. Usually I go ahead and send a second light force from FS1.