poole3003

modding from scratch

The best piece of advice I can give you is to......read the forums. There is tons, and tons of information on how to do it. Have questions regarding modding? More than likely someone else has had your same questions, and there are probably forums conversations out there on it. So my advice is, you say you have a lot of time on hand, spend a day digging through the forum, and I mean dig cause you will find a lot of useful tips, tricks, and information. Again, no one is going to build a modification for you, but that being said we all like to help around here but you need to start doing some independent research. Areas such as tutorials, and modding relating support, and even browsing through some of the modifications topics can help you out. I will however give you this link, you should start here.

The best and most useful advice from my side:

Gibbs' rules on (EM4) modding:

1) Invest time, so quit school

2) Start simple otherwise you will not understand modding, they don't teach you advanced mathematics in kindergarten for the same underlying reason

3) Get motivated and remain motivated, even when everything else fails.

4) Trial and error is more rewarding than you think

and finally

5) Discipline, consider joing the military if you lack discipline

6) Consider other members on this forum your partners and NOT your competitors. You can help each other out. If you lack teamwork, read rule no. 5

7) Listen to me and especially MikeyPI, we like to swing the banhammer. In other words, there are some very important (un)official rules/terms on this forum, which you accepted upon registering.

8) Do not hesitate to ask questions, but do not bother people in private unless it's about a private matter. Opening (public) topics will likely give you a faster answer and may contain useful information for other starters.

Rule 13: "Never, ever involve lawyers", so don't steal shit.

I know it sounds funny the way I wrote it, but those are some very valid points actually. Starting simple basically means reading topics and tutorials. I started with repainting textures and remained eager to do more.

Edited by Hoppah
Englais isnt his first language =-(