Turk_WLF

My Idea for my very first mod (Questions)

I have been reading up on how to make your own Mods, but I have a few questions before I try it on my own. I just want to make these mods just for my personnel use. (for Los Angeles Mod Ver. 2.0)

1) Is there a way I can 2 copies of the Game, one I can keep in the original setup and another copy to try my mods on? (so I can have a playable copy)

Here is what I would like to ...

1. Replace the BLS Ambulance with the ALS Ambulance at Station 2.

2. Replace the Haz-Mat Squad with the USAR Squad or Aerial Ladder Truck at Station 2.

3. Learn how to place different units in a free parking stall (Like LACoFD Squad at Station 2).

4. Can I have a FF/PM (From ALS Engine) dispatch an Ambulance to the scene if needed.

I have some basic programming knowledge but not in C++.

Is this something I should try?

Thanks,

You don't need two games, you can run two mods for the LA mod.. Really all you need to do is change the name in the em4mod.info change mod name= to something else.. Then you can install another copy.

1. Replace the BLS Ambulance with the ALS Ambulance at Station 2. That's a relatively simple edit to the Firestation Script and ToFirestaion script I do believe.. Might be a lil more advanced though

2. Replace the Haz-Mat Squad with the USAR Squad or Aerial Ladder Truck at Station 2. Once again, check alterations, ther'e a tutorial I think.

3. Learn how to place different units in a free parking stall (Like LACoFD Squad at Station 2). note up

4. Can I have a FF/PM (From ALS Engine) dispatch an Ambulance to the scene if needed. That's as simple as going in the editor and adding the PCmdCallAmbulance (Or ALS/BLS) in his commands)

Try #4 first, that's the simplest, 1 2 and 3 are harder, but there are tutorials I do believe

4. Can I have a FF/PM (From ALS Engine) dispatch an Ambulance to the scene if needed. That's as simple as going in the editor and adding the PCmdCallAmbulance (Or ALS/BLS) in his commands)

Try #4 first, that's the simplest, 1 2 and 3 are harder, but there are tutorials I do believe

I'm having problems with #4, I can get the PCmdCallAmbulance assigned to the FF/PM but the icon takes the place for the "toolbox icon" (the one where you click to get to tools like hose, ax, etc) & the Icon blinks or flashes.

What I'm doing wrong?

You don't need two games, you can run two mods for the LA mod.. Really all you need to do is change the name in the em4mod.info change mod name= to something else.. Then you can install another copy.

1. Replace the BLS Ambulance with the ALS Ambulance at Station 2. That's a relatively simple edit to the Firestation Script and ToFirestaion script I do believe.. Might be a lil more advanced though

NewFoundking,

Copy the LA Mod directory into the mod folder so that there is two copies and change the name, then make your change to the em4mod.info, this i would think should give you multiple options when you go to load the different mods.

I'm trying to also do item 1, it is a lttle harder than you discribe, you need to alter the LAtofirestation.script so that the ALS ambulance will return to either FS1 OR FS2. this bit i have not worked out just yet.

Cheers

Hairyman