Guest nicke157

Create a new map

Guest nicke157

Hello. I am from Sweden and want to create a new freeplay map.

I know so far that I can only place objects in the editor. But how do I then create a terrain with textures? Photoshop?

You require a decent photo/texture editor (psp, photoshop, even gimp can do it barely)... a map of 8192x8192 fits exactly on that size in the boundaries. Save file as TGA to import the file into the game.. Doing these textures takes a great deal of resources so if you have a computer with very limited processor and ram I suggest you do not attempt to do this unless you have extremely high patience.

good luck.

Under 2GB you're pushing your luck, especially with the ill-fated vista, that will cost you one gig off the bat.... Generally I'd suggest you have 2-3 gigs free to do this operation, these map files for a single layer come in over 200 mb in proper format... so imagine how much pressure that puts on your computer. If you use layers and edit a great deal at once it quickly consumes resources for the temporary backups so you can UNDO actions, etc.... Generally if you are patient you can do it with under the 2 gigs available but it gets extremely frustrating fast as more crap gets added.... Welcome to the world of modding without a great deal of memory for extremely consuming things you can easilly burn through the memory then it just moves slower than a snail....

I have NEVER ran out of memory to the point of crashing an application (yet). One project I did had a grille on it that was 50,000 polygons=) I wasnt paying attention and just overdid it for a diff game, and yeah that effectively killed my computer...

How much memory do you need for this?

As much as possible, because it totally depends on the amount of layers.

A single 8192x8192 image is not a problem until you add dozens of layers for editing.

The ground texture for the new map I am creating is almost 500 MB (.psd file) now.

I have 3,3 GB RAM and I am still able to make changes to that file without 'lag'.

Until I start the Emergency 4 editor (for example) as well...

If you don't have ANY modding experience, DO NOT create a new map. It's not just placing objects.

Without Photoshop experience you can't even create a nice ground texture for it.

Guest nicke157

OKey. Thanks. And yes, my computer should probably cope with this.

Processor: Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

Memory: 4x512Mb (2048MB)

Hard Drive: 160Gb+320GB

Video Card: Gainward nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

Operating System: Windows Xp

Motherboard: MSI Neo5

How can I know how large an area I should do in the texture for a building on a place in Photoshop?

Guest nicke157

I have created a test map (just black coloured to test) and saved in .tga format. But then I import into the editor it just says "Could not load the texture".