Guest jordex

Gauging interest for a EM4(LA) configuration program

Support for Development  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a program designed to give you the option to fine-tune your gameplay experience?

• Yes. I think it's a great idea.
    • It could be useful.
    • No. I don't think it would be useful at all.
    • Other (Please Post)

Hello,

I'm a massive fan of Emergency 4 (911 First Responders) and have been for some time.

Recently i've stumbled across some free time.

Now, have you ever been in the situation where you have a couple of fires on your hands, maybe one large scale one, you have a hostage situation on the other side of the city and someone has tripped over a curb and requires and ambulance, another person has had a heart attack and just when you seem to have everything under control; a massive fire breaks out somewhere else!

Well, this is just an example, although it happens to me quite regularly.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to control your gameplay a bit more. Sure, you could go searching through all of those config files, changing values but how would a graphical interface that does all the hard work for you sound?

It will take some timeand effort, so before I embark on it, I need to drum, up some support for the idea and, if you think it would be a nice idea, do you have any suggestions for options.

My current options list includes (and this is not exhaustive):

The ability to:

• Change Mission Budgets
  • Change Scores for Successfully completed Emergencies
  • Change Penalty values for Mistakes
  • Change the Frequency of Events
  • Change which events occur more/less often
  • Change How fast Patients Conditions Worsen/Improve
  • Change the Weather / Intensity / Type
  • Change the Speed / Cost of Vehicles
  • Quickly and Easily Change In Game Music and Sound FX
  • Change Mission Parameters

Cheers,

Jord

I would use it. Changing parameters might be difficult if you don't know what you're doing. One mistake and files can become corrupt.

I would use it to tweak my mod. Others would use it to make some fast personal changes without having the risk to break the mod.

I don't understand why this shouldn't be a good idea, it's just time consuming to write a program like that.

@ jordex:

You have some ideas to make such a program work? :)

Hoppah

I would use it. Changing parameters might be difficult if you don't know what you're doing. One mistake and files can become corrupt.

I would use it to tweak my mod. Others would use it to make some fast personal changes without having the risk to break the mod.

I don't understand why this shouldn't be a good idea, it's just time consuming to write a program like that.

@ jordex:

You have some ideas to make such a program work? :)

Hoppah

Yeah, I am a hobbyist programmer. :)

It will be quite time consuming, more so researching the engineering of the config files as opposed to actually writing the software. Once I know how config variables effect the game, it won't be at all difficult. I'm going to continue playing around and try and work out the engineering of some of the variables. :)

Jord

Actually, it would be easy with PHP and/or VB and/or C. :)

I thought you'd be able to do this? :P

Me?

I know some very basic HTML (tables/frames/font etc...).

Had some lessons on school, so I could build my own LA mod website in basic HTML.

I am NOT an expert in C++. I never had C++ classes on school or something.

I learned to make scripts for EM4 myself by trying things out, comparing and having patience.

But when you show me a C++ script from another program I don't really have a clue what it means or what to do. :)

Guest [SAP]Francis
would visual basic work? its pretty straight forward; once you have the program, u design the layout of the application then add values, scripts, etc.

Yes but would not be as powerful as you wanted.

Yes but would not be as powerful as you wanted.

Visual Basic will be more than sufficient for this project. It will cut down on deployment time and allow me to make something that looks nice. I'll post a screenshot as soon as the initial layout is complete. :1046275747_biggthumpup:

I could use C but to be quite honest, it wouldn't be worth the time it would take. VB IT IS!

Can't wait to see a screenshot. :1046275747_biggthumpup:

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I am working on the basic GUI at the moment and will be putting more time into researching how the config files work over the coming week. You will have to bear with me as I have preparing for University in 10 days so priorities obviously lie with that at the moment. I am still committed to this project though.

Jord

Guest __Uknow__
Visual Basic will be more than sufficient for this project. It will cut down on deployment time and allow me to make something that looks nice. I'll post a screenshot as soon as the initial layout is complete. :1046275747_biggthumpup:

I could use C but to be quite honest, it wouldn't be worth the time it would take. VB IT IS!

Here starts the troubles:

If you use VB then you should do everything before the game starts. Cus if you would like to change something you need to alt+tab then change the thing then reload the mod. If you do this EM4/911 has the tendacy to crash....

Soooo to solve this try making some things in c++ and use it as a script. Make a controll panel thingy and give it the commands ;)

Guest [SAP]Francis
I have a Idea :

Add to this program ability to spwan selected events/accidents on map. That would be useful to make ex. movies.

The program won't even work while the game is started. It is only a file editor with an easy template to edit the freeplayparams.xml file. Not to dynamically change it...