festival

Physics and bodies in editor

Hi guys,

I put this here as i think it is nto specifically about the la mod, although it is what i am using, i believe its applicable to non la modding too.

I wanted to play around and do something with the editor so i decided on making a seperate LAPD officer as a Supervisor.

I followed the vehicle tutorial that is posted up here and obviously changed a little in order to fit with a person as opposed to vehicle. And from what i can see i have followed it appropriately.

I can get as far as calling the unit in the SUV out and exiting him from the vehicle but when i click on him the game crashes. everytime.

I believe it may be something to do with the physics. As you can see in the pics below, the normal officer had red boxes around him and Bodies listed below whereas my modded guy doesnt. Can anyone tell me how to fix this (if this is the problem) as i have drawn a blank.

As a sidenote, this is just a messaround personal modification for myself.

What sets this supervisor apart from the rest of the police personnel(just curious)?

I dunno if the boxes are the issue or not, but try the clone function from the LAPD officer and see if you can carry them over to your supervisor. I could be wrong, but I think that may only be one of your issues. I am new to modding but just trying to help. :)

Also, hit F1, go to person tab at the top and 01 LA Police in the list. Then find your supervisor. Then click edit. Copy and paste that screen too as it may be useful.

thanks for the replies, ill do the ss when i get back from work.

just to be clear, i havnt really done anything except added 3 gold stripes to the officers arm and renamed him to a supervisor, so this is still the basic lapd officer from the mod.

I doubt this would be a submod, due to the fact that its purpose would only be for the sake of having a police supervisor, i dont think it really adds anything to the game other than asthetic and possibly part-realism.

i believe i have already copied the prototype so i dont see thatll help, but i also think i may start again as i have learnt, obviously, since i started meddling!

the only thing i can really make it stand out from the other units is to have it be able to call more of a choice of other emergency vehicles (like the fire chief and i believe ems supervisor does although i havnt tried the ems one). i was wondering if you could make it so you had to use the supervisor to be able to call the FBI, which would make sense to me for him to do but i dont know if thatd work ingame yet.

Hmm I dont think you could make him call FBI with out the FBI unit being bale to be purchased, but its a good idea. Perhaps instead of FBI you could do SWAT. Have the supervisor be able to dispatch swat to the scene. That would be more realistic, then have a SWAT supervisor who could call FBI, then an FBI Supervisor who could call SS. It would require a bit of scripting but I think all the code you need is already written by Hoopah it would just need a slight make over. I may attempt such a feet although I dont think it would be of much practical use since nothing gets THAT out of hand in the game that would warrant PD and/or SD plus SWAT and FBI And SS.

Did anyone have a solution to the crashing? I am trying a new model+skin for something else.

Edit: It had something to do with the model path this time.

In the editor, it showed up as a box. So i went into edit and set the proper path to the model, and now the model is in but is white (blank). Am now lost again.

2nd edit: i rolled back to when i could see it in th editor, so skin etc is fine now, cant see what i did wrong but all i can guess is that it was something to do with renaming the guy in the numerous txt files.

Still crashes when i click on the vehicle to deploy it

from the vehicle tutorial ( http://www.emergency-planet.com/index.php?...0&Itemid=35

5. You need to make sure the texture files are linked to their model files, otherwise each model is missing their textures.

6. Open each model file (.V3O) with WordPad and look for the texture name. Change it to your new texture name and save the file.

that was probably the problem for the textures, i didnt think to check they were still associated

ahhh no you have to add the boxes to the person so he has physics. in any normal game, it should crash if any object with no physics enters the game. you could also try setting it to 'use own physics' or whatever and i think it like uses the mesh to calculate physics

Thanks for the reply.

What i have been doing is retexturing personel and vehicles to my liking, for personal use i might add, i have no intention of 'stealing' anyones work.

I altered LA Mods FBI w/tac vest to be more like a UK police constable, altered LA Motorcylcle officer to be more like public order officers and Territorial Support Group officers, also edited the vans in the england mod to be more to my taste.

Public order officers asemble before attending a protest, area officers provide vehicle redirection

Public order officers in line formation at protest with vans

TSG officers surverying scene, vans and Public Order Incident Support Unit vans on scene. Have window grill on front of van but is just on texture, zmodeler being funny but will add grill as mesh when i can.

References

As hoppahs swat officers are able to use shields i guess its possible to equip officers with Public Order shields too.