MikesPhotos

US Fire Jobs...

As many of you may or may not know, now is the time when Forestry Fire Crews and Seasonal jobs are posted. For those considering applying, it's also the best time to get your certs in order! Each crew and department will have their own base qualifications, so it's important to check with them and see what you need and if not this year, you can spend the winter and spring taking the classes you'll need for the next hiring period.

As a side note, I've been given the opportunity to do something that I haven't done in quite some time. I'm moving over to the training side of things and will be spending the next 6 months teaching California State Fire Marshall and National Wildfire Coordinating Group classes to help bring up the next generation of Firefighters before SoCal Fire Season returns.

I better get used to a whole bunch of little kids yelling Sir, Yes, Sir again.

Thankfully only a few of my students will be boots in the acad, most will be experienced members trying to fill out their additional certs! Much better working and learning environment...

In other news:

http://www.kerncountyfire.org/news.php?id=122

"Seasonal Firefighter Employment Opportunity

The Kern County Fire Department is accepting applications for Seasonal Firefighters for the 2010 Fire Season. The department is planning to staff up to six wildland firefighting handcrews in the mountainous areas of the county with the first crew starting in February. Staggered hiring will continue until May when all crews will be in place and available for fire response"

As I said, NOW is the time to fill out your applications, get your certs in order, and start your workout regimen. HIKE HIKE HIKE!!!!!! In the hot, in the cold, get up, fill your pack, and start hiking!

A Wildland job is a great way to get your foot in the door and get hired by a Career department.

A related question:

Do you know if the Forestry Service has ever had interns for the fire management section?

I'm trying to find internships that will help with my thesis.

I've never seen one in all of my years, but that's not to say they don't have them. Your best bet would be to contact your local Forest, or Regional office. Mind you, most internships that you'll find in the fire service aren't "shadowing" that would assist in any educational benefit. it's more gopher work and wait outside type of stuff.

Sound like your moving on up, congrats Mike! I hope it all goes well for you. You sound pretty excited to get started. Hopefully you wont be to busy to keep proving us with outstanding information here at EMP.

Nah, Moving back actually. Like I said, teaching is something I haven't done in quite some time. There are some in the fire service who are content to stay at the same station their whole career, doing the same thing day in and day out. I'm not one of those. Plus this will give me time to focus on my next career goal, which will be in the GIS field and fire mapping/fire planning, and Incident Meterology. Slowly but surely, I'll knock out a few more Command Team spots. After all, what other job lets you go camping around the world, pays you, feeds you, and gives a bright yellow outfit to wear???