Tactics

Traffic Lights

Guest madforce

Thats actually an incorrect guide currently. It reports the third digit as a form of sequencing, making lights work in tandem, when the third digit is actually timing, and the lights go in sequence of the 2nd digit, 1-2-3 etc.. I havn't learned of any way to make a light in Em4 work in tandem with another, as in east/west and north/south going green/red together.

I'm not sure if the guide was for an earlier version, but what the posters posted above is correct.

traffic_1_1_10

traffic_<intersection#>_<light# in that intersection 1,2,3,4)_<timing>

Along with a corresponding virtual object for each light, minus the timing

Guest madforce
Yes, just put a virtual object to respective traffic light without the last number (seconds) traffic_1_1 traffic_1_2 traffic_1_3 traffic_1_4 ....

Thats the only real question I have. I've added numerous functional and working lights, mainly dissecting what I saw and it all makes sense cept I'd like to clarify one thing for myself. How important is size and positioning in front of behind the VO for that light? I've seen maps with med sized in front, maps with right under the light, behind the light, and some with VO's that are but the smallest line right under the light.

My assumption based on what I see is that the VO essential sets the stopping point for traffic at that light in the intersection, and you use it to set traffic that much farther or ahead. I'm assuming based on what I see that if a vehicle is occupying the VO at a light, usually the result of a traffic backup when a vehicle has moved beyond the light, yet is sitting on the VO will stop the timing of the lights at the intersection.

So I'm assuming a fairly small VO, which be in front of the light (between the signal and the car) is optimal (as well as more realistic) as it makes it more likely to avoid a clog up at the intersection and increases the chance for it to return to more normal operation when you clear up the upstream traffic jam?

Those are my assumptions on the VO's for each light atm based on what i've observed, does that sound accurate or is there a better/more efficient placement? I tend to spend alot of time correcting some traffic issues, ligthts, paths as much as I can because I prefer a seamless flow and redirecting that doesn't clog the map and can find it's way home. Just curious if my VO assumptions are correct or if i could make them a bit more efficient or proper.

Thats actually an incorrect guide currently. It reports the third digit as a form of sequencing, making lights work in tandem, when the third digit is actually timing, and the lights go in sequence of the 2nd digit, 1-2-3 etc.. I havn't learned of any way to make a light in Em4 work in tandem with another, as in east/west and north/south going green/red together.

I'm not sure if the guide was for an earlier version, but what the posters posted above is correct.

traffic_1_1_10

traffic_<intersection#>_<light# in that intersection 1,2,3,4)_<timing>

Along with a corresponding virtual object for each light, minus the timing

Not entirely true, if you make the second digit the same the lights will work at the same time. But you are correct about the order and meaning of the numbers.

Well gees lets think about this...if they need to be the same when creating a new light...it doesnt hurt to use some common sense...or ya know use trial and error. All of us modders have to rely on trial and error ya know.

well thats what i did but had no luck so i asked if anyone else tried or would try to get lights going in the same direction at the same time