Nexus8765

Suggestion on how to start modding

So im not sure if this would fit in this category, but i want to get into the modding of EM4, i understand i need pain.net and stuff for skins, but other then that i'm not really sure of what i need to start modding. So if any one could point me towards applications i need and tutorials it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

The same way most people making American theme mods did, by reskinning LA. Paint.net works very well for this purpose. It wont cut it though in the long run, simply making the same models and reskins over again.

The next step of progression would be to make your own vehicles. This skillset has its own sub-levels:

• Taking an existing vehicle and replacing/adding parts to suit your needs
  • Taking a 'base' civilian vehicle with no emergency equipment and a blank skin, then adding all the parts. This is kinda like how real vehicles are outfitted IRL
  • Creating a totally custom vehicle model from scratch in Zmodeler

9 hours ago, itchboy said:

The same way most people making American theme mods did, by reskinning LA. Paint.net works very well for this purpose. It wont cut it though in the long run, simply making the same models and reskins over again.

The next step of progression would be to make your own vehicles. This skillset has its own sub-levels:

• Taking an existing vehicle and replacing/adding parts to suit your needs
  • Taking a 'base' civilian vehicle with no emergency equipment and a blank skin, then adding all the parts. This is kinda like how real vehicles are outfitted IRL
  • Creating a totally custom vehicle model from scratch in Zmodeler

Thanks for the info! So at what point would you recommend moving onto making a vehicle? Do i start when i think i'm ready?

23 minutes ago, Nexus8765 said:

Thanks for the info! So at what point would you recommend moving onto making a vehicle? Do i start when i think i'm ready?

Well I would suggest you do what I am doing right now.

Buy zmodeler (or get trial version if you want to play about but not import or export) it costs $22 for Zmodelr 2.

Use DOCS section on the Zmodelr 2/3 website and follow through all the beginner tutorials learning how aspects work, then do the car building under beginner section then onto advanced where you finish the car and do UV mapping and extras.

EDIT:

I bought 2 as it's cheaper and enough for me. I also find it has great tutorials and documentation covering all the very basics and the making of cars in great detail under the DOCS section on the Zmod2 site.

55 minutes ago, TWMCPE said:

Well I would suggest you do what I am doing right now.

Buy zmodeler (or get trial version if you want to play about but not import or export) it costs $22 for Zmodelr 2.

Use DOCS section on the Zmodelr 2/3 website and follow through all the beginner tutorials learning how aspects work, then do the car building under beginner section then onto advanced where you finish the car and do UV mapping and extras.

EDIT:

I bought 2 as it's cheaper and enough for me. I also find it has great tutorials and documentation covering all the very basics and the making of cars in great detail under the DOCS section on the Zmod2 site.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Now i have a problem as i cant open some of the .dds files on paint.net, i can open some just fine. The ones i can't open the icon is white and the ones i can open the icon is the texture.

It kind of spits this at me when i click show details (this is on the LA mod)

System.FormatException: File does not appear to be a DDS image
   at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFile.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFile.cs:line 469
   at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFileType.cs:line 225
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

9 hours ago, Nexus8765 said:

That sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Now i have a problem as i cant open some of the .dds files on paint.net, i can open some just fine. The ones i can't open the icon is white and the ones i can open the icon is the texture.

It kind of spits this at me when i click show details (this is on the LA mod)

System.FormatException: File does not appear to be a DDS image
   at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFile.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFile.cs:line 469
   at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFileType.cs:line 225
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

That's weird. Are you opening Paint.net as administrator?

Also, try opening the dds files of another mod or the original game as it could be a problem with that mod somehow.