frankie1988

SWAT Units - worldwide -

If you shoot someone in the head, they die. I didn't know that SWAT were taught to kill people, even if they are hostage takers. Do SWAT do this in other countries?

In the US, SWAT are taught to neutralize the situation and save as many lives as possible. If that means they have to end one life to save others, then, unfortunately, that's what they have to do.

They aren't taught to "kill" people as much as they are taught how to save lives

Japan don't get very many shoot outs that needs SAT or SIT to take out a person. If a crime takes place with a Japanese person with a gun? More likely that the person is untrained how to use a gun. Even more likely they would try to do "capture tactics" than "shoot to kill".

But if expert gunmen do enter the nation. The Special Teams would use deadly force.

If you compare armed police with SWAT you obviously need to read your source again. According to the same source:

The PAP also maintains tactical counter-terrorism (CT) units in the Immediate Action Unit (IAU), Snow Wolf Commando Unit (SWCU) and various Special Police Units (SPU).

That does not mean China has 800.000 SWAT officers.

I forgot to mention, if terrorist attacks happen then, as well as ARU's, the British SAS are called in. It's very rare but I would certainly say they're the best Special Force in the world.

The OC-D

I think that the best police tactical unit are LAPD SWAT, but special forces including army these are among the best - British SAS, Germany - GSG9, French GIGN, USA - FBI HRT, ,..

Source?

Based on what?

I'm British and therefore am Biased. :holdglass: Seriously, I think they have the best service history, are very efficent, train perhaps the hardest and I would not want to be on the receiving end of them.

I think that the best police tactical unit are LAPD SWAT, but special forces including army these are among the best - British SAS, Germany - GSG9, French GIGN, USA - FBI HRT, ,..

GIGN remain essentially a polcie unit more than a military one.

The OC-D

I wouldn't say China's the best yet but i can say they're the biggest with like 800,000+ SWAT members.

Bigger doesn't mean better. It could even become a disadvantage.

Based on what?

Probably based on two things:

Firstly, other countries model their Special Forces off of the SAS

And because the training and selection process is one of the toughest in the military world.

Doesn't really make them the best though. It's impossible to conclude which SF is the best in the world, there's just no answer.

Am I right in thinking that GIPN the more military and SF unit?

I'm British and therefore am Biased. :holdglass: Seriously, I think they have the best service history, are very efficent, train perhaps the hardest and I would not want to be on the receiving end of them.

The OC-D

nope, you are wrong, it is a military based unit,.. GIPN is police based,..:)

FBI HRT is not a special force,it is a national special police force which has nothing to do with the military so I don't consider it a special force.

it has nothing to do with the police either,.. it is a federal force, and like that it is under command of Washington... like military,.. but it is a SF because they do the same things taht other SF do,...

I wouldn't call HRT a military force as they are a domestic unit. The USA has so many SOCOM units that have so many capabilities, SEALs, Green Berets (They mostly train the populace to fight), Delta, Rangers, MARSOC (Formerly Force Recon), PJ's etc. The US tends to not have one unit for everything but instead a variety of units for a variety of occasions.

Frankie the HRT is not a military/SF force. They are not apart of USSOCOM and don't (That I'm aware of, fight foreign forces)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/world/asia/28china.html

They do have the permission to handle terror attacks though.It pretty much is the Emergency service unit in China.

To make things seem clearer. Being "Armed Police" means they have weapons training with some type of weapon. They may given some officers standard military battle gear. Unlikely they have 800,000 battle gear for each officer. Plus all officers are spread within China. So you might have a standard smaller number of officers in a area. Plus I didn't see a full-time, part-time, or On-call status for them. Then all may have military but not Swat training.

Your not SWAT a unless you have the training. Giving SWAT training to a very large group cost a lot and time.

I think France and England has a Police force like "Armed Police" in China. But they are not seen as Swat.

Emergency service for nation defense is apply in many police forces. In Japan the Nation Police Force is uses as last defense in a Emergency. That they may have battle equipment for some officers in the department. But they are still normal Police officers.

Unless they every one of them wear a uniform that says SWAT, SAT, SRU, etc. on them. But they are not listed as a SWAT unit any way.

I wouldn't call HRT a military force as they are a domestic unit. The USA has so many SOCOM units that have so many capabilities, SEALs, Green Berets (They mostly train the populace to fight), Delta, Rangers, MARSOC (Formerly Force Recon), PJ's etc. The US tends to not have one unit for everything but instead a variety of units for a variety of occasions.

Frankie the HRT is not a military/SF force. They are not apart of USSOCOM and don't (That I'm aware of, fight foreign forces)

I know, but it is not a part of the police either, but they conduct the same missions typse as those units I wrot,... unlike SEALS, Delta force, and Green berets, that do more army mission types and open warfare as well as missions behind enemy lines,..and scouting, gathering intelligence, and so on,... not hostige rescue, high risk warranty arrest and so on,...

Russia's special forces might be well-trained, but maybe you should read the Beslan school crisis which happened in 2004 to see how Russia deals with hostage situations.

Moscow theathar hostige crisis is another example of the "good" SF of Russia,... the training might be good, and look nice, but they have to prove it in missions,..