Guest jordex

Gauging interest for a EM4(LA) configuration program

Support for Development  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a program designed to give you the option to fine-tune your gameplay experience?

• Yes. I think it's a great idea.
    • It could be useful.
    • No. I don't think it would be useful at all.
    • Other (Please Post)

I think aside from the original ideia to mod the game and the LA Mod this is the greatest ideia i have heard so far Good Luck and Thanks for your time spent on this! :1046275747_biggthumpup:

This program seems to be going no where fast :1046276030_flop: This "Jordex" guy just comes ONE day and gets people excited of hopes that this program is made and then just up and leaves :nixweiss: we never hear from him again :1046274367_lol:

He said(and i qoute) "

I am still committed to this project though.
"

All lies :protest:

This program seems to be going no where fast :1046276030_flop: This "Jordex" guy just comes ONE day and gets people excited of hopes that this program is made and then just up and leaves :nixweiss: we never hear from him again :1046274367_lol:

He said(and i qoute) ""

I am committed to my mod at the moment. That might change tomorrow. Am I a liar too then?

Hoppah

He said(and i qoute) ""

Darkray, Please see this post regarding board etiquette. You seem to have an issue with the simple concept that the people who create things on this board do so without any form of compensation or reimbursement for their work, time or effort. Many "mods" and projects on here unfortunately are more words and flashy pictures then actual end-use product due to the amount of skill and time required to produce anything of substance without being paid to do so. These people are not companies, they are not asking anything of you or from you, and when something is offered, its great that they choose to share it with everyone.

One thing I want you, and EVERYONE on this board to focus on is this key part of the new Rules of Etiquette:

So, having said all of that, the rules for board etiquette on this site are quite simple. Be polite, THINK before you SPEAK, be respectful, be encouraging, and if being critical, give constructive criticism. If you don't like something, give a recommendation on how you'd like to see it improved. If the person putting their time and effort into the item dismisses that recommendation, accept it and move on. No one here has a free license to argue or "bitch."

Let me say that again. NO ONE here has a free license to argue or "bitch." Many of the people on this board are putting their time and effort into making these things public for all, instead of just keeping it for their own use. The last thing they want is to log on here and see a bunch of brats, whiners, and complainers who cannot express themselves effectively, politely, or constructively.

Your post is a total "bitch" post, but it didn't have to be. If you are interested in this project, a polite comment about your hopefulness to see it released, or even a simple question asking if it is still being worked on would more then suffice. If the project is canceled, then you know what, that's ok too since last time I checked, you were not out any cash, livestock, or first born children.

I am getting REAL tired of the personal attacks, childish behavior and improper flame baiting. We have a good group of adults and children on this board and WE (the moderators and admin) are going to keep it that way.

Guest kevthedude

Hey guys, I decided that I will take a stab at this. I'm a C# programmer so this should be fully possible. I'm going to be asking some questions to learn more about the various version of Emergency 4 since I only own the deluxe version.

Here's what I need so far:

• 911: First Responders - What is the default file location of the main .cfg file? (For em4 deluxe it's: C:\Program Files\sixteen tons entertainment\Emergency 4 Deluxe\em4deluxe.cfg)
  • EM4 (Not deluxe) - What is the default file location of the main .cfg file? (For em4 deluxe it's: C:\Program Files\sixteen tons entertainment\Emergency 4 Deluxe\em4deluxe.cfg)
  • Does anyone know if any version of EM4 stores registry keys to indicate install location? If yes, where? I couldn't find them when I first looked.

lol wtf did i do :1046274367_lol: i was just trying to get this topic back on top so the guy who is making it see's it and comments and gets back to work on it. Don't hate on me becuz i came up with the cleaver idea of reminding him of his project that he probably forgot since he said he was starting college. Now in case you didn't hear me the first time, i only commented on this topic in the first place to get it back on top.

:1046276160_schildbacktotopic:

Guest jacob1029
lol wtf did i do :1046274367_lol: i was just trying to get this topic back on top so the guy who is making it see's it and comments and gets back to work on it. Don't hate on me becuz i came up with the cleaver idea of reminding him of his project that he probably forgot since he said he was starting college. Now in case you didn't hear me the first time, i only commented on this topic in the first place to get it back on top.

:1046276160_schildbacktotopic:

Did you read a word of mikephotos post?

Guest kevthedude

To try to break up the bickering, Here's a screenshot of my work so far:

screenshot052369.jpg

Completed:

• Interface Framework
  • Game folder finder (auto-detection is implemented too)
  • Mod Selection
  • Folder checker (will check to see what vehicles, personnel, etc. are installed)
  • View XML data (only personnel so far)

To-Do:

• Add support for main game (non-mod)
  • View XML data (all except personnel)
  • Save XML data (This one make take a while)
  • Build installer
  • Test
  • Debug
  • Sleep
  • Publish

Due date: Only to be different, The day after it's done... Because I'm cruel like that.

An Update

I understand that some people have become a bit frustrated since my conception of the idea and I do not blame them for this. However, I am committed to this project in the long-term but my University degree studies evidently must come first. It is nice to see that another member has taken the idea and ran with it, which, I think is what bringing these kind of ideas up is all about. When I have some free time, and I don't know when this will be, I will hopefully either look at a VB version or have a chat with the fellow who has started the C version.

It was only ever just an intention and never a promise.

It has been brilliant though to see everyones enthusiasm for this project and it creates an even greater incentive to find time to make the software.

The nature of my Film Production course means that in addition to normal University workload, I have to make films to a high standard which, I can tell you, is one of the most frustratingly time consuming things you can do! I will check back regularly to see how this thread is developing and how the C version is going.

Hopefully I might be able to get cracking on the VB version at some point in the near future. :)

Regards,

Jord

Haha my plan worked perfectly :1046274367_lol: Everyone forgot about this Topic and when i posted i got like instant feedback :1046275747_biggthumpup: and i even got Jordex to comment and get back to working on it. So yea mike or hoppah your welcome. I also got the attention of a programmer(kevthedude) that actually has time and can help out with this program just by my posting. This program is definitely going somewhere other then into the ground, and now i have proven my point :holdglass:

Yeey Jordex & kevthedude!!

Haha my plan worked perfectly ..... i have proven my point

I am sure many are glad that the program is continuing. As to proving your point, well just like with any plan, you must accept the consequences for your actions and behavior. If all you wanted was to bring the topic back into view and relevance, a simple, proper and respectful question would have sufficed and been a much better plan. Instead, you have now reached 100% on your warning level and the consequences that comes with that.

Let me be clear to one and all,

We have a good group here, these forums will not deteriorate into petty name calling and childish behavior.

This is a tool that I would be greatly interested in using to enhance my gameplay experience of EM4 and all its mods.

So I applaude jordex and kevthedude for their work, and I hope you'll want to continue working on it and share it to us humble gamers that enjoy this game so much. :)

Even so, don't rush it! Make it right and have fun doing it.

I also wanna encourage other users of this board not to try and stress the whole process of making this tool available, as it will probably only delay it or stop the development completely.

Looking forward to seeing this in action!

Guest kevthedude

Hey guys, quick update. Didn't get much work done today, had way too much on my plate (had to backup, reload, and apply backups to a ubuntu server) but I did make some changes to the application layout. Pretty much, the interface right now for editing is wayyy too complex (almost kills the purpose of this program). Therefore, I'm going to redesign the editor making it more user friendly by specifically telling the user what each value is. Therefore, the table interface will be no more. It will be a form based layout with just textboxes to fill in. I'll try to work on it during the week but most of the work will be done on the weekends. I hope to get this thing in alpha release in say 2 weeks.

My experience with programming is: make it work first, do the GUI later. Many times has this spared me headaches. But for a very complex program, sometimes working on a GUI and the programming itself side-by-side could be working too, as changing the code for implementing a GUI later, does give you headaches. Then again, how complex this is, I'm not sure.

If I could script this in Pascal, it would seem very easy. It would only be changing a few lines in a text-file for the program to do (assigning file, open file, reading input, change/add line, close file).... how to do that, is fairly simple, I guess. But the choice what to change, is probably more a variable of extreme importance. when you need an indicator of how much work it would be, then the difficulty of the work, in this case.

Guest pmadden94
The thread star hasnt bee on since 15th August 2009 - 04:30 PM. I think the projects pretty much good as dead. You seem pretty knowledgeable so I would suggest that you would be best to start from scratch and work some magic on your own, or any one willing to contribute.

I would say so too...i am going to have one of my buddies come over (he's a tad better than me) and we will see if we can work something out....screenshots by friday? if i can get it to work...

Definitely, go and try! I would use it every time I play. Good luck and best wishes! :12::gut:

I would say so too...i am going to have one of my buddies come over (he's a tad better than me) and we will see if we can work something out....screenshots by friday? if i can get it to work...

Id be happy to help, but I think it would be rather out of my league, but always willing to lend a hand to help further everyones enjoyment of EM4.

Guest jordex

So; it's literally been years now! I apologise! The best laid plans!

I realise you will feel that you have heard it all before but I have been extremely busy.

In addition to my University work, I have been going through the process of becoming a Police Officer myself and have been successful - but it has been hard work!

I have also been making a film or two! Of course, i'm still a massive fan of the game. Unfortunately, I managed to much up the game files somehow but installing the newer version of the LA:MOD into the wrong folder and then deleting the wrong files. Clever. (I don't have the game CD anymore).

This project isn't a closed one though, I still have some of the code and programming methods I was using. I'm not going to set a release date but I am going to make it a personal mission now, otherwise, I will feel defeated! However, as you will understand, I need to balance this with ACTUAL police work! (Obviously this has to take priority!)

I hope you are all well.

JD

Guest pmadden94

So; it's literally been years now! I apologise! The best laid plans!

I realise you will feel that you have heard it all before but I have been extremely busy.

In addition to my University work, I have been going through the process of becoming a Police Officer myself and have been successful - but it has been hard work!

I have also been making a film or two! Of course, i'm still a massive fan of the game. Unfortunately, I managed to much up the game files somehow but installing the newer version of the LA:MOD into the wrong folder and then deleting the wrong files. Clever. (I don't have the game CD anymore).

This project isn't a closed one though, I still have some of the code and programming methods I was using. I'm not going to set a release date but I am going to make it a personal mission now, otherwise, I will feel defeated! However, as you will understand, I need to balance this with ACTUAL police work! (Obviously this has to take priority!)

I hope you are all well.

JD

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this!

If it is alright with you, I am going to try to make my own, much more basic version of that.

I am pretty good at VBS and am going to try to do it.

If that does't work out..I will send it over to my buddy. He can make almost anything from Java or flash..so maybe he could do this too...I will try to get back to you soon on this..