Emergency medical services in your country

I don't live in China like I used to but here's their ems system:

The objective of this article is to identify and describe Chinese emergency medical services (EMS) components. Chinese EMS system development began in the 1980s with "importing" of EMS principles from other systems. China is now attempting to unify these principles. Chinese EMS systems are absent in most rural areas. Urban ambulance dispatch or "rescue" centers provide both transport and inpatient care. Ambulances are staffed with either a physician or a driver. There is not extensive overlap between hospital emergency physicians and ambulance physicians and no out-of-hospital providers at the paramedic or emergency medical technician level exist. Access to EMS is accomplished by dialing 1-2-0. Emergency calls go directly to the rescue center and a physician is dispatched. No on-line radio communication between hospitals and ambulances typically takes place. China has assimilated both traditional and unique EMS components and is undergoing development. It remains unclear whether a systematized EMS structure will emerge.

In the UK, our primary medical service is the NHS - National Health Service. Introduced after the second World War, the idea was that the NHS would help anyone that needed care from the cradle to the grave. The NHS was to be free at point of use, and paid for through taxes.

However, there was such an overwhelming usage after the scheme was introduced that certain things had to require the person to pay for them. Most notably glasses and.... certain perscribed drugs, I think (e.g asthma inhalers).

Despite what a lot of people and the media says, the NHS is a really good service, but it really needs an overhaul with it's managers and more backing from the ministers (haha, yeah right).

There's still private hospitals too, like BUPA.

NHS ambulances tend to be either yellow or white, with a yellow and green checks (forgot the real name)

There's also emergency ambulances/fast response vehicles, which are basically similar to the EMS car in L.A mod.

You also get doctor vehicles. I noticed this differs from place to place. They tend to be marked vehicles with either a blue or green light, like this:

dsc02598.jpg

But we also have unmarked vehicles with just a single green light. As far as I know, the unmarked vehicles are simply the vehicles of doctors and have no siren, but they can still respond to an emergency.

We also have volunteer emergency ambulances - The British Red Cross and St. John Ambulance. If you ever go to an event in the UK and see medical personnel, then the chances are they are from St. John Ambulance.

Wikipedia: St. John Ambulance

Wikipedia: British Red Cross

Doctors cars are only allowed Green lights and this does not give them anything like the passage blues and twos does. Green lights inform other road users that the person on board is a doctor on an emergency and it is up to the road user whether they wish to pull over or continue as they are, it is an obligation rather than an instruction.

Doctors cras are normally 'unmarked' because they are the doctors own vehicle who temporarily adds the light for the call out (my friend's mum is a doctor and she has a magnetic green in the glove box!!!!) It is totally up to the doctor if they wish to livery their own car or even have a light at all. Occassionally, the doctors surgery will have their own out of ours car that they are insured to drivem, which may well be fully liveried with a light bar.

The emergencies they attend are also urgent but very rarely life threatening. they do not attend full emergencies like RTC's, house fires etc.

I hope that sheds some (green) light on the topic.

The OC-D

In the UK, our primary medical service is the NHS - National Health Service. Introduced after the second World War, the idea was that the NHS would help anyone that needed care from the cradle to the grave. The NHS was to be free at point of use, and paid for through taxes.

However, there was such an overwhelming usage after the scheme was introduced that certain things had to require the person to pay for them. Most notably glasses and.... certain perscribed drugs, I think (e.g asthma inhalers).

Despite what a lot of people and the media says, the NHS is a really good service, but it really needs an overhaul with it's managers and more backing from the ministers (haha, yeah right).

There's still private hospitals too, like BUPA.

NHS ambulances tend to be either yellow or white, with a yellow and green checks (forgot the real name)

There's also emergency ambulances/fast response vehicles, which are basically similar to the EMS car in L.A mod.

You also get doctor vehicles. I noticed this differs from place to place. They tend to be marked vehicles with either a blue or green light, like this:

But we also have unmarked vehicles with just a single green light. As far as I know, the unmarked vehicles are simply the vehicles of doctors and have no siren, but they can still respond to an emergency.

We also have volunteer emergency ambulances - The British Red Cross and St. John Ambulance. If you ever go to an event in the UK and see medical personnel, then the chances are they are from St. John Ambulance.

Wikipedia: St. John Ambulance

Wikipedia: British Red Cross

I thought st John ambulance was only in Hong Kong :1046276128_motz:

In my city, we have I think at any given time 14 ambulances on call, just from the EHS. Which is the health board for this part of the province. There is also 2 or 3 medical transport units that the fire department owns, as well as a few red cross, and St. John's Ambulance ambulances. If all those units are in use (which has yet to happen) and no other units from the city can be called upon, then one of the many ambulances from out of town that are doing transports to the health science centre will be called on.

Calls usually will be handled by the EHS Ambulances, unless it's a fire call, then the fire dept may handle it, or if the fire department has a team closer than an EHS ambulance.

In the event of a large emergency, such as a plane crash, half to three-quarters of the EHS ambulances will be called to the scene to assist with transport, leaving the rest available for 911 calls. Along with these units, the fire department will send one or two transport units, as well as a few apparatus even if there is ARFF on scene. If needed, St John Ambulance, and Red Cross will also respond to the scene to transport. At this time, it's take the RED off scene as soon as they are cleared, get them to a hospital, clean the ambulance, then return, until all injured are treated.

ARFF does not have any ambulances in use as of now, and there are no private ambulance services in this city, however many outside of the city, where they hospital only owns 1 or 2 ambulances, and the fire department is full volunteer.

Doctors to my knowledge do not respond in POVs in the city, however to my knowledge, if they were required to respond, then either green lights or blue lights could be used, as blue lights are free to use on any vehicle here, and green lights are reserved for EMS POVs.

Well we have a lot of Ambo's run by the county Ems, which respond to all emergency calls in the county. We have over 400 active staff. The EMS covers approximately 1100 square miles and serves a population of 998,543.

pretty big BTW all are Ambulances are ALS, the Fd also has 2 ambulances on standby in case there is a big emergency.

China's ambulances are slow to rescue because they can't give citations to those who don't give way.

neither can our ambulances, and they have lights and sirens.... do you really think someone in an AMBULANCE on the way to rescue someone, will take the time to get out and write the drivers who aren't getting out of the way a ticket? C'mon man... be at least A LITTLE real here.

neither can our ambulances, and they have lights and sirens.... do you really think someone in an AMBULANCE on the way to rescue someone, will take the time to get out and write the drivers who aren't getting out of the way a ticket? C'mon man... be at least A LITTLE real here.

At least here if you don't yield for an ambulance, they can get your plate number and the police will give you a ticket for failure to yield for an emergency vehicle.

At least here if you don't yield for an ambulance, they can get your plate number and the police will give you a ticket for failure to yield for an emergency vehicle.

LOL they hardly ever do that.... you guys on here have quite the imaginations...