timmiej93

A little note about editing your previous post

Hey guys,

Just a little thing that has been bugging me, not just on this forum, but on pretty much every forum out there.

I do understand why there's a rule against double posting, it can be annoying and it can be abused. But there's a problem with editing your last post: Nobody will know you edited it, until they open the actual topic. No notification, no fat text on the Subforum page, nothing. This can seriously impair the amount of help you can get, since people could think: I've read that, it said he got it working. But what if the post is edited 24 hrs later, saying another error popped up, with the same cause. Almost nobody will know, since they don't get notified. 

I know I'm not the person to say much about it, but I think it'd be a great addition to the forum if editing a post would mark a topic as unread as well, or something along that line. In my opinion it would help a lot.

I'd love to hear your opinions about this.

Tim

PS. I'm sorry if this is not the right place for such a post, it seemed the most fitting to me.

Editing a post is not the same as posting, so it will not "bump" a thread by simply editing the post.. This has to do with the forum framework we and most other sites use, it is what it is.... Not much we can do about that. The rule against double posting is to prevent a user from needlessly "bumping" their topics/threads constantly.  Simple fact of it is alot of people out there will post something, ehh say half a day later post something else (still not enough to help fix their issue) but expecting that bumping their topic will garner them assistance... Best bet for someone asking for help is to put in every single bit of information they can regarding the issue, and hope someone wants to take the time to help them fix it.  When it comes to double posting with regards to modifications, we give lee way to double post for updates and such, but when it comes to just double posting for bumping purposes is when we get angered.... 

In summary when you post a topic be as specific and clear about your issue as possible, and hope someone takes the time to assist you with your issues... Most people who double post are simply trying to keep "bumping" their thread up the line when the sad reality is sometimes people either can't help or just don't want to take the time to do it... Editing and marking as unread wouldnt really change these facts.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.