heyjoojoo

Question re: Why do companies send an aerial ladder to a vehicle crash?

I know that there is always a purpose for sending Engines to a car crash but never could understand why the Aerial Ladder usually goes automatically. It seems like I would more apt to sending the lite equipment truck which carries the extrication equipment right? I cant see sending that large truck - seems unnecessary but I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten me here.

The LA mod is crafted after the real life operations of the LAFD. The LAFD does not use paramedic squads (light equipment truck) like LACoFD. njboy13 is absolutely correct when he said that the truck carries the extracation tools. I believe heavy rescue 56 and the USARs carry extracation tools also, but they are rarely called out to a traffic accident unless it's bad. Besides, only one USAR in addition to HR56 is staffed 24/7, and thats USAR 88. All the other USARs respond with the task force in their station and someone from the TF will drive the USAR to the scene.

It's pretty much the same deal in the LACoFD. A truck (or quint) will always respond in addition to a paramedic squad even though the squad carries extracation tools.

In Columbus we do not have extrication equpied ladders. The only reason ladders are on our freeway assignment card is for closing the freeway.

Our normal Vehicle Accident assignment, Engine, Rescue, Medic (If a freeway assignment add EMS coordinator.)

Working extrications, add't Engine, Rescue and Medic + SO2 and Batt. Chief. (only by Batt. Chief or SO2 request will a ladder be dispatched.)

Again it all comes down to where you live. Where as LA carries Extrication tools on there ladders, Columbus does not and simply uses them to help create a safe zone. Where I live aside from 2 specialty stations, each fire house is assigned 1 quint or 1 engine. There is however an exception where one station has the one and only tower ladder in town. So depending on what area of town you live in, a quint will be dispatched even for medic runs. In the case of an MVA,extrication tools are housed on ,that I know of for sure) 2 of the 4 quints in town. So not only are they going to be dispatched for medical assistance, there going because of extrication needs, where as in LA for example, your going to have a light force called to handle extrication and assist in medical aid, here your just going to have a single quint with usually a 4 man screw to handle both jobs.