Hoppah

What other games do play or have you played on your computer?

How much did this cost you? In US dollars? This looks great! Also, do calls randomly come in or are they like missions? I mean like 911 Fr in Endless game mode type of thing.

I got it for about $20. (when you make an account on the site the price is marked down a little.) The calls are all random, no set call times, etc. and varies everytime. It is pretty slow and repetative until you get to the Panther though. That is by far what the game is set up for and my favorite part. (plus way better calls.)

Oh hey, it's that time of year where I buy an obscure German simulator game, pretend I know what I'm doing, then recommend it for some stupid reason.

This week it's... werksfeuerwehr-simulator, thing? Translated: Factory fire simulator.

(Screenshots are spoiler tagged due to size)

loFrO.jpg

This game is brought to you by the same people who made Airport fire fighter simulator, and has a few improvements.I haven't played much, but got some screenies to show some new things. Couldn't get FRAPS to work with the game, so used Steam instead, which kinda worked. Apologies for the overlay at the edges.

OfV7j.jpg

So here we are, in the meeting room, as usual. I have no idea what the hell the guy is telling me to do, but I get to use Florian 1 today. Yay.

You can't see it in the screenshot, but nobody swaggers around like pimps anymore, so that makes the game 10 times better AND you can skip the tutorial :happy:

2Wfwo.jpg

...Seems legit.

uJsCQ.jpg

Ahh, good old Florian 1. Sadly Florian 2 got scrapped, and 1 became so depressed he downsized from a jeep to a Volkswagen golf.

p9yft.jpg

These two fire engines are cool. The closest one has a front canon, while the next one has a roof canon. The others don't.

58cAF.jpg

What the hell am I looking at? An emergency....crane? Better consult the store page:

"Driving special vehicles such as the Zikun ® Turbo extinguisher, TLFs with roof monitor and turntable ladder vehicles"

Of course, a Zikun Turbo extinguisher, how silly of me. If anyone's interested, here's a brochure for it - it's basically a fire engine which shoots water out its ass.

fLB87.jpg

Yay, new cameras! :laugh: You can have the camera inside, fixed from behind, free move, or door. The speedometer and fuel gauge inside also work, which is nice.

QIG51.jpg

So I'm just chilling around, looking at all the industrial stuff, when the boss man gets on the radio and starts shouting some text at me. It seemed rather important because a waypoint arrow appeared and a timer started.

DmLo4.jpg

NOW I understand what the emergency was. There is a raging inferno threatening to burn down the industrial park. Millions of lives are at stake here, and backups not gonna arrive in time - I have to act quickly.

nusjP.jpg

g5TKW.jpg

Again, I have no idea what boss man is telling me, but I'm pretty sure the mayor's giving me the keys to the city - and probably ice cream too.

7TxrG.jpg

Because I was driving off road for a while, my car got dirty. That's going to be embarrassing when the mayor arrives. One of the pictures on the store page looks like the guy is cleaning a fire engine with a hose. Seems logical. Except this isn't a fire engine and I don't have a hose...

012fQ.jpg

Yeah, that'll work.

Other stuff I missed and thoughts:

- You have to get out and 'use' petrol pumps when refueling.

- There are access points around the map for fire hoses. Don't know if they're used to fight fires, or refill your tanks - or both.

- Animations are still a bit stiff, but better than the airport one.

- There's almost no traffic... just a few forklifts and workers walking around. Kinda disappointing, since Airport firefighter had loads

- One of the points on the storepage is that you can go inside burning buildings to extinguish fires and rescue people. That ought to be good.

- I found myself driving along roads which abruptly came to an end. There's a slight speed decrease when you go offroad, but noting to stop you.

I'm gonna play the game some more tomorrow and see where it leads off from there.

EDIT:

Some other things I've noticed in game.

Vehicle defects

When I ran the game through steam, I noticed the siren wasn't working despite the green light coming on. I assumed this was a sound glitch or something. When I started a new game later on, the siren was working, but the left indicator wasn't. There's a service building behind the fire station where you can fix your vehicle. This is also where you go to get a pressure washer to clean your vehicle.

Continuation

My shift finished, saved the game, and moved on to the next day. I was still using Florian 1, and I noticed there was still dirt I missed from the previous shift, and the tank was 3/4 full - that's quite a nice touch.

More responders

Whilst cleaning my car, the alarm went and all the garage doors opened. Joining me to the reported incident was both ambulances and a fire engine. This seems to happen on the majority of calls regardless on the fire size.

Well, it looks like Far Cry 3 is out now. So guess what I bought...

112628.jpg

Oh god what am I doing.

From what I've read, Far Cry 3 is only out in certain countries and if you try to activate it, it'll lock the game until the 30th. I'll probably pick it up in town tomorrow in that case.

Anyway, Polizei 2013...yeah... Still uses the .Model which sucks, and haven't tried to edit/unlock the .dds files. I only played six minutes, and it's got some new stuff. I'm quite annoyed at the moment though because the people who made this game have shown that they are lazy.

The game is advertised as German only, but we all know that the text files are in XML format, so you can edit them. Once navigating to the Data/Lang folder, I spotted two folders - "DE" and "UK". Sure enough, the game has been translated into English.

Start up the game, go to settings. No language options.

Oh, well that's easy to fix. Just back up the DE folder, and rename the UK folder to DE. That'll fix it.

WRONG

Now this is what's really annoyed me. Here is an example of the mainmenu.xml file from the German file:

<strings>

<string name="ID_BTN_NEW_GAME">Neue Karriere</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CONTINUE_GAME">Karriere fortsetzen</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_SAVEGAMES">Spielstände</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_OPTIONS">Einstellungen</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_AWARDS">Auszeichnungen</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_ACHIEVEMENTS">Erfolge</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CREDITS">Credits</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_QUIT">Zurück zu Windows</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_BACK">Zurück</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_OK">OK</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CANCLE">Abbrechen</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CONTINUE">Weiter</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_PROFIL_SELECTION">Profilauswahl</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CARERR_RESUME">Karriere fortführen</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CARERR_NEW">Neue Karriere</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_NEW_PROFIL">Neues Spielerprofil</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_ERASE_PROFIL">Spielerprofil löschen</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_NEW_GAME">Hier können Sie eine neue Karriere starten</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_CONTINE_GAME">Hier können Sie Ihr Spiel fortsetzen</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_SAVEGAMES">Hier finden Sie alle Spielstände</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_OPTIONS">Einstellungen: Legen Sie Ihre bevorzugten Einstellungen für Spiel, Grafik und Sound fest</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_AWARDS">Übersicht über alle Auszeichnungen die Sie erhalten haben</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_ACHIEVEMENTS">Sehen Sie sich Erfolge an, die sie in der Kampagne erzielt haben</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_CREDITS">Credits</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_QUIT">Spiel beenden</string>

And here's the same section from the English mainmenu.xml file:

<strings>

<string name="ID_BTN_NEW_GAME">New Career</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CONTINUE_GAME">Continue Career</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_SAVEGAMES">Games</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_OPTIONS">Settings</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_AWARDS">Awards</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_ACHIEVEMENTS">Successes</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CREDITS">Credits</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_QUIT">Return to Windows</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_BACK">Back</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_OK">OK</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CANCLE">Cancel</string>

<string name="ID_BTN_CONTINUE">Continue</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_NEW_GAME">You can start a new career here</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_CONTINE_GAME">You can continue your game here</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_SAVEGAMES">You will find all games here</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_OPTIONS">Settings: specify your preferred settings for the game, graphics and sound</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_AWARDS">Overview of all awards that you have received</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_ACHIEVEMENTS">Look at the successes that you achieved during the campaign</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_CREDITS">Credits</string>

<string name="ID_MM_TOOLTIP_QUIT">Exit game</string>

"Gee, the English XML quote sure does look a lot smaller than the German XML quote"

You're damn right it is. Half the stuff isn't even IN the file. Like if you want to select your profile, it just appears as: "ID_BTN_PROFIL_SELECTION". But it's not an oversight on the main menu, it's done throughout the whole game.

It's like five people worked individually worked on separate parts, and gave up at random intervals. The tutorial only gets about two steps in then turns to garbage, and your tool belt is about three quarters translated.

The really annoying thing is that it's not like they forgot to put the describing words in - the strings aren't there full stop. It'll be quicker copying the English stuff onto the German file and filling in the many blanks.

Why did they even bother?

Rage