Ami89E1234

editor bug - crash

ok, kind of hard to explain, but i have a problem with maps in the editor - they make it crash.

Commander Rasseru made some maps that i need to make the stuf for Tokyo Mod, and so he gives me a map as a .rar file. (about 90000 kbs) i download but made a mistake: accidentaly opened it with photoshop with Always open this type of file check clicked. so thats prob why its not working.

i put the map i then converted to .tga in the Tokyo mod folder and try to open it with the editor. no dice. shows very strange map, almost if the map wasnt a 24-bit tga. i try everything: map the e4m, dds, and eft files of the map, no dice; the same it loads and shows the screwed up map and crashes 1 sec later or when i try to move. try to imort the tga and save it as an eft file - after i click the save button, the editor crashes (no error message in any of the crashes)

so today i want to open the game map m18 texture and build an area 51 :P but its not there. i find it, but do the exact same things as with the other map and the sme crashes at the same places. here it is after i rename all the files then it crashed a sec later

editorbug.jpg

so does anyone know how to fix these problems and why is the official map not there? - i know i havnt bugged it.

thx

File association should not cause a problem, just because you associate the TGA file with a certain editor does not mean it cannot be interpreted by other ones. What is probrably wrong is that either the map is not saved properly (some program's default settings are not what they need to be and some honestly can't make a map that EM4 can read). I had a total of 4 paint programs to work on maps, in the end only one could actually save the tga in a way that emergency could read them properly without ruining the tga. I have no idea when you import it if you are overwriting an existing file for example, that may be causing a crash, there are so many places where you can go wrong so without all the things you've tried I am not really sure what is going on. If the size is right it should not be crashing the editor even if the TGA is not the proper resolution or attributes, in those instances it fails to load correctly (looks wrecked but loads).

i dunno. Commander Rasseru made the map in photoshop, maybe he has more details of the actual size n stuff.

about m18, its not appearing in the main load list, but its in another thing, and when i check the map file, its there, but just not showing up. it was a jpg and tga. i changed it, but then it crashed after i loaded it. this is so wierd and annoying

This is going to be the dumbest one but here goes, ensure that you have the correct file location (the editor can only read em4 maps and TGA format, not jpg, so that one doesnt matter; you want to ensure 1). the map you are importing that you have the proper location, it is very easy to loose your place thanks to all the folders having the same name and :MOD being the front if you load a mod but you can still make that text show up for a root dir of another mod, I have had the misfortune of loosing a map before... Second, make sure the place you are trying to export to isnt write-protected, vista does this to program files by default, so it will probrably cause an editor crash for that reason, lastly try saving the map as TEST.ep4? or something to see if it is the file name conflicting... Goodluck.