Fred03

Ferguson

It's a very hard topic and I was curious to see when someone would post about it, but to be frank I think in general not talking about the shooting, police forces tend to have very militarized responses to riots that end up escalating the situation. While I do recognize that police face many more unpredictable and dangerous hazards when dealing with large crowds, sometimes its better to acknowledge the fact that you are there to keep the peace and ensure everyone's safety. I personally believe it was a brilliant call by the governor to appoint the state police captain to security because under his leadership, he wants to stress the point that the officers are people too, not just some man behind a mask and badge with a gun and handcuffs. The situation is still dangerous however hopefully in the next couple of days the anger will disperse a bit more and the investigation will be swift and just. 

I want to believe that the police are in the right and support their actions but the fact of the matter is a police officer shot and killed an unarmed man. Anytime this happens there is going to be criticism and outrage over the actions that officer took. But we may never know what really happened in this case because we only have one side of the story and that is the officer's. Now we do have a witness but eyewitness testimony is incredibly unreliable and the witness is the friend of the victim so that makes him impartial to the victim. If that officer was truly in a fight for control of his weapon then i support his decision to use deadly force. Now there has been conflicting information about how the victim was shot so we may never know the whole story. 

As for the actions of the officers in the aftermath and the riots yes they did some bad things and probably violated the rights of citizens, but you have to put yourself in their position. A whole community basically hates you right now and are angry and possibly violent. There has already been one incident involving a citizen pointing a weapon at an officer. These officers are under alot of stress and pressure to keep public order and also ensure the safety of the community their fellow officers and themselves. 

That being said bringing in an outside agency is the best decision because they will be impartial and the community wont associate them with the incident and will hopefully understand that they are just doing their job just like we all do. This situation needs to be handled very delicately we don't want this to spiral out of control and turn into the Rodney King riots. There has already been enough damage to people and property. I just hope that the community will calm down and let the government do their job.  

On a final note, i believe that Law Enforcement as a whole in the United States has become way too trigger happy, they shoot first and consider their decision later. I hope this incident will bring change to policy and will hopefully bring awareness to this issue that has cost many unnecessary lives. 

As a police officer, I always tend to be on the officer's side. However, I don't think I am right now in this case. Shooting and unarmed man? Well, can be justified in some rare cases such as very strong and aggressive individual but in the most cases, shooting an unarmed man is only the start for riots, trials and problems. 

Considering the seriousness of riots in Ferguson and St. Louis, I don't think that this has something with the shooting we are talking about. People only want to rob something for themselves, have an advantage from this sad situation. Police failed in suppressing of riots. I am not saying that they should be more violent, I am saying that they should speak with them more. They failed and this is the result. 

In conclusion, I want to say that we don't know how that sad shooting happened. What we only know is that one Afroamerican boy is dead. Maybe he was being aggressive, didn't obey officers orders? What we know.. Investigation of the shooting will hopefully bring breaking news which will end this bloody nonsence riots. I don't want to read about more injured or even dead/shot people. 

I do agree with Topfuzz about that trigger happy thing. He is fully correct. Law enforcement agencies started thinking that they are not responsible for unauthorized shootings. Frankly, what can we say, courts had proven the same. I don't recall one single case when officer was punished for unauthorized shooting. When officers will be aware about the possibility going to prison if unauthorized shooting happens, so nothing like that won't happen again. I want to hear the conclusion of that investigating task force. 

I haven't actually heard of the Ferguson militarization, having only just looked now, I'm shocked.

I think I agree with the local government's decision, in a time where civil unrest is at a high, big, uncontrolled riots spread across a wide expanse, arming LEOs with heavy weaponry can be a good idea, setting an idea of oppression and control into the system.

A point I need to make is that the media seems to be portraying Ferguson as a small town, it isn't a small town, its basically St. Louis. St. Louis is made up of a bunch of towns like Ferguson which would basically be considered no more than neighborhoods. I've been through Ferguson, its indistinguishable from the urban sprawl of St. Louis around it.

In light of all the new information that has been released im leaning more towards the side of the officer. We now know the victim was not as innocent as he was portrayed to be and had committed a crime before his death his friend even admitted it. And hes pretty big guy too so if the officer was in a struggle over his weapon then he could be at a disadvantage and the officer may well have been in fear for his life.

Furthermore the officer in question has been in Law Enforcement for 6 years and has no record of disciplinary action, i don't think he did this maliciously and in fact feared for his life. Now apparently the officer didn't stop the victim because he was suspected in the earlier crime but because they were walking in the street. So how could this have possibly escalated into a deadly force incident, unless something happened such as the victim attacking the officer or vice versus. 

I do feel bad for the victim and his family but i think there is more to the story then the media is spinning to us the police don't just shoot citizens armed or unarmed for no reason. There has to be an articulated threat but you cant legally define that only how a reasonable person in that same situation would react. 

I just think its interesting how one incident out of so many can captivate an entire community and then spread like wildfire throughout the nation and the world. 

I agree with EM4life.  The best thing to do is sit back and wait for the investigation.  Speculation and "if"ing the situation makes it worse.

I will say this.  I've been a law enforcement officer for 5 years in the south, and my beat was much like the neighborhood that the incident occurred in.  I completely sympathize with the officer.  It's a bad situation all the way around and all I can say is that I hope he has a good lawyer.  A few things that I've noticed have pissed me off.  I don't agree with them releasing the officer's name.  Yes, it is public information, but that officer's life is in serious jeopardy now.  I hope they at least assigned a good protective detail for him.  Some media outlets putting a racial spin on this is completely outrageous.  The same goes for the ignorant asses in that gang infested neighborhood that are feeling "oppressed" by the white police.  That is just STUPID!  No one will understand unless you spend one minute in the police officers' shoes that have to work housing projects that often get over ran with gang activity and ideology. 

As for the militarization of the police force......I'm just going to say this.  There is a war in the US.  It's the police force vs gangs.  Police officers down here often find themselves out numbered and out gunned.  Equipment such as high powered rifles, armored vehicles, and heavy armor for officers is meant for high risk situations.......violent protest being one of them.  People have the right to protest peacefully. However, it's the officer's job to ensure public safety and they react to what situation is thrown at them.  Anyways, I could preach all day but like EM4life said, it's better if we just wait for the investigation to complete and go from there.

According to a new information, the suspect stole some stuff and when I saw the video and his size. Well, I am not sure if taser would be effective here. I experienced that taser was useless against really big and fat guys. I am starting to be on officer's side right now. If that huge guy attacked me, I am not sure I would be able to take him down with taser or my hands. Will wait for FBI's conclusion.

I don't agree with them releasing the officer's name. Yes, it is public information, but that officer's life is in serious jeopardy now. I hope they at least assigned a good protective detail for him.

I read some rumors that US Marshal Service could provide him protective services. However I don't think it will be necessary.

Please use the EDIT button in future.

I read some rumors that US Marshal Service could provide him protective services. However I don't think it will be necessary.

I would hope he has major protection, considering the number of people yelling to kill cops. Some are going to do more than yell before long.

People like to run their mouths.. People like to incite violence.. People don't like being held responsible for actions, so I doubt many will be lining up to full on war the cops there... The sad fact of this world in general, the more shocking and intense a situation can be made, the more you can't turn your head away from it.. The media realizes this.  The media is not a noble "truth" serving industry, it has nothing to do with the people and their right to know.  Media is owned by for-profit corporations that intend to make money, the way to do this is ad revenue.  Keeping your eyes glued to the screen through speculation and inciting reactions (mostly visceral in nature) is their industry today.  Anyone who watches the news, whatever the source must bear this in mind and accept that what you hear is generally not totally on the up and up, but inflamed explicitly to make you react (but not change the channel/close the browser/etc)... As to what led the cop to do what he did? lord knows, only he knows why the situation degraded to such to necessitate firing upon an unarmed subject.  The other party involved can only help to solve that mystery in a seance...  Such is life when someone dies, I can't say that I feel bad/good towards either party in this situation, because honestly I've become numb to these types of incidents that always have someone receiving culpability but really both parties usually hold equal fault in the end result.