legionix

Texture problems with mods (transparency?)

Hello all!

I'm having some difficulties with texture "wrapping" in the Helping Peter and ERS Berlin mods. It is exactly as described in this thread:

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/topic/19265-vehicle-texture-problem-911-first-responders/

Unfortunately, the solution offered by MikeyPI there (change all .PNG textures to .BMP and change the v3o file accordingly to eliminate the alpha channels) doesn't work for me. It fixes some vehicles but others remain distorted. I think that the changes in the v3o file might not be working entirely because when I delete the original .PNG files, the vehicles become entirely white and texture-less.

Is there another change I need to make to the v3o? Is there a better solution?

Thank you all in advance,

LegionIX

If you change the file from a png to a bmp, you need to make sure that the v3o is looking for the bmp. If you open an unlocked v3o in a text editor, you'll see a line not too far down that says something like yourunit, yourunit.png. You need to change the png to a bmp for it to use the right file

You need to change the png to a bmp for it to use the right file

I just noticed a significant issue. I only edited the v3o files which notepad was able to open. Some of them did not display plain text but rather wingdings-like gibberish. Do I have corrupted files? I will try a redownload.

The reference in the v3o must be updated to match the changed texture, so if it was originally a .dds or .png and you've changed it to .bmp you would have to open the model files that are linked to that texture in notepad and change the srf lines from what they were to match what you changed them to.  If you see strange text that is not plain english then that model file has been "locked" by the author and must be unpacked in the editor.  The process to do this is well documented on the forum.