MCERT1

Rescue Knives/Tools

Rescue Knives/Tools  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you purchase for work?

• Gerber Hinderer CLS
    • Smith & Wesson SW911N

Hi everyone I recently passed my EMT test and I want to get a new toy as a gift to myself.

We're allowed to carry personal rescue knife/tool for the job. The problem is I can't decide which to get, and would like some advice.

I've narrowed my choices down to two:

The Gerber Hinderer CLS:

Features a seat belt cutter,window punch tip, and an built in O2 wrench.

Smith & Wesson SW911N:

Features a spring loaded window punch, and a seatbelt cutter built into the blade

I'm leaning towards the SW911N because of the spring loaded punch, and the design of the blade. If by some chance it ends up in the hands of a crazed patient, it isn't too much of an offensive weapon.I'm also open to other suggestions for other products.

If you're going to be carrying it as an EMT, I would think about the Gerber Hinderer Firefighter Rescue Knife, rather than the CLS. They're essentially the same knife, except that the firefighter version is red with a silver blade and the tip is blunted, so you can be cutting around a person and not have to worry about the tip going all the way through what you're cutting and going into the persons back and injuring them even more. It's what I carry when I ride EMS.