N.Scaringella

Modding unit voices

Hi all

My name's Niccolò Scaringella, from Venice, and I like Emergency 4 modding as Arma 3 modding, and why not, Battlefield 2 modding, and also Medal Of Honor, Men Of War and every moddable game exsists

Actually I'm working on an Italian complete translation of the great USSR Mod by EmC-Unit but I would like to put some authentic Russian voices I have recorded, just to hear how they sound

Unfortunately I can not found were vanilla voices are Not even how to mod them

Please, if someone of you has already encountered this problem, help me

Thankyou

Yes, I know that folder, however there are audioscreams sounds (like "flee01.wav" or "shot01.wav"), and their programming is in the audioscreams.xml file inside Specs folder.

I'm looking instead for the audiocommands sounds, which are mentioned in the audiocommands.xml file still inside Specs folder.

These files may look like "COMMAND_14.wav" or "COMMAND_09.wav" and in the Los Angeles Mod are inside the folder you say, but not in the vanilla directory; so I don't know how to add custom voices to units.

In vanila Em4? They are in Data\Lang\de\Audio\FX\voices. You mentioned you were doing this for an Em4 mod, so I assumed you were going with the modded paths.

It will differ on what version you have. de is for the german versions (most common), fr for french, it for italian. Inside contain the various speeches for the playable units. The deluxe version (only in german) also has voices for the broken voice activation feature in that version of the game. The LA mod ones seem to be in the audio/fx section for some reason but the game still recognizes them.

• Upvote 1

There? Great! Thankyou! I never thought they were there!

So if I recreate the same folder with files with the same names in the Lang\it\Audio\FX\voices mod directory, when activated, files from this folder will override vanilla ones! Right? And units will use these voices!

should work. if you encounter problems, post about it and we can try to sort it out. good luck getting the recording, speech and translation process going.

if you ever need IT language or speech files, i believe that the IT version of em4 had them.

interestingly, em4 has a bug where the children peds dont make any sounds or voices. something to do with the audio folder paths being broken probably.

• Upvote 1

Thankyou very much for the support! I have just done an advance: I have noticed that these voices, in order to work, must be placed in the Mod\Audio\FX\Voices directory instead of the one where vanilla voices are (Lang\it\Audio\Voices).

Actually game recognizes my new voices, but it is unable to reproduce them, maybe because mine ones are of a different Kbps speed. I will take a look at them with my old good Sound Forge and I will keep you update!

Maybe authors of the USSR Mod are interested in these voices! Until that I will use them for personal use only with my friends.

Thankyou again!

Edit two hours later:

Changed audio frequency to 22050 Hz with Sound Forge and now everything works fine! New voices are very Russians! And I will try to find an actor in order to record the rest of game dialogs. When ready I will propose this material to the USSR Mod author.