Lithium

Turkish Airlines plane down at Schiphol

A passenger jet carrying more than 130 people crashed into a field as it was coming into land in Amsterdam Wednesday. The Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-800 broke into three pieces on impact, but fatalities were initially thought to be minimal.

There were conflicting reports about whether anyone was killed on the plane, which had 127 passengers and seven crew members.

The airline spokesman and Turkish Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim said no one had died, but an airline official told CNN sister station CNN-Turk that at least one person was confirmed dead.

A news photographer at the scene said he saw an unknown number of bodies lying under a white blanket, said Maaike Voersma, a journalist with Dutch newspaper De Bers told CNN.

Twenty people were injured, the airline spokesman said.

A passenger on the plane who spoke to Turkish network DHA said he saw injured people trapped and squeezed between the seats when he walked off the plane. iReport: Send your videos, stories

Journalist Ivan Watson in Istanbul said Turkish media quoted one crash survivor as saying that the back of the plane hit the ground first. "He said it was not an extremely horrible situation, it was like being in turbulence. He said it was more like a sudden impact, then we stopped." Video Watch reports on Turkish plane crash »

The Boeing 737-800, which originated from Istanbul, Turkey, was trying to land at Schiphol International Airport when it went down at about 10:40 a.m. local time, Dutch airport officials said.

Pictures from the scene showed the plane broken in three pieces. One tear was in front of the wing, splitting the "Turkish" logo in two, and a larger tear was farther back along he fuselage. See where the plane crashed »

Most of the injured were seated toward the back of the plane, which sustained the most damage, a passenger on the plane told Turkish station NTV. Many of the passengers simply walked off the plane through the cracks in the fuselage, witnesses told NTV.

source: CNN

Edited by pyrothijs

9 People are dead (3 crewmember who are still in the cockpit) more than 50 Injured

Update: all victims have been removed from the crash site. The uninjured and minor injured have been reunited with their families at a location near the cras site. In other cases the family was transported to the hospital.

It is still unclear which people lost their lives. At least three of them are crew members. identification is still taking place, tomorrow they hope to announce the names of the people who didn't make it.

The plane will be removed tomorrow when the research on the site is completed. The black boxes have been found and will be processed tomorrow.

The Queen and the Prime Minister have expressed their sympathies and the PM visited the families and victims.

Also family members living in Turkey have been brought to the Netherlands on a special flight.

Update: 133 of the 135 passengers and crew have been identified. The people who lost their lives where 5 Turkish people and 4 Americans. The identity of all heavily wounded has also been esthablished, their condition hasn't changed.

Turkish media claim the aircraft had a long list of problems and was involved in several other incidents. The airline only confirms repairs on the jet a few weeks ago. According to them after these repairs nothing was wrong with the plane and it was safe to fly with. Also Turkish media blame PM Erdogan of Turkey for saying nobody died in the crash before he had verified that information.

The Dutch NTSB (Raad voor TransportVeiligheid) is continuing their investigation. The black boxes have been sent to a special lab in Paris. According to the RTL4 news results are expected next week. Off course that doesn't mean they know exactly what went wrong. But it should give investigators some general directions.

You have to admit that it's a bit strange that it's a plane of turkish airlines, cause they've already lost 10 planes. I was watching the news all the time, and this was my first thought.

Update:

all 135 victims have been identified. One person is still in critical condition, in total 44 persons are still hospitalized. All the victims that wanted to return to their home country have been or will soon be brought there.

The investigation is still ongoing, the plane will be removed from the field next week. The Dutch NTSB expects that the on site investigation will be ready by then. Also aviation experts wonder why the emergency slides didn't unfold. The first lawyers have contacted victims to try to get a setllement for them.

Slowly stories of fire fighters and other emergency personnel are getting out. Some of the stories are too horrible to imagine. People dying while they were being treated by an ambulance crew, people being trapped under piles of debris, people with very serious injuries. I'm really glad I didn't had to go to that disaster.

Edited by pyrothijs

And what about the black box? Is it fully recovered, all the conversations and stuff? By the way, did you saw that video that one of the victims made, from in and outside the plane? I wondere wy the first thing he thougt was: "Well, our plane is crached, lets start filming!" I mean, wy did'nt he go and save some more hurt people?

That's just unbelievable. :nein:

Gozozh

And what about the black box? Is it fully recovered, all the conversations and stuff? By the way, did you saw that video that one of the victims made, from in and outside the plane? I wondere wy the first thing he thougt was: "Well, our plane is crached, lets start filming!" I mean, wy did'nt he go and save some more hurt people?

That's just unbelievable. :nein:

Gozozh

About 4 posts ago: black boxes recoverd send to special lab in paris, results will be ready next week. There has been no change there.

greetz,

Edited by pyrothijs

I already knew that! and I saw that post, and I saw it on the news. but never mind, my question was, if there was already anything recovered from the blackbox, or if ther was NEW news about it. ;) Sorry for being unclear. :sorrysign:

Gozozh

Edited by pyrothijs
removed caps, see message below

I ALREADY KNEW THAT! and I saw that post, and I saw it on the news. but never mind, my question was, if there was already anything recovered from the blackbox, or if ther was NEW news about it. ;) Sorry for being unclear. :sorrysign:

Gozozh

No need to type in CAPS, that looks like yelling and I hate being yelled at.

In that case: no there has been no information obtained from the black boxes yet. There is however some information available from the ground radar at Schiphol Airport which indicated the plane descended way too fast. The cause of the rapid descend is still unknown.

Vliegbaan-737_609951i.jpg

Blue box = height, red box = speed of descend, green box = airplane speed

Edited by pyrothijs

Update: 14:15 (Dutch Time), HRH mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven has announced the results of the initial investigation

[EDIT]The Duch NTSB has published the results of the research in Paris that has been done on the black boxes. The first results show that the left altimeter was defect. The altimeter thought the plane was flying lower then it actually was. Because the plane was flying on autopilot the landing was automaticly started. The plane made a dive, the landing gear deployed and the plane reduced speed. By the time the Turkish pilots noticed the plane was descending it was too late to gain enough speed to climb again. The plane was too close to the ground, when it tried to climb the tail hit the ground causing the nose to tilt downwards and hit the ground too. That explains the two fracture lines in the haul of the aircraft.

The investigation has not been complete but it will focus on the altimeter, the controlls in the plane especially the autopilot and the training to prepare the flight crew for these circumstances. Also a criminal investigation has been started because the plane's left altimeter had been broken two times already.

In the meanwhile 25 people are still hospitalized. The victims have united in a victims group and some of them have hired lawyers to see if they can start a trial against Turkish Airways, the Turkish goverment, Boeing, the Dutch goverment and/or Schiphol.[/EDIT]

Edited by pyrothijs

Update: recovery of the aircraft started yesterday. The cockpit will be recoverd first so that the investigators can take a look at the antennes below the cockpit. The haul and wings will be done today (thursday) and they hope to start with the tail section on friday. The wreckage will be stored at a hangar at schiphol airport untill the inevstigation has been completed.