topfuzz

White Model of Death!

Hello

I'm trying to skin again and i have edited the texture of the coroners van from the montana mod it was already in png. I just replaced the original file with mine but im getting the white or black model of death and im not sure why ive unlocked the files edited the files to point to the png but its still not showing up. Can someone please help me.

Unpack your V3O files and put in the new name of the texture. F.E.: when you open the V3O files (with your notepad) you'll eventually see something like coroners_van.dds. Edit the "dds" and replace it by "png". Do this in all of the the coroners van models (doors and wheels) and it should probably work.

Here's a more detailed tutorial: http://forum.emergency-planet.com/tutorials/article/33-avoiding-the-white-model-of-death/

Okay ive watched that video like 10 times and its still not working the thing is the files werent in dds to begin with so they already had png. So i thought i could just replace the texture file with mine but its not showing up. 

You can just replace the texture so long as it has EXACTLY same layout, name and file extension as the original without changing the .v3o

LAST RESORT

If all else fails maybe we can see the problem with the files

Upload

1 the original skin you are attempting to replace

2. your new skin

3. the v3o.

No problem that does happen. Just make sure in the future you keep the dimensions proportional to what they originally were. They can be scaled but unless you want to remap the entire model don't change the relation.

Example

512x512 -> 1024x1024 ok

512x512 -> 256x256 ok

1024x512 -> 2048x512 ok

512x512 -> 1024x768 NOT OK

1024x512 -> 1024x1024 NOT OK

I have another question im trying to make a new animal control unit using the coroners van. I made a copy of all the files and everything is working in the editor but i cant get the unit to show up in the units menu. I followed the tutorial that hoppah made basically just copying another unit and changing the name but its not showing up.