Conroy

[TUT] Photoshop tutorials

This thread will contain all tutorials that I will be writing up.

How to increase the quality of an image

How to increase the quality of an image

Difficulty level: easy

First of all, start of with an image (duh!). In this tutorial I have chosen THIS image.

1dhd.jpg

Duplicate this layer (Right click the layer -> Duplicate Layer...) then set the new layer to 'Overlay' mode. Simple!

3.jpg

Result:

2yyy.jpg

How to create chevrons

How to create chevrons

Difficulty level: medium

I will be using a 500x500 canvas in this tutorial, meaning all sizes I say may not be the sizes you have.

If you do not understand this tutorial, let me know and I will create a video.

To create chevrons you first need to know the middle of your image (vertically). To do this, simply go to 'Image' -> 'Image Size...'. Under 'Document Size', change the drop down boxes to cm. Copy the width (Which in my case is 17.64cm) and open up the calculator, paste it and divide it by 2 (8.82cm). Back in photoshop, go to 'View' -> 'New Guide...', paste the calculator output into the position and make sure 'Vertically' is selected. OK it. Now you have a midpoint, then rest is pretty self explanatory.

Second, select the 'Rectangle tool' and create a vertical strip the same height as your canvas and the width is up to you. Right click the rectangle layer and select 'Rasterize Layer'. Go to 'Edit' -> 'Free Transform', and at the top change the angle to 45° (or less/more to suit your needs). Use the 'Rectangular Marquee Tool' to create a straight edge, and move the straight edge to the guide line (middle line). You should now have half a chevron.

Third, duplicate the chevron layer and go to 'Edit' -> 'Transform' -> 'Flip Horizontal'. Move the layer so it is symmetrical to your previous chevron. Now you should have one complete chevron. To make more, simply highlight both of the half chevrons and press Ctrl + E to make it a single layer. Duplicate this layer again and move it above/below the first chevron. Repeat this step as many times as you wish. Once you're finished you can highlight all the chevron layers and press Ctrl + E again to keep them in one layer.

When i make right click on the rectangle layer the rasterize layer option can no tbe selected(it appears in grey)

If you use the shape tool it creates a new layer. If you use the marquee tool and fill it in, then it doesn't create a new layer. In other words, make sure you are not in the background layer, and also make sure the rectangle you create is in a layer on its own (so when you duplicate it's only the rectangle you duplicate).