Commander Rasseru

Highways and Expressways Modding

Highway.png

Could Highways and Expressways work in EM?

I know that ramps could work. But can an fully Modeled Expressway with off ramps and on ramps work?

It would be like bridges in the game. But they are very short.

I like to see a Expressway going across and around the maps. Maybe going over buildings and forest areas. Maybe even roads that follow under the high way that could still be seen...

I like to work on this more... But I like to know if it could happen to work?

Any ideas or help with this could be useful.

what do you mean showing off that vid? also it may be hard to make a higway if you intend for there to be events due to the elivation problems. But it should be possible but it would be hard to get cars to drive on it.

what do you mean showing off that vid? also it may be hard to make a higway if you intend for there to be events due to the elivation problems. But it should be possible but it would be hard to get cars to drive on it.

Ok, I like to see if others agree or don't agree with you point out problems. Or that its easy to fix.

Ok, I like to see if others agree or don't agree with you point out problems. Or that its easy to fix.

Yeah, it's possible... Wood's map has a four-lane highway that's reduced to 2 lanes in one point for construction... I'd talk to him...

(Yay, as of this post, I'm a Captain :) Drinks on me! :holdglass: )

Yeah, it's possible... Wood's map has a four-lane highway that's reduced to 2 lanes in one point for construction... I'd talk to him...

(Yay, as of this post, I'm a Captain :) Drinks on me! :holdglass: )

I want to see I can make two lane Expressways for a map and design them to work with a map.

I maybe do a 4 lane... But are hard to see under them.

In short, yes it is possible, but beyond difficult, your primary problem would be your vehicles, not the traffic cars.... you can dictate to them to stay on a specific path, however, the problemo comes when you try to merge them into normal surface traffic.... You set the speed by path not by road so you'd have to create the "illusion" cars get on and off the highway and have them not really do so unfortunately.... Otherwise you'll have hwy cars stack behind surface cars. The spawn points must be placed PERFECTLY, if one is too high/too close to a non transitable object it will get jammed up. IF You try this you have to be willing to devote tons of time to troubleshoot thousands of problems that will result on this road. Even without events on it, you will have a tough road ahead of you but yeap you can theoretically do it with rediculous patience. As far as how your vehicles behave around it I am not entirely sure what they would do, but generally I doubt anyone would be so stupid as to leave a vehicle on an overpass/underpass then try to move them..... eventually it should solve it's pathing I'd think.

In short, yes it is possible, but beyond difficult, your primary problem would be your vehicles, not the traffic cars.... you can dictate to them to stay on a specific path, however, the problemo comes when you try to merge them into normal surface traffic.... You set the speed by path not by road so you'd have to create the "illusion" cars get on and off the highway and have them not really do so unfortunately.... Otherwise you'll have hwy cars stack behind surface cars. The spawn points must be placed PERFECTLY, if one is too high/too close to a non transitable object it will get jammed up. IF You try this you have to be willing to devote tons of time to troubleshoot thousands of problems that will result on this road. Even without events on it, you will have a tough road ahead of you but yeap you can theoretically do it with rediculous patience. As far as how your vehicles behave around it I am not entirely sure what they would do, but generally I doubt anyone would be so stupid as to leave a vehicle on an overpass/underpass then try to move them..... eventually it should solve it's pathing I'd think.

Well if that's a problem for normal surface traffic for the ramps? Then Units could be the only the ones to use the ramps to get on the highways.

This looks like a real model has to be made and tested fully. To see the problem that will cause.

The only other potential problem has to do with the ramp it's self, generally we use land base floor to fake road so it's a "level" terrain transfer.... the main problems lie in the units you control and whether or not they will willingly jump onto the highway, a road without sufficient pathing especially a model instead of floor texture and you'll see odd behavior especially if you try to break their routing over it mid-transfer.... For example, the la bridge before pathing was established the trucks wanted to do odd things on it, drive backwards, turn into the curb etc if you aborted their path they created initially and made them do a 180 for example to a short distance behind them.... A true elevated on-offramp system would have problems in this aspect. If you omitted traffic on the offramps it would make the path clear but not necessarilly the prefered route for emergency vehicles... They may decide that it is more effective to stay on the surface and you'd have to manually get them onto the highway before they would follow it, even then IF it was a cross-path with a ground path it might try to follow the ground path instead. The problem lies in that emergency vehicles just use the paths as a guide, in the end they follow the ideal route they have open to them, hopping paths as necessary.

You can build a section of highway that includes the overpass/underpass configuration, I would suggest doing it for an overpass then a length of road that curves as it would on a turn then goes straight for a bit and hits another offramp, hook these sections to the map by a ground terrain elevation so you can easilly hop on, toss on some paths and basically just play with the traffic/emergency vehicles on the map section and see if everything behaves as it should, traffic will stay on their assigned paths, emergency vehicles may try to shortcut....

Goodluck

I doubt i need to add anything to what mikey said. Mikey you do a great job of explaining in detail where problems lie.

I can say this, i know on woods maps over passes can be a bit difficult to dispatch units. For example where the road dips under the highway there is a bush crash in this spot, and you have to make sure to dispatch the unit to an area of highway thats ground level.

One problem with over passes is merging traffic will sometimes collide with high way traffic. I suppose if you mapped the paths to enter the center lane near ramps, then cross back over to the right lane, that might aliveate the problem to a degree.

Also, when dealing with a 4 lane road, redirecting traffic can be tricky some times to depending on the congestion. Typically both lanes try to turn around at once and the they get stuck so you have to move an officer in place and redirect them again.