theocd

People Problems

Hello,

I have a friend in my year who I get on well with and have done so for some time. However, recently (last year or so) he has started copying me in everything I do. He starts signing off like me, he starts writing like me, he retells all my jokes, he joins the same forums as me, he tries to like the same films and games as me, anything I tell him is good becomes the best thing in his life, he starts buying the same things as me, he even started painting his Warhammer army the same colour as mine! It's really starting to get on my nerves and I don't know what to do about it, I really don't want to lose him as a friend but I really want this creepy copying thing to stop. My choices are really to let it go on, to ease it into him gently or just to tell him staright to his face.

Any advice from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated as this is the only place I can ask someone else without him seeing the topic. I've never been any good with people and I really don't want to destroy each others trust.

Many thanks,

The OC-D

Hello,

I have a friend in my year who I get on well with and have done so for some time. However, recently (last year or so) he has started copying me in everything I do. He starts signing off like me, he starts writing like me, he retells all my jokes, he joins the same forums as me, he tries to like the same films and games as me, anything I tell him is good becomes the best thing in his life, he starts buying the same things as me, he even started painting his Warhammer army the same colour as mine! It's really starting to get on my nerves and I don't know what to do about it, I really don't want to lose him as a friend but I really want this creepy copying thing to stop. My choices are really to let it go on, to ease it into him gently or just to tell him staright to his face.

Any advice from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated as this is the only place I can ask someone else without him seeing the topic. I've never been any good with people and I really don't want to destroy each others trust.

Many thanks,

The OC-D

Is there any thing he hates? Do that and maybe he will stop...

Not really, he changes his opinions more than a British politician.

Everyone has their limits. Find something that he dislikes and start doing that. He'll probably pretend he likes it to be like you, so just intensify your like for that thing.

For example, if he doesn't like a band like Rage against the machine, then start buying RATM merchandise, join RATM forums, get concert tickets and talk non stop about the band. Might work.

Maybe he has a thing for you and wants to be involved in things you do. Ask him if he's gay.

Or you could just start hanging out with him less and let him find someone else to annoy.

@jab16 Hi age is the same as mine, 16.

@Hunter42 I've tried doing things he doesn't like and he still tags along, grinning and bearing it. that's whats so frustrating, there's no escape.

He's not gay, as far as I know, even then, I would hardly call myself a looker.

I've tried that as well, it works some of the time but even then he manages to worm his way into being with me.

@usmc123 Hmmmmmm...............??????

The OC-D

@jab16 Hi age is the same as mine, 16.

@Hunter42 I've tried doing things he doesn't like and he still tags along, grinning and bearing it. that's whats so frustrating, there's no escape.

He's not gay, as far as I know, even then, I would hardly call myself a looker.

I've tried that as well, it works some of the time but even then he manages to worm his way into being with me.

@usmc123 Hmmmmmm...............??????

The OC-D

You could of course ask him if he noticed he started 'liking' a lot of the same things as you and that he might have gone a bit overboard. If you bring it to him gently, I'm sure your friendship will survive (unless he's a sick and twisted identity thief, but then you're probably better of without him as a friend ;) )

Well try to figure out if he may be having some trubble in life. Family, or social issues that may leave him in a complicated postion. He may just need attention, or look up to you.

Somebody must to say it, so I'll sacrifice myself: He's gay.

homosexuals_are_gay.jpg

Seriously, can't you just talk to him and tell him his behaviour is annoying? That's what I would do. Be fair, direct and tell the truth. Although both of you are still kinda young and behaviour like that is absolutely not uncommon for teenagers.

@pyro Finally some sensible advice! If you think that's best then I may try it.

@jab16 I could have understood if it was family issues but dragging it out over a year suggests it can't be that.

@Hoppah Someone's already suggested his possible homosexuality and, being as I probably know him best, that's not the case. Just, kinda helps reading the topic back a bit and not being funny with mildly amusing huge homosexual pictures. If I just talk to him I think I'll push him away for ever.

The hidden reason of my previous post is more that the users on this forum are not psychiatrists who can help you with your social problems. I know your problem is serious and confronting him with your feelings is probably the best and fastest way to get it solved. Doing something he hates would actually push him away. If he's a real friend of you, a normal conversation to confront him with his behaviour wouldn't harm your friendship. Otherwise he wouldn't be a real friend. Like I said, we're not psychiatrists, I am just giving you my opinion. The picture in my previous post wasn't really appropiate, but most topis in the off-topic section of this forum shouldn't be taken seriously anyway.

I know you're not psychiatrists, which why I'd like your help. You're real people who encounter real things with real brains in your heads, brains that can logically think about situations and can give sound advice, not namby pamby psychiatrist rubbish. I think I will try Pryo's approach and if the message doesn't get through I'll try your approach, either way a result will be reached that I hope will be the right one. I wanted to talk to someone who wasn't my parents or friends or teachers who knew the guy and someone who could be totally detached and make a decision that wasn't bias based on the options given.

For all of you who contribuited thanks a lot and I'll see how it turns out after the Christmas holidays.

The OC-D

If you really want to, swtich your religion to the Church of Satan lol. their "11 Satanic Rules" state this:

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they don’t stop, destroy them.

problem solved lol