CultziBolzi

What Modelling Program do you use?

For me, Blender is the best modelling program to use, because I'm used to its interface. For some reason, I picked up Blender very quickly, whilst quite alot of other people complain they don't like its UI. They don't even give it a proper try before they make the judgement that it's difficult to learn. I learned it in two months of extensive use, and improved with a couple of years' practice. The interface is almost completely customisable, right down to the colours and the images used for the GUI...

You can't directly export ZModeler or v3o files yet, but exporting 3ds and importing into ZModeler works perfectly, except that you have to flip the model horizontally after you import it for some reason.

In terms of creating things, I find Blender's system very easy. I like being able to just use key combinations to do things, instead of going through long, quiz-like menus to get to the function I need. I can just press CTRL+MOUSE1 to create a vertex, F to make an edge or a face between selected vertices, and Ctrl+Tab brings up one simple context menu that lets me choose my selection mode (although it's not hard to change the selection mode in ZModeler either, it's just at the top of the window).

Maybe I haven't given ZModeler a proper trial. I only tried it for an hour or two, and didn't get very far. However, I can see it's a very good program. The real bugger is that my screen is only 1024x768 in resolution, which means that ZModeler's interface is really cluttered. Maybe I should buy a widescreen, but they're like £150 and although I do have that kind of money, I don't want to spend it all on that, I am still in school so I don't have a proper income.

Polygon creation is extremely easy in Blender, you select three or four vertices by shift+clicking each one and press F, and you're done :P I tried XSI before though, I didn't get that either.

Zmodeler2 is definately the best program for most people. It's very cheap compared to most other 3D-modelling software and it is the only program with a .v3o plugin. Without Zmodeler2 the EM4 modding community wouldn't exist.

I agree that it is the best program for creating models for most games, as it has the most support for game specific formats and (I think) game-specific objects/setups. However, I wouldn't say it is the best all-round modelling program for most people, I don't mean offence to the creator but being specific to games it has no render function so you can't make fancy photorealistic scenes in it :P