JPH

Geographical area a map can cover?

Hello All,

Just using street view to create some buildings - but how many miles/metres squared does a Emergency 4 map cover?

I was to circle an area on an ordnance survey map - this will be the area the mod covers - but how larger area should I circle?

Many Thanks,

JPH

He wants to know how big a map can be geographically.. Judging saying the LA mod firetruck would be around 20 meters in real life, and in the game you can fit probably 20 or 30 from end to end (haven't ever tried, this is an estimate) I'd say you can fit around 360000 m² You could always check though, in scaling. Go into editor, take a vehicle, assume a length, and line them bumper to bumpoer from one edge to the next to get an approximate length in m, then square it :)

Guest dionissimus

how many miles/metres squared does a Emergency 4 map cover?

655 m = 0.406 miles = 0.356 nautical miles.

so,

429025 square meters

0.165 square miles

0.127 square nm

EDIT: The numbers 8192 pixels per map side and 12.5 pixels per meter come from the editor manual

P.S. And no, I am not converting this to Fahrenheit for you rolleyes.gif

655 m = 0.406 miles = 0.356 nautical miles.

so,

429025 square meters

0.165 square miles

0.127 square nm

EDIT: The numbers 8192 pixels per map side and 12.5 pixels per meter come from the editor manual

P.S. And no, I am not converting this to Fahrenheit for you rolleyes.gif

Hello,

Sorry to be a massive pain - the coastal rescue mod is based on Weymouth - I want to draw out a square on a map of weymouth and then convert this complete square into Emergency 4. When I plot 0.127 miles on the map its an incredibly small area...

Many Thanks,

JPH

Guest dionissimus

Yes, well, it IS an incredibly small area : ( I think your best bet here would be to build a stylized replica of the area. That is: consider a few important objects/roadways you want from the area, position them in proper directions on the map (like, "the refinery is in the northern part of the real area, and quite far from the city" would translate into "refinery on the far north of the map, try to make streets so that there isn't a short direct way to get there").

Supposing you have an area of residental housing, replicate a block or two from that, concentrating on the most typical buildings for the area. Add a couple of landmarks to tie the map to a particular place and give it a "face".

Understand the concept? It's about getting a "toy city", with representative objects from each part that you want to replicate.