Pandemic

Your Favourite Emergency Service and Why?

Your Favourite Emergency Service  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favourite Emergency Service

• Fire & Rescue Department
    • Police Department
    • Emergency Medical Service

I like Fire & Rescue Department because I dont agree with everything the police enforce. Fire on the other hand, compared to EMS, have alot more responsibilities. In most casdes in the US, I believe, they provide EMS, weather it be providing ambulance service, or mutual aid, in addition to fighting fires, dealing with Hazmat events, Rescue and even additional traffic control at times.

I like Fire & Rescue Department because I dont agree with everything the police enforce. Fire on the other hand, compared to EMS, have alot more responsibilities. In most casdes in the US, I believe, they provide EMS, weather it be providing ambulance service, or mutual aid, in addition to fighting fires, dealing with Hazmat events, Rescue and even additional traffic control at times.

meh. most fire/EMS systems have seperate people that do fire and others do EMS. they are just all in the smae department. the EMS units do 4 times as many runs as the FD does. houses are built so much safer it has cut down on fires. but people lol. well lets just say they are getting dumber :P

meh. most fire/EMS systems have seperate people that do fire and others do EMS. they are just all in the smae department. the EMS units do 4 times as many runs as the FD does. houses are built so much safer it has cut down on fires. but people lol. well lets just say they are getting dumber :P

Perhaps, but I wasnt referring to just FDs with Ambulance service, but you may be right. Not sure what your policies are up there near Indy but down here Fire goes on every single medical call regardless of BLS or ALS needs. Although this is new as before hand Fire only got dispatched for ALS runs of a severe nature like GSWs and Heart Attacks.

i realise this. but it is still alot of wasted to gas to send a big fire truck out on every single call whether or not there are 4 EMT's on board. This is honestly the most ways alot of Fire Departments in the cities are justifying why they need a new engine every 3 years.

I wholly agree the FD should be sent on chest pain, car accidents, and unconciouss people, but there is no reason why you need an engine co. worth of people for a nausea vomitting call.

i realise this. but it is still alot of wasted to gas to send a big fire truck out on every single call whether or not there are 4 EMT's on board. This is honestly the most ways alot of Fire Departments in the cities are justifying why they need a new engine every 3 years.

I really dis agree with that statement,

Why, wel here we go:

1. A fire truck has a sh*tload more equipment on board then a standard ems car making them more agile to react.

2. Fire truck and firefighters can assist the ems in much better ways then a police officer(for instance)

3. (said it somewhere before) in the dutch when ever somebody has an heart attack or a stroke, 2 ambulances will be send.(1 to stabilize the other to transport the victim).

4. Firefighters would al least need once every 3 year a new truck. this is plain and simple logic heavy truck + high speeds + hot temperatures + extreme cold + mileage is just to much for any vehicle.

(to much stress on the frame causing it to bend, To hot makes the metal weaker each and every time, to cold makes the metal bridal(can really brake a fire truck up) , to much mileage is killing the engine). and so on and so on.

If you want to save on gases/dollars don't cut back on the FD or EMS or even the PD, they all have a good function and when talking in life or death gas/dollars should not be an issue.

You guys could better save up on those H1 and H2 the military has got. or 2 presidential planes, with a squad of 16 marine helicopters to move him around(as well as the 6 limo's he has got driving).

Cut back on those, and the FD would not have to fraud with numbers to gain a new truck

(edit:)I vote for the FD.

The most agile of them all.

first aid, fires, accidents, you name it there on to it.

I voted for EMS,the EMS provides care for the patient until he arrives at the hospital.Dispatch is just an easier way of communication between rescue services,countries who don't have full dispatch like India have a lot more patients dying.India's citizens in some parts have to call their local ambulance in the hospital using a long number.Countries in Asia with dispatch because we know Europe,North America and Australia already have full emergency dispatch, are pretty much richer than the ones with some or without.In some cases,like India,the government can't provide EMS for the whole country because of too many delegates in Congress so they have to depend on private companies to do it. Countries who have an average amount of delegates or where the president holds much of the power usually have full emergency service throughout the country like Japan,China,South Korea,Thailand,Iran and Vietnam.Most developing countries in Asia and Africa too use the Red Cross or St John Ambulance as their main ambulance provider like Iraq,Malaysia and Pakistan.

wow thats alot of wasted tax payer money to send a big red truck on every ambulance call. sounds like your FD is trying to up their run numbers so they can trick the city into thinking they need more money than they actually do lol. happens all the time.

I am 50/50 on it. There usually dispatched at the same time and Fire almost always beats AMR and AMR is dispatched from patrol routes not a central location. If you really want to look at it from a money stand point, consider this, aside from 2 of the 15-20 stations in the city, each station runs either 1 engine or 1 quint/ladder/tower. My district is covered by a 2009 Spartan Gladiator/Ferrara HD-77ft Quint. Now in terms of available trucks out there, shes a beautiful truck but shes not the biggest. We also have a 1998 Spartan/LTI 102' Rear-mount platform that was moved from one station to another because of the stress of running so many medical runs on such a big truck. Thats when FD was only called on ALS calls(even though there BLS only), and in the new location this monster still makes 500+ runs a year.Those quints must really chug the gas making medical runs, and both Rescue trucks running in the city are both located down town which is pretty centrally located in Evansville but none the less these trucks have to come clear across town at times.

I really dis agree with that statement,

Why, wel here we go:

1. A fire truck has a sh*tload more equipment on board then a standard ems car making them more agile to react.

2. Fire truck and firefighters can assist the ems in much better ways then a police officer(for instance)

3. (said it somewhere before) in the dutch when ever somebody has an heart attack or a stroke, 2 ambulances will be send.(1 to stabilize the other to transport the victim).

4. Firefighters would al least need once every 3 year a new truck. this is plain and simple logic heavy truck + high speeds + hot temperatures + extreme cold + mileage is just to much for any vehicle.

(to much stress on the frame causing it to bend, To hot makes the metal weaker each and every time, to cold makes the metal bridal(can really brake a fire truck up) , to much mileage is killing the engine). and so on and so on.

If you want to save on gases/dollars don't cut back on the FD or EMS or even the PD, they all have a good function and when talking in life or death gas/dollars should not be an issue.

You guys could better save up on those H1 and H2 the military has got. or 2 presidential planes, with a squad of 16 marine helicopters to move him around(as well as the 6 limo's he has got driving).

Cut back on those, and the FD would not have to fraud with numbers to gain a new truck

(edit:)I vote for the FD.

The most agile of them all.

first aid, fires, accidents, you name it there on to it.

1) It may have more equipment but does it have more medical equipment? I suppose this comes down to department regulations, but I would guess theres more fire related equipment then medical.

2) Well of course, but another mabulance would be more useful then a cop to.

3) This sounds better then a fire truck and ambulance to me.

4) seems all the more reason to do 2 ambulances to me.

One of our county departments has a Durango that was originally used as BC, but is now used primarily for the medical supervisor as he has to go on all medical calls in the district.

10 minuets? I actually had a discussion with a local FF just a few weeks ago as I was criticizing response times for a water rescue that took place. From what I was told at the scene, it took about 20 minuets to respond and they had alot of trouble getting the engine started on the rescue boat. He said EFD usually has a truck on scene in 3 minuets and AMR in 5 minuets. Now I dont know the stats on that, if that means 3 minuets 90% of the time or what not but thats the stats I was quoted.

1) It may have more equipment but does it have more medical equipment? I suppose this comes down to department regulations, but I would guess theres more fire related equipment then medical.

2) Well of course, but another mabulance would be more useful then a cop to.

3) This sounds better then a fire truck and ambulance to me.

4) seems all the more reason to do 2 ambulances to me.

One of our county departments has a Durango that was originally used as BC, but is now used primarily for the medical supervisor as he has to go on all medical calls in the district.

1 very true. but still( i know this happens in the dutch) If a person has need of EMS and lives in a high rise building(with is where i saw it 13/14floors up)

The ems called the FD because the elevators where broken down. The 4 fire fighters carried the victim on a stretcher down. so that the EMS personnel could keep the victim alive.(just because of sheer manpower that is a +).

second, Fire fighters also know first aid, and some truck have EMS equipment, as well as fire equipment.

2. thats also true, but(again) in the dutch sometimes there just aren't enough ambulance for a call.

So the FD is called along with them(although very rare in the dutch as far as i know).

3. true it is smart as a person with a heart attack losses 15% of survive change per minute.

4. As said before, sometimes there just aren't enough EMS units available. the truck will were down anyways.(i can only compare with the dutch).

But that was just another point on the 3 years changing of vehicles, use logic and common sense.

As another argument to that, you can also say: The trucks need to be up to date(as far as possible) as fire fighting is evolving just as any other part of a department.

(EMS get's upgraded with better live saving capabilities, Police cars and officers get new materials to work with to make it saver, so only logic is that the fire dep. can't stay behind. and new vehicles are needed).

1. Well here there is very few high rises. I could probably count the number of buildings over 10+ stories on one hand. Now I can see where your coming from, and in this case I agree having FD on hand is a good thing, but this seems to me like a case where FD could be dispatched on a need be basis. If the call comes from a high rise structure, then FD is dispatched along with EMS.

2. Not enough for a call or not enough to for a second ambulance to provide support?

3. Nothing left to argue :P

4.True the truck will break down but then again most of the trucks we have are from the late 80s or early 90s. Only 3 trucks, not counting 1 Rescue, Hazmat, and Brush truck, and only the Rescue truck sees front line action on a daily basis.

10 minuets? I actually had a discussion with a local FF just a few weeks ago as I was criticizing response times for a water rescue that took place. From what I was told at the scene, it took about 20 minuets to respond and they had alot of trouble getting the engine started on the rescue boat. He said EFD usually has a truck on scene in 3 minuets and AMR in 5 minuets. Now I dont know the stats on that, if that means 3 minuets 90% of the time or what not but thats the stats I was quoted.

yes 10 minutes. I live in a very rural area. our farthest out point is 15 miles from the ambulance station. so it takes a while to get some places

1. Well here there is very few high rises. I could probably count the number of buildings over 10+ stories on one hand. Now I can see where your coming from, and in this case I agree having FD on hand is a good thing, but this seems to me like a case where FD could be dispatched on a need be basis. If the call comes from a high rise structure, then FD is dispatched along with EMS.

2. Not enough for a call or not enough to for a second ambulance to provide support?

3. Nothing left to argue :P

4.True the truck will break down but then again most of the trucks we have are from the late 80s or early 90s. Only 3 trucks, not counting 1 Rescue, Hazmat, and Brush truck, and only the Rescue truck sees front line action on a daily basis.

1. true, the dutch is relative flat. only a few city have some "high" rize buildings, and those aren't above 50 floors.

2. No ambulances are placed by district, sometime you have 3 ambulances on 4 "citties" (for instance, the Bergen op zoom EMS service, they have 3 ambulances, and have to guard, Hoogerheide, Woensdrecht, Huybergen, Ossendrecht, An off course Bergen op zoom + the highway between them and a province called "Zeeland". So some times there just aren't enough EMS services avalibol, and they need help from another dispatch area(in this case it would be "Roosendaal" (witch has 6ambulances (but the same kmĀ² to guard)

3. :cheers-mate:

4. Well you can talk about this until the sun goes down, fact is, trucks will brake down, and new equipment is brought out, i think the province/state/county/nation has some sort of line set on when the trucks needed to be replaced/updated/fixed.(same with all other EM units).