em4.cfg Tweaks (Graphics)

Haha amen I have Intel too, they are crap graphics cards though let's be fair. But fortunately I have a second pc with ATI so been able to try it out.

Does anyone have a modified config file that enhances the graphics? Or some other type of ENB or graphics mod? Just curious.

I think I have one thing to contribute actually. Just tried experimentation with the em4 code, and there may be something that improves how textures are drawn in Em4.

This setting:

<var name="r_tex_mipbias" value="0.5" />

I have found out that "mipbias" means the MimMapping bias for the textures ingame. This means, that the game actually renders the textures smaller than the actual texture that the player/user puts into the game. This setting is linked to how the game makes textures smaller when the object is at a fair distance away from the viewer.

I set that value to -1.0 and noticed that the textures no longer looked blurry when viewed from a distance and in some cases, details like decals and license plates could be made out better from a distance. I am unsure of its effect on performance because I only looked at it a couple hours ago.

I think I have one thing to contribute actually. Just tried experimentation with the em4 code, and there may be something that improves how textures are drawn in Em4.

This setting:

<var name="r_tex_mipbias" value="0.5" />
I have found out that "mipbias" means the MimMapping bias for the textures ingame. This means, that the game actually renders the textures smaller than the actual texture that the player/user puts into the game. This setting is linked to how the game makes textures smaller when the object is at a fair distance away from the viewer.

I set that value to -1.0 and noticed that the textures no longer looked blurry when viewed from a distance and in some cases, details like decals and license plates could be made out better from a distance. I am unsure of its effect on performance because I only looked at it a couple hours ago.

Good find! I'm on my pc now I'll have a look into its effects on fps

Not worried about frames on my PC. Will definately take a look. Thanks guys.

Another thing I noticed. Is there a way to better organize the cfg file? Mine is always really messy and crunched together.

Don't know if this is still relevant as is old but found this incredibly interesting. I will definitely have to try this soon. 

I was just wondering, do you know if setting the value to lower than -1 would improve it further or is -1 the maximum. Also, have you found any other lines that change graphics that could be useful?

16 hours ago, TWMCPE said:

Don't know if this is still relevant as is old but found this incredibly interesting. I will definitely have to try this soon. 

I was just wondering, do you know if setting the value to lower than -1 would improve it further or is -1 the maximum. Also, have you found any other lines that change graphics that could be useful?

Nothing else, this one seems to be the only graphical setting that does anything major. The rest are all relating to items that the player wouldnt notice or care ingame.

Setting it to -3.0, I believe is the maximum, but makes the textures look too sharp and quite abraisive. The best number I found is -0.1 which is a balance of sharpness, while the game has enough smoothing of the textures so that it doesnt look too blurry. The setting makes things look very jagged at insane settings, so adjust with moderation.

The game makes textures look smoother by reducing their resolution when you are farther from the object(s). The value here simply reduces the amount of that resolution downscaling.