DylnCox

Where to begin?

Well if you say you know a modelling program, learn Zmod. 2 It's your best bet. As for learning about other things, play around in the edtior on maps that already exist, learn how things work, once you think you've got a fair understanding of whats already there, try to add more, then try to start adding units, and scripts and see what happens. There's lots of tutorials all about to helpo you along the way as well as a mostly nice (excluding me :P ) community very willing to help explain things

If it can dump to 3DS format it may work, however realize that zmod does have some compatibility issues with some applications so Z2 is in reality for this game the best option on the cheap that can do the models.... You require the export plugin for V3O and unfortunately zmod2 is the only one that has it, so you'll have to learn to use zmod2 a bit anyway. Some apps lose the UV map in the 3DS to V3O format shift so you might end up HAVING to use zmod2 anyway to "fix" the model that you made in a different program (some instances it is more than just a UV map loss this'll vary by applications), for myself it's not horribly painful with the app that I use instead of Z2, but still it's easier to avoid it if you're "new" to it and just use Z2 under most circumstances.