MAN007

Pontiac is going out of business!

Herp dee derp. Pontiac was shut down by GM almost 2 years ago. I'm surprised they waited this long to initiate it since they said it was going to be closed in early 2010.

Seriously disappoints me that Pontiac lasted longer than Saturn, since Saturn >pwns> Pontiac.

I would take a Pontiac(Trans Am) over a Saturn any day. And yeah this is old news. The said they were going to close it awhile ago when the car market went up in flames. Although I never quite understood the point in GM owning Cadillac,Chevy,etc. I would have slapped the GM name on all of them ages ago.

Oldsmobile, Mercury, GMC, they're all at risk just because they're different branches of a company. Mercury is Ford, GMC is Chevy, etc. They just put better parts on the cars to make them look nicer. A Mercury Milan is basically a Ford Fusion, just with different parts. ;)

Oldsmobile, Mercury, GMC, they're all at risk just because they're different branches of a company. Mercury is Ford, GMC is Chevy, etc. They just put better parts on the cars to make them look nicer. A Mercury Milan is basically a Ford Fusion, just with different parts. ;)

Oldsmobile ceased production in 2004, Mercury ceases production at the end of the year but GMC is still alive and well :)

This is old news they announced the death of Pont along with other subdivs (some of which they got stuck with I think, they were trying to sell em off) when they announced the restructuring plan for the company as a whole. The explicit reason all these companies existed dates back to before most of us were born. Back then they tended to sell more cars under the "package" deal instead of as they are now... For example going back in time, you'd find the Chevrolet was the cheaper end of the GM lot, the Pontiacs were more sporty, the Oldsmobile was more "refined", the caddilac was the cream of the crop on luxury, buick is kinda the odd group out, I have no real clue why they existed, perhaps to fill the slot between old and caddy.

Anywho, back in the day most these vehicles while roughly based on the same chassis and all of that, could not be purchased with the same options as the other ones, for ex the engine packages, the interior options, the asthetics were uniquely locked by brand. As time progressed and they got more involved in the mass-production concept of same exact thing w/1000 options each, it negated the need for all these brands, hence why they're all tumbling one by one.