The Loot

Firefighters Taking Damage from Smoke/Fire

For some reason, my Firefighters are taking damage from being around fires and smoke during missions. I've tweaked a lot of things in the LA submod I'm using, but I can't think of anything that would have caused it to happen. What files and settings should I look at to fix this?

The only thing I can think of is "materials", which I'd need a copy of the default one as I screwed up and edited it instead of a mod copy.

Also, I've now noticed that the dog does not appear from the Rescue Dog vehicle, nor can I find a script that controls that.

Scratch that, it must have glitched the first time.

Weird, because under Resistance in Traits, the numbers are greyed out, and don't correspond to either "fireresistance" in specs nor a 0-100% scale (numbers like 3000 and 6000 for PM and PMSCBA).

Also, in the first EM4 mission, it's supposed to find Person Type Mask and not do damage to them in the smoke, but both SCBA units get damaged.

And in the LA Race Crash mission, I had two SCBA Firefighters go down near the burning cars.

Well, I looked at the mission script for the second game mission, and there's a section controlling it.

bool IsSpecialFireFighter(Person *person_)    {if(person_->GetRole() == ROLE_SQUAD)        {if (person_->GetPersonType() == PT_FIREFIGHTER_MASK)            return true;        }        return false;    }

I never changed PersonTypes of any of my units, so I don't know why it decided to stop working correctly. I'm going to see if I can use StrCompare for the prototypes to avoid that.

I've also had firefighters get injured (and fire engines explode) during freeplay, which I didn't think happened. I've just decided that sometimes the fire is just WAY too intense, and it adds some extra challenge if it happens. But the smoke damaging SCBA guys during those missions is a bug I need to fix.

Two of the mission scripts have functions that damage non-SCBA units, and that's the issue I wanted to solve.

bool IsSpecialFireFighter(Person *p)    {if(p->GetRole() == ROLE_SQUAD)        {if (p->GetPersonType() == PT_FIREFIGHTER_MASK)            return true;            if (StrCompare(p->GetPrototypeFileName(),"mod:Prototypes/Persons/01 LA Ambulance/ff_paramedic_scba.e4p") == 0 ||                    StrCompare(p->GetPrototypeFileName(),"mod:Prototypes/Persons/02 LA Fire Department/ff_emt_scba.e4p") == 0 ||                    StrCompare(p->GetPrototypeFileName(),"mod:Prototypes/Persons/02 LA Fire Department/ff_hazmat.e4p") == 0 ||                    StrCompare(p->GetPrototypeFileName(),"mod:Prototypes/Persons/02 LA Fire Department/usfs_ff_scba.e4p") == 0                        )                return true;        }        return false;    }

That seems to have finally fixed the smoke damage in the second game mission, and I assume the other mission will be fixed when I add that, too. I might dive into the resistances, but it doesn't bother me too much to have units get injured from time to time. I lowered Civilian resistance so now I can have more people to save.