Lisa Rose

DDS To PNG

Hey everyone i have been having an error lately, i try to edit textures of models etc in paint.net or any editing program really and i always get an error saying file unrecognizable or just error unknown file type. All my textures used to be PNG but now they're DDS for some reason and very few of them can open.. does anyone have any suggestions? :) thanks 

post-59796-0-59242400-1428674126_thumb.p

numerous files in the L.A mod, things like the firefighters uniform skins etc :) very few things actually open and im pretty sure i remember being to open them in the past.

OH! OH!

Yes. The .dds files for LA mod are locked. In order to edit them, you might want to download this pack:

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/files/file/544-los-angeles-mod-v21-unpacked-textures/

This contains all the textures. Say you want to edit a firefighter, find it in there. Then you can either just replace the actual LA Mod file with the unlocked textures or replace them all

Yes. The .dds files for LA mod are locked. 

They're not "locked" in the true sense of the word. They are simply compressed (GZipped) to lower their file size. In order to open those files they have to be decompressed using the editor's "Unpack" option. Unfortunately the "Pack/Unpack" tool in the editor only recognizes .v3o files so you would have to change the extension of your .dds file to a .v3o, unpack it in the editor, then change it back to a .dds. It's quite a cumbersome process and I give major props to the person who unpacked every single texture.

They're not "locked" in the true sense of the word. They are simply compressed (GZipped) to lower their file size. In order to open those files they have to be decompressed using the editor's "Unpack" option. Unfortunately the "Pack/Unpack" tool in the editor only recognizes .v3o files so you would have to change the extension of your .dds file to a .v3o, unpack it in the editor, then change it back to a .dds. It's quite a cumbersome process and I give major props to the person who unpacked every single texture.

Some additional info. The 'pack' function corrupts models that are greater than 500kb. This is a warning to anyone locking large .v3o files.

In fact, packing files no longer serves a purpose. It actually makes mod loading times longer because the game has to unpack these files to read them.

It could be used as a theft deterrent to custom scratch made models or as a form of copy protection just because its so cumbersome and tiring to lock every model and texture file like the LA Mod.

Some additional info. The 'pack' function corrupts models that are greater than 500kb. This is a warning to anyone locking large .v3o files.

In fact, packing files no longer serves a purpose. It actually makes mod loading times longer because the game has to unpack these files to read them.

Well the game makers decided to use gzip with a non-standard (custom) header. While gzip should work on a file of any size, I bet the problem with larger v3o files is with this custom header.

As with anything its a trade off. Loading Time vs File Size. The increase in loading time (for someone with a relatively strong computer) is minimal, but the file size savings are significant. I do agree however that it's really no longer needed. With internet speeds being what they are today, the few MBs you'll save on the mod size only add a few seconds to the download.

Well yes, but on a practical level they are locked