terminator4d

Is there a limit on lights?

So I am editing some Fairfax vehicles and finished the ladder truck which was missing a lot of lights and I went to save the prototype and when I went back into the editor later half of the lights were gone. Is there a limit on how many lights you can use? or did I do something wrong? I did not see any save button except for saving a new prototype so I just overwrote the older ladder truck since I wanted my updated one instead. Any help would be appreciated. I just lost hours of work and do not want to make that mistake again. 

You may have accidentally pressed 'cancel' in the light editor. Another theory is that your changes were not saved due to Em4 not being able to access and overwrite the file.

There is no limit to lights but having too many lights will cause lag when playing the vehicle. Many low to mid end computers cannot handle high poly models, or heavilly lighted models. It is recommended to stay under 90 lights (regardless of corona, radiation or polygon) in order to maintain a good FPS rate.

• Upvote 1

I didn't press cancel and when I went to save the prototype I overwrote the original vehicles as I wanted the updated ones in the game and when I did that only half of the truck had working lights even when I had lights on the entire truck and I only had 75 lights and only 60 were saved. I will try it again and see what happens. I just don't want to spend hours updating lights on vehicles if they only work randomly or only save half of my work. Thanks for the information though.

59 minutes ago, MikeyPI said:

Make sure the editor is ran as an administrator.

You know that could be it. I will try that, thanks. I am just wanting to change some lights or add lights since the Fairfax mod was never finished I am trying to fix some things and add some things myself but I am new to modding this game. lol

With Vista+ Machines by default the program files folders are "protected" from modifying without being an administrator.  Supposed to make the computers safer (not that malware and the like cares since it just gets you to run as an admin anyway) but older software that was designed pre-vista+ doesnt have by-default the setup to run at elevated priv. You have to do that manually for older software and EM4 is unfort old enough that by default it doesnt know to do it; so you have to ensure you set the compatibility to run as an admin.  Alternatively, you can change the permissions of the game's install directory to be open to regular users to modify it, but that tends to be far more work (particularly if you won't be tampering with it outside of the editor anyway).