Guest CyanWinters

Problem with 911FR on Vista

Guest CyanWinters

After initially buying/downloading/installing the game, I was met with the secuROM error. Reading that running the .exe in administrator mode, I did such.

Things were looking up, I was taken to the control panel where I was told to put in the serial code I was given, which I did, and it was confirmed. After clicking ok, the screen went away and......nothing. The game never loaded, nothing ever happened.

And that is what is repeated every time I try and run the game as administrator. I get the initial loading icon by my cursor, then it stops and nothing ever loads. Trying to run the game as a non-administrator brings back the secuROM errors.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with it, but it's quite ridiculous.

Any ideas? Anyone having any issues?

Even more frustrating is that, if I look in the task manager, there a process running called em4.exe, and it's taking up about 15k memory (less than Mozilla Firefox or AIM) but there is no mention of EM4 in the applications tab.

It also asks me to "Allow" the .exe every time I go to start it.

It can't just be Vista crapping out, as Vista people have the game working fine, so what's wrong?

Guest cva6633

Maybe you should try running it in compatibility mode for winXP.

The game works on my computer without running it as administrator and just with the compatibilty.

Guest CyanWinters
Maybe you should try running it in compatibility mode for winXP.

The game works on my computer without running it as administrator and just with the compatibilty.

Which compatibility? I believe I tried it as Windows XP (SP2). I guess I'll try in some other versions.

I've tried it in Windows 2000, as well as XP SP1 and SP2.

It's not a compatibility issue :-/

For people running 911 on Vista..are you using Vista Ultimate? And what do you have as far as windows security? Firewall on/off ect? I'm completly confused as to what this could be. It seems as though it will run on my PC, which is XP, but that computer has no link to the internet so I cannot confirm my serial code (what a terrible system btw).

Any help?

Guest cva6633

Mine runs as windows XP SP2 and without running it as administrator.

I am running vista premium and I dont turn off windows firewall or anything else.

Maybe reinstalling the game will help?

You could also have a video card issue have you tried updating your drivers?

Guest Tomato

I saw a good installation guide for vista on the internet.... involved the guy putting the disc through a shredder... I understand the concept of vista.... but it doesn't work!

Guest CyanWinters
Vista 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

I'm running 32 bit Vista Ultimate.

I've tried reinstalling, and even re downloading the install files from Atari.

I've tried to get assistance through SecuROM, but my analysis file is always either incomplete..or it never stops analyzing. The most annoying this is when I try and run the game, the em4.exe is listed in processes, and it runs my CPU up to 100%! And it never goes away and never lowers CPU usage until I manually terminate the process.

This is...ridiculous.

Guest CyanWinters
post your game logfile (C:\Program Files\Atari\911 First Responders) its a file called "logfile"

Well, first off the file is Program Files \ Wizardworks \ 911 First Responders, not Atari. Doubt that matters..

Anyway..I don't see a file called "logfile" anywhere..

Well, first off the file is Program Files \ Wizardworks \ 911 First Responders, not Atari. Doubt that matters..

Anyway..I don't see a file called "logfile" anywhere..

not even a text file caleld log nothing? :unsure:

I got 911 and for me I found a log file.

here the full path

C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\logfile.txt

Maybe if the file not there that what the probelm is. Also perphaes it not getting far enough in the load proccess.

One thing I notice before with both em4 and 911 was when I had the game at a lower resolution then my desktop I got a lot of crash and hang up. I raise the game resolution to equal the laptop and the probelms when away.

I looked over your file sizes and data mostly they seem alive but the cgf file has a much older data. I wonder if you made any of the chance stan suggest in other posts. Turn of the shadowing or that stuff.

I supect the lack for a log file is the progarm has not made it fair enought to create a log file.

I would try the folllowing

1. Try different desktop reslution settings. I am not sure what size you using or the game default.

2. Try the cnf file changes posted else were.

How much memory those your computer have? are you runing the fancy Vista imaging?

Guest CyanWinters

UPDATE:

SecuROM sent me a fixed EXE, which worked perfectly the first few times. The problem? Whenever I tried to change the games resolution it CTD'ed. And now, the game won't start. It's more promising than before. The game starts to load, I get a black windowed screen that says Emergency 4 at the top, but then it blinks away and nothing happens.

Also the SecuROM analysis now works, but after sending it to them they told me nothing was wrong.

I now also have a logfile, here are its contents:

Init Filesystem...
Registered FS device "local"
Registered FS device "base"
Registered FS device "lang"
Init UpdateChain...
Init Timer...
Init Screen...
Init Scriptscheduler...
!Graphics system: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce Go 7900 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex
Init GFX...
Init Vision...
|Vision DLL path: C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\vision71.dll

|Vision(tm), Version PC-4, 7, 28, 0

|Loading entity plugins of directory <C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Data> ...

|List of loaded plug-ins:

|Plug-in named 'CubeMapHandle_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisionConsoleEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisBase_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisBaseEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisMouseCamera_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisObject3D_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisActionHelperEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VarManager_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'BaseEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VBaseCameraEntity' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VCamEntity' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'GameEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'Emitter_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'BaseGameEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'TargetEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Registering plug-ins done !

|Initializing Vision Graphics Engine

|Detecting CPU type and features

|CPU:Pentium IV FPU MMX ISSE 3DNow!

|Vision Core: Allocated 28 kB of memory for Polygon Chunks

|Vision Core: Allocated 9 kB of memory for Entities

|Settings renderer configuration

Initializing post processor 'PerceptionCore'
* Skipping config file
Initializing post processor 'MotionBlur'
* Skipping config file
Initializing post processor 'Nightvision'
* Skipping config file
|Initialising video driver: 0

|Setting screen mode to x:1280 / y:960 / bpp:32 / refresh:0

|Screen Mode is fullscreen, return value: -402

|Stencil buffer: 0 bit / ZBuffer: 24 bit

?VulpineWrapper::ChangeScreenMode(): VERR_NOSCREENMODE - Screen mode could not be set
!WARNING: global listener object is still registered! Unregister listener before destroying object!

A black window then a CTD (crash to destop) mostly happens when a problem occurs with your video cards, mostly this can be fixed ny installing new drivers.

If this isn't due to the drivers, the could be different reasons.

Did you install software in the past days? Like samsung pc studio or other software that commes with video or audio codecs?

Guest CyanWinters
A black window then a CTD (crash to destop) mostly happens when a problem occurs with your video cards, mostly this can be fixed ny installing new drivers.

If this isn't due to the drivers, the could be different reasons.

Did you install software in the past days? Like samsung pc studio or other software that commes with video or audio codecs?

No. And i've reformatted Vista since the original problems and still the persist.

I will try new drivers next, that might be the problem..hmm..

If all else fails, I'm building a new PC and it better work on that, heh.

Thanks for all the help Stan. Will get back to you on driver update.

*UPDATE*

nVidia doesn't have Vista drivers for their 7900 laptop cards, so far as I can see..

Guest OfficerFriendly

Actually the issue with that file is that when you are logged into vista it logs you under admin and limited user. In order to run the game the very first time you need to right click on the link and choose run as administrator and then it will do the security feature and after you will be all set to run the game without going through the process again. Just a suggestion that we add this bit of info in a more obvious spot for future users. Overall the game is awesome! A side note my HP laptop has a 7900 video card and you are right Nvidia doesn't issue drivers for the laptop cards since it is the manufacture's responsibility so in order to get an update check with them, I know they are out there because I got a new driver from HP just the other day.

Guest dixiecowboy239
After initially buying/downloading/installing the game, I was met with the secuROM error. Reading that running the .exe in administrator mode, I did such.

Things were looking up, I was taken to the control panel where I was told to put in the serial code I was given, which I did, and it was confirmed. After clicking ok, the screen went away and......nothing. The game never loaded, nothing ever happened.

And that is what is repeated every time I try and run the game as administrator. I get the initial loading icon by my cursor, then it stops and nothing ever loads. Trying to run the game as a non-administrator brings back the secuROM errors.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with it, but it's quite ridiculous.

Any ideas? Anyone having any issues?

Even more frustrating is that, if I look in the task manager, there a process running called em4.exe, and it's taking up about 15k memory (less than Mozilla Firefox or AIM) but there is no mention of EM4 in the applications tab.

It also asks me to "Allow" the .exe every time I go to start it.

It can't just be Vista crapping out, as Vista people have the game working fine, so what's wrong?

Hey bud I think I might have a fix for your little issue there. Try updating your display drivers.... I know it sounds odd but I have the Radeon 1650 and updated my drivers and it solved the issue.

Hope it works for ya!

Guest CyanWinters
Actually the issue with that file is that when you are logged into vista it logs you under admin and limited user. In order to run the game the very first time you need to right click on the link and choose run as administrator and then it will do the security feature and after you will be all set to run the game without going through the process again. Just a suggestion that we add this bit of info in a more obvious spot for future users. Overall the game is awesome! A side note my HP laptop has a 7900 video card and you are right Nvidia doesn't issue drivers for the laptop cards since it is the manufacture's responsibility so in order to get an update check with them, I know they are out there because I got a new driver from HP just the other day.
Hey bud I think I might have a fix for your little issue there. Try updating your display drivers.... I know it sounds odd but I have the Radeon 1650 and updated my drivers and it solved the issue.

Hope it works for ya!

I've tried running it as administrator, I've tried different compatibilities, ect. Nvidia does make drivers for their mobile cards, they just don't have Vista drivers yet.

And dixie, like I've said, there are no drivers available that I can download.

I'm building my new PC this weekend..it will have Vista but hopefully it works..

Guest OfficerFriendly
I've tried running it as administrator, I've tried different compatibilities, ect. Nvidia does make drivers for their mobile cards, they just don't have Vista drivers yet.

And dixie, like I've said, there are no drivers available that I can download.

I'm building my new PC this weekend..it will have Vista but hopefully it works..

Here try this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...100〈=en it is a link to HP where they have the GoForce drivers.

Guest CyanWinters
Here try this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...100〈=en it is a link to HP where they have the GoForce drivers.

No dice. They aren't compatible.

I'm building my own PC right now, and it has a non-mobile video card (obviously) so hopefully this will be fixed. That being said, my laptops video card is better than most PC cards...

Sigh.

noticed this in your logfile:

?VulpineWrapper::ChangeScreenMode(): VERR_NOSCREENMODE - Screen mode could not be set

!WARNING: global listener object is still registered! Unregister listener before destroying object!

Its due to graphic problems.

What laptop to you have?

Guest CyanWinters
noticed this in your logfile:

Its due to graphic problems.

What laptop to you have?

Alienware m9700

I have the same problem, when I start the game I get a black window titled 911:FirstResponders for 3 sec. Then the monitor goes black for 2 seconds and I get tossed back to windows.

I have:

GeForce 8600 GTS (Nvidia ForceWare 162.22)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

Init Filesystem...
Registered FS device "local"
Registered FS device "base"
Registered FS device "lang"
Init UpdateChain...
Init Timer...
Init Screen...
Init Scriptscheduler...
!Graphics system: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 8600 GTS/PCI/SSE2
GL_EXT_bgra GL_WIN_swap_hint
CPU speed detected: 2998
Init GFX...
Init Vision...
|Vision DLL path: C:\Program Files (x86)\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\vision71.dll

|Vision(tm), Version PC-4, 7, 28, 0

|Loading entity plugins of directory <C:\Program Files (x86)\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Data> ...

|List of loaded plug-ins:

|Plug-in named 'CubeMapHandle_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisionConsoleEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisBase_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisBaseEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisMouseCamera_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisObject3D_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VisActionHelperEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VarManager_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'BaseEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VBaseCameraEntity' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'VCamEntity' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'GameEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'Emitter_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'BaseGameEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Plug-in named 'TargetEntity_cl' loaded statically!

|Registering plug-ins done !

|Initializing Vision Graphics Engine

|Detecting CPU type and features

|CPU:Pentium IV FPU MMX ISSE 3DNow!

|Vision Core: Allocated 28 kB of memory for Polygon Chunks

|Vision Core: Allocated 9 kB of memory for Entities

|Settings renderer configuration

Initializing post processor 'PerceptionCore'
* Skipping config file
Initializing post processor 'MotionBlur'
* Skipping config file
Initializing post processor 'Nightvision'
* Skipping config file
|Initialising video driver: 0

|Setting screen mode to x:1024 / y:768 / bpp:32 / refresh:0

|Screen Mode is fullscreen, return value: 0

|Stencil buffer: 0 bit / ZBuffer: 24 bit

|Initializing OpenGL rendering subsystem

|Setting initial Renderer States

|Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

|Renderer: GeForce 8600 GTS/PCI/SSE2

|Driver Version: 2.1.1

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic not available

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias not available

|Extension GL_ARB_multitexture not available

|Extension GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 not available

|Extension GL_ARB_texture_env_subtract not available

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp not available

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_env_add not available

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_env_combine not available

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_cube_map not available

|Extension GL_ARB_texture_compression not available

|Extension GL_EXT_point_parameters not available

|Extension GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint not available

|Extension GL_EXT_vertex_weighting not available

|Extension GL_EXT_separate_specular_color not available

|Extension GL_EXT_stencil_wrap not available

|Extension GL_EXT_vertex_shader not available

|Extension GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays not available

|Extension GL_ATI_fragment_shader not available

|Extension GL_ATI_pn_triangles not available

|Extension GL_ATI_map_object_buffer not available

|Extension GL_NV_texgen_reflection not available

|Extension GL_NV_fence not available

|Extension GL_NV_blend_square not available

|Extension GL_NV_register_combiners not available

|Extension GL_NV_register_combiners2 not available

|Extension GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 not available

|Extension GL_NV_texture_shader not available

|Extension GL_NV_vertex_program not available

|Extension GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 not available

|Extension GL_NV_occlusion_query not available

|Extension GL_EXT_paletted_texture not available

|Extension GL_ATI_separate_stencil not available

|Extension GL_EXT_texture_rectangle not available

|Extension GL_ARB_depth_texture not available

|Extension GL_ARB_shadow not available

|Extension GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap not available

|Extension GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object not available

|Found Extension WGL_ARB_render_texture

|Found Extension WGL_NV_render_depth_texture

|Found Extension WGL_NV_render_texture_rectangle

|Found Extension WGL_ARB_pbuffer

|Found Extension WGL_ARB_pixel_format

|Found Extension WGL_EXT_swap_control

?ERROR: The Vision engine requires support for the ARB_multitexture extension!
Please make sure you have the latest video drivers installed for your 3D card.

|Extension GL_ARB_shader_objects not available

|Vertex Buffer Object extension not found - disabling fast geometry memory!