NoYes

Speedrunning

I've discussed this with speedrunners previously.

I mentioned the viability of a full game campaign run, but it would probably be a boring 8 hour session filled with RNG.

The main issue I find with the run, is that the 3x speed option mechanic of the game is hardware dependent. Em4 favors people with better computers and this could prevent new players with lesser spec systems from being able to achieve competetive times.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, itchboy said:

I've discussed this with speedrunners previously.

I mentioned the viability of a full game campaign run, but it would probably be a boring 8 hour session filled with RNG.

The main issue I find with the run, is that the 3x speed option mechanic of the game is hardware dependent. Em4 favors people with better computers and this could prevent new players with lesser spec systems from being able to achieve competetive times.

Never really thought about that. To be fair most speed runs are hardware dependent to a certain extent, unless its on a console game. I've played this game both with abysmal hardware and really good hardware and I definitely would say it does make a difference, though stutters are still frequent sometimes with 3x speed on new hardware. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the game even knows what an 8 core CPU looks like let only anymore than that. For the person that runs the category they could maybe make a 1x only category for more competition. (EDIT) never mind ignore that last sentence, there actually is a 1x only speed category, it turns out to be the one that says IGT. I am just blind lol.

12 minutes ago, NoYes said:

Never really thought about that. To be fair most speed runs are hardware dependent to a certain extent, unless its on a console game. I've played this game both with abysmal hardware and really good hardware and I definitely would say it does make a difference, though stutters are still frequent sometimes with 3x speed on new hardware. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the game even knows what an 8 core CPU looks like let only anymore than that. For the person that runs the category they could maybe make a 1x only category for more competition. (EDIT) never mind ignore that last sentence, there actually is a 1x only speed category I am just blind lol.

Personally, I'd like to see the categories split, outright.

IGT and RTA.

IGT would favor those who want to play in realtime for each mission, regardless of hardware but I also understand it would cause alot of tie-breakers with how the game only counts to the second. This wouldnt be strictly limited 1x speed only. Rather I'd like for it to be a showcase of who has the best solutions for each mission.

RTA would stay as is, whether the ingame speed is restricted or not. Maybe down the road, an FPS cap or some kind of limit can be imposed.

• Upvote 1