szron

EMS Surgeon

In one of Third Watch episodes there was a FDNY EMS Filed Surgeon that wanted to amputate leg in field. Does that really exist? Have anyone a picture of his viehicle?

Regards

I don't think field surgeons actually exist. Here they are trauma surgeons who work at a hospital or at a rescue helicopter and are flown in if they are needed. In some cases the also use army medics/surgeons (if the accident is close to a military hospital).

A "emergency amputation" does exist!

Even though it is quite rare, this sometimes happens, at least here in Germany, where we have Doctors at the EMS.

If you can not move the patient, because his leg is trapped inside a machine, or other aspects indicate an amputation, this can be done right at the incident scene.

Haha I was watching that episode the day before yesterday :P Do you mean the episode when someone's legs are trapped in a machine and his wife is Spanish and speaks with the Spanish EMT in Spanish? And there is also a Jew with his hat there?

Yes. Great episode. xD

A "emergency amputation" does exist!

Even though it is quite rare, this sometimes happens, at least here in Germany, where we have Doctors at the EMS.

I wasn't saying emergency surgery doesn't exist, just emergency surgeons with an own vehicle who are on call 24/7 (like the ambulance service). They are just normal surgeons who work at a hospital and are flown in when needed.