MAN007

New Fire Truck Simulator?

Feuerwehr Simulator 2010 to be exact...

Developed by Astragon Games...

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Dzr2v-RHs

What do you think? :prop:

EDIT: Maybe not german only, also titled Fire Brigade Simulator 2010.

There is also a tow truck simulator titled: Abschleppwagen-Simulator

Here is the official Astragon Games website:

http://www.astragon.de/simulationen.html

It's not a Fire Truck Simulator mate, it's a firefighter simulation. I myself completed the game and liked it alot! I really respect them for trying a new thing in the market, without knowing if it would succeed very well. Even though the graphics aren't anything good and you can only play campaign missions, I'll give it a 7.5/10

A family member managed to track down the game while overseas for me and bought it, I'm just installing it and will post up a 'review' and screenshots.

It's a german version, so i'll have to see how i go understanding it, Might be a call to take a course in german :P

hi, does anyone know if its in English yet? and is there a "free play"? thanks! :1046275767_ugly:

To my knowledge, the game is not in English yet. And there probably isn't a freeplay, just missions.

Now, there is some good news. The game is now shipping from Amazon.fr and is cheaper than the Amazon.de shop. There are a few problems though:

The language is not English, but that's what happened to EM4 so there could be an English version soon-ish.

Amazon.fr only ships in the EU. Sucks if you're not.

You may look at it and go "14.99? That's not too bad actually". Well there are more costs to it. If you choose "Rapide" for as your shipping method - since it's the cheapest - then you have to pay 4.27 for the shipping, and 1.55 for "cost per item" (I think that's right). So if that's right, then so far it costs 20.81 euros. Then your bank is probably gonna charge you:

Card transaction abroad: You will pay a conversion fee of 2.75% of the sterling value of anything you buy using your card.

Separate fees are made for international transactions. There may also be fees for other work that is unusual or exceptional.

No idea what half of that means, but I'm going to guess that's a further 2.75% of what it already costs.

So.. about 21.38 Euros. Probably worth waiting eh? :P

Right then, a review... of sorts.

Feuerwehr-simulator 2010 was developed/co-developed by Vstep, a Dutch company that creates training simulators for emergency services.

Feuerwehr-simulator simulator features 11 missions (including 4 tutorial missions that introduce you to the mechanics of the game), vehicle driving from the view of the firefighter, and a range of tools you'd expect to find on a fire engine.

The vehicles

There are a total of 5 fire service vehicles featured in the game. However, you will only ever drive one of them to the scene.

Fire engine

engine.jpg

The fire engine is the vehicle you'll only ever get to drive. It will carry the four firefighters that you can control to the scenes of accidents and has all the equipment you'll need. It has a reasonable speed too, so unless you go the wrong way, you won't arrive late.

Turntable ladder

ladder.jpg

The turntable ladder is introduced about 5 missions into the game. You don't get to drive it, but it will normally arrive at the scene shortly after you do. If you're playing a mission that requires the turntable ladder, then you'll find the fire engine will only have two firemen in it while the other two travel in the turntable ladder.

Ambulance

ambulance.jpg

The ambulance arrives in almost every mission once the commanding officer has called for one. The paramedics take away anyone involved in an accident for hospital treatment - simple really.

Fire chief's car

captain.jpg

The fire chief's car carries the fire chief... as you'd expect. The fire chief is the fifth fireman that you can control ingame, but he doesn't help the four firemen with their job. The fire chief carries a radio that allows him to call control when you're on scene, call for an ambulance or for a fire boat.

Fire boat

boat.jpg

The fire boat is only featured in the last mission and cannot be interacted with in any way. You can see the fire boat in the last mission, and it does extinguish a fire, but that's about it.

The missions

Missions are quite well varied and kept realistic - there's no dramatic events that happen half way through like in EM4. The missions are:

Training: Driving

Training: Vehicle rescue

Training: fire fighting

Small house fire

Autobahn accident

Car fire at gas station

Accident in tunnel starts fire

Train vs car results in fire, injury and gas leak

Training: Ariel ladder

Pipeline fire at warehouses

Cargo ship fire

Gameplay and impressions

There's a lot that is wrong with this game - mostly bugs. The fire engine appears to jump back and forward as you drive, the siren is poorly looped and firemen don't hold equipment (it just hovers next to their hand).

training2.jpg

example: The Feuerwehrmanns are magical!

There are less obvious glitches also, such as the fire engine siren sounding for a split second while you choose the pressure level for the hoses, or if you have the Ariel ladder deployed, it can move forward an inch if you turn the commander's radio on and off. It soon becomes apparent that the game is bug ridden and much could've been improved.

training3.jpg

covering a gas spill - now hands free!

For example, textures. They're very basic and lack detail. Here's an example:

autobahn1.jpg

The road is a sort of uniformed grey and there's no grass, just a green ground. No shadows, no dynamic lighting, and the lights on the fire engine don't change colour when they're on - it's just a flash that appears above the light (can't see it in the screenshot).

autobahn3.jpg

radioing dispatch for an ambulance.

So there's a lot that's wrong with the game, does that make it bad? Far from it! This is a great game that tries to stick to accuracy as much as possible, and it succeeds well. There are some things that don't seem very accurate, like the fire hose doesn't extend very far before you need another one (that might be accurate, not sure) and firemen don't do anything until you control them - but that happened in EM4 and it was still a great game.

training1.jpg

Here's a good example - Stabilisers for the car have to be in place before you cut the roof and door off. Many times I have forgotten this and spent ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't let me cut the victim out. Another feature is limited water on board the fire engine. This can be resolved by connecting the water supply to a fire hydrant - not forgetting to turn the hydrant on of course.

autobahn8.jpg

Lots of hoses will be scattered around during a fire - just like in real life

training4.jpg

The hoses connected to the rear of the engine - the middle one labelled "2" has two hoses connect that head off to a hydrant.

So. The big question: Is it worth buying? Well, that depends on you.

Are you the sort of person who moans that EM2012 graphics need to be much better because they're similar to EM4? Are you the sort who buys every generic shooter going just because it has better graphics? If you are, then you should probably steer clear of this game.

Or are you the person who can sacrifice graphics for a different style of game play? Then this game could be for you.

Although the game comes from a big-ish company, it is almost like an indie game. It's micro-management, like in EM4, but you get direct control over units. I find it good fun, and the glitches are hardly annoying or prevent you from playing. The only complaints I have is that there's not enough missions and no modding possibilities.

So if you can put up with bugs, a foreign language and basic graphics, then you might want to consider this.

some things I forgot to mention:

1) All firemen (minus fire chief) can equip the helmet and breathing apparatus. However, it's only the first fireman that can set the levels on the apparatus.

2) All tasks have a certain time limit, visible in the bottom right (green is good, yellow is about half way through and red means you're almost out of time). However, the game gives you plenty of time to achieve the tasks.

sorry if the quality/size seems strange - prtSc and alt-tabbing doesn't go down well with the game so I used Fraps.